Quantcast

Should I sell my DH bike?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I wish I had a reason to own a DH bike. But Big Bear and 1 trip to Whistler per year ain't it.

My Capra has me overbiked quite often, but I may try to keep it in the stable.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Good luck with your decision ;)
As above. I'm yet to ride the DH bike. I will probably go and ride the local trails soon and then decide. I get the "keep the dh bike" ideas but me leaning toward enduro is mostly due to the fact I want to go to some remote places more. Plus unless I fix my ADHD I will still be training in a very ineffective way so I won't be nowhere near fit enough to enjoy riding dh.

PS. I really love all the edgy comments. Makes me feel like the median age on RM is 1/3 of what it really is.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Here are my 0.02 cents CDN... which is more like 0.00012 Trump cents:

My 'trail' bike is a large SC Megatower with 470mm reach and wheelbase of 1231mm. I have a Fox 38 170 in front so the reach might be a bit shorter and wheelbase longer. I have the frame set in the 'high' position with a Cascade link and chain stay in the short position. I've been riding that bike a decent amount lately, and I've had it since last summer.

My old DH bike is a medium 2015 Intense 951 Evo 27.5 with a reach of 432mm (plus 7mm with a reach adjust headset) and wheelbase of 1219mm. It has Avalanche suspension front and rear. I went to Whistler this weekend and despite the fact the bike creaks and moans, and the fact my front hub was loose...it sucked! I'm so used to modern geometry now that the 951 felt short, unbalanced and unstable, whereas my Megatower feels like a beast when descending on the local mountains.

That one day made me want to sell that thing for whatever I can get for it.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Here are my 0.02 cents CDN... which is more like 0.00012 Trump cents:

My 'trail' bike is a large SC Megatower with 470mm reach and wheelbase of 1231mm. I have a Fox 38 170 in front so the reach might be a bit shorter and wheelbase longer. I have the frame set in the 'high' position with a Cascade link and chain stay in the short position. I've been riding that bike a decent amount lately, and I've had it since last summer.

My old DH bike is a medium 2015 Intense 951 Evo 27.5 with a reach of 432mm (plus 7mm with a reach adjust headset) and wheelbase of 1219mm. It has Avalanche suspension front and rear. I went to Whistler this weekend and despite the fact the bike creaks and moans, and the fact my front hub was loose...it sucked! I'm so used to modern geometry now that the 951 felt short, unbalanced and unstable, whereas my Megatower feels like a beast when descending on the local mountains.

That one day made me want to sell that thing for whatever I can get for it.

You mean you don't like having to watch your fore and aft balance so much?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Isn't that essentially deciding not to sell?

I think @Gary was pointing out that the thread title should have been "Can I sell my DH bike?"

Of course what the hell do I know, I bought a 2013 Zerode this spring and am stoked.
Nah that was going on a ride on local trails on a big enduro bike and a big dh bike and really see if I want to sell or not. So I can make an informed decision since I didn't ride my dh bike in 3 years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's not been 100% dead, only that the bike(s) being sold are like ti cross bikes or something. Still have a good deal of parts and thingies for the other bikes, but also some supply issues if it's older. I was able to get some small parts a few months ago no problem. But will it ever come back with FS mountain bikes? Doesn't seem likely at this point.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
How much do you think FTW would charge to make one? Or do you think he wouldn't so as not to step on toes? $5K

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The roof rack on top of the now collectable 911 hard to see. Yeah, I bet with $$$ Frank would make an Aluminum version. Do it in the real Yeti Blue/Yellow combo just to mess with Yeti.