Quantcast

Should I sell my DH bike?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So after 3 years of being poor and not going to the hills that much I'm kinda going back to riding more than just pumptracks.

At first I just wanted an enduro bike to complement my DH bike but after testing a few endurers even the lower travel ones are surprisingly competent so I'm tempted to sell my DH bike. Have in mind my DH bike is a 2010 Banshee Legend so it's fairly old. The build kit is something I really like since I've managed to dial the bike to the point it gives me no issues but it's a 26'' dh bike that's a bit too small for me in size.

So right now I can either buy a used 27.5 enduro bike that's less of a full on plow machine and keep my DH bike or sell my DH rig and get something that's a bit less versatile (I hate going up anyway) for a bit more and wagon wheels ie. that Privateer bike (though it's heavy), A Nukeproof or get some new frame and build it with some good parts I find deals on.

So monkeys what should I do? Old DH bike + 150-160 more agile endurer on 27.5 or one bike that's a bit more downhill focused?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's my attitude and I'd stay with that if the DH bike was a bit longer. I will want to upgrade it to a bigger wheeled and most importantly longer bike sooner than later anyway so that's why I'm tempted.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Your money but I've got a lot friends who have said everything you just did and thought their hella rad trailbikes were dh equivalents. Then we go ride legit DH trails and they either poke along, break themselves or things on their bike. Or just quit riding rowdy trails all together.

But what you're describing is updating your dh bike, not selling it ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How good is the suspension? IME, good tuned suspension punches at least a class above it's travel would indicate, meaning you can have a shorter travel bike and eat your cake too. This is where to spend the $$$ IME.

We have some legit DH places here, but not many. Even in AZ, through all of the DHing I did with all of the "legit DHers", I never really needed 7 or 8" of travel, having a DH bike wasn't really a great idea. If you're hitting the park at least every other weekend with serious DH tracks, not just descents, maybe, but the number of people in that position are few and far between IMO. If you have tons of money, then sure get 50 bikes, but IME, it's not needed nearly as much as we *think* it is...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
No. I've done this a bunch of times now, and always wind up buying a DH bike again. I can get by fine on a 170-180mm bike on true DH terrain, but I wear out much faster and don't get the same level of confidence I get on a true DH bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No. I've done this a bunch of times now, and always wind up buying a DH bike again. I can get by fine on a 170-180mm bike on true DH terrain, but I wear out much faster and don't get the same level of confidence I get on a true DH bike.
I think the validity here is the true DH geometry, handling and stiffness of a DC is not replicated by other bikes. The tire widths and casings that are just not practical on other bikes, the slammed seat with the angle optimized for descending, the bars/stem, the stiffness of the fork not just for torsion but fore-aft, etc.

But I think where it falls apart for me is that while I could, and go a little faster, hit things a little harder, etc., reward to $$$ is a hard sell. I often say there's no substitute for a DH bike at a park or on trails that are like a park, but how much $$$ do I want to spend for that last 1/10th. With unlimited funds, no question. With limited funds, gets complicated.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Your money but I've got a lot friends who have said everything you just did and thought their hella rad trailbikes were dh equivalents. Then we go ride legit DH trails and they either poke along, break themselves or things on their bike. Or just quit riding rowdy trails all together.

But what you're describing is updating your dh bike, not selling it ;)
Selling the dh bike and not having it for 1 year, maybe 2. So kinda selling it kinda not. Not expecting the Enduro bike to be 100% capable since yeah my dh bike is really good but It is smallish (2010 M legend is smaller than even 2016 not super progressive enduro bikes)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
How good is the suspension? IME, good tuned suspension punches at least a class above it's travel would indicate, meaning you can have a shorter travel bike and eat your cake too. This is where to spend the $$$ IME.

We have some legit DH places here, but not many. Even in AZ, through all of the DHing I did with all of the "legit DHers", I never really needed 7 or 8" of travel, having a DH bike wasn't really a great idea. If you're hitting the park at least every other weekend with serious DH tracks, not just descents, maybe, but the number of people in that position are few and far between IMO. If you have tons of money, then sure get 50 bikes, but IME, it's not needed nearly as much as we *think* it is...
The suspension on what? My old DH bike has a DB Air that works really well with it since it was one of the test frames for the shock and an avy cart boxxer team. So the susp is really good there but the bike size annoys me. Then again while I'm not uber poor as in the past 3 years I'm no millionaire. Living in Poland makes it kinda hard to be super rich and I don't want to be one of those dudes who spends all his cash on bikes so the rest of his life is instant ramen and army surplus clothing.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think the validity here is the true DH geometry, handling and stiffness of a DC is not replicated by other bikes. The tire widths and casings that are just not practical on other bikes, the slammed seat with the angle optimized for descending, the bars/stem, the stiffness of the fork not just for torsion but fore-aft, etc.

But I think where it falls apart for me is that while I could, and go a little faster, hit things a little harder, etc., reward to $$$ is a hard sell. I often say there's no substitute for a DH bike at a park or on trails that are like a park, but how much $$$ do I want to spend for that last 1/10th. With unlimited funds, no question. With limited funds, gets complicated.
My problem is Poland has few good DH trails and they are usually in places that have little to offer besides that. There are like 3-4 good DH trails in the whole country + 2-3 near the border. I could do some trips to the alps in the summer but that's all plus recently I've gotten really into hopping to strange islands and finding riding spots there.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I ride plenty of rowdy stuff on my 29er enduro bike. It's a fun time, and it's surprisingly capable.

Its also definitely not a DH bike. Riding full out on my Enduro bike has me riding about as fast and gnar as a 75% effort DH run.

Do I get to go ride cool trails that aren't built for goobers with a 650mm seatposts? You bet. Do I hit jumps, drops, and rock gardens on it without giving a fuck? 100%.

If I lived near a solid DH resort, 100% I'd have a DH bike, but I just find it's harder and harder for me to make time to drive 2 hours, ride all day, and drive 2 hours back. Being able to go out for a 15-20 mile ride and be back for a late lunch is too enticing, even half (or more) of that ride was just pedaling up a hill, which sucks.

Which is why I guess a bunch of you own eBikes.

Anyway, if you're near a DH park, I'd keep it. I know I'd rather go shred a DH park more on my 2008 26" wheeled Session than I want to on my 2020 Reign 29, although I don't even have the Session anymore, which is unfortunate. DH bikes are expensive as fuck, and super difficult to find used. Usually they're utterly trashed. Yours might be too, but at least it's trashed in a way you know about, and you're not going to find out that the frame is cracked and somebody fucked you or something. It'll be fun on the 2-3x a year you ride it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Anyway, if you're near a DH park, I'd keep it. I know I'd rather go shred a DH park more on my 2008 26" wheeled Session than I want to on my 2020 Reign 29, although I don't even have the Session anymore, which is unfortunate. DH bikes are expensive as fuck, and super difficult to find used. Usually they're utterly trashed. Yours might be too, but at least it's trashed in a way you know about, and you're not going to find out that the frame is cracked and somebody fucked you or something. It'll be fun on the 2-3x a year you ride it.
The problem for me is I'm not near any mountains. 4-5h drive to closest spots. So it's a weekend thing. To some 6h.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Spend the most money on the bike that is best suited to the trails you will spend the most time on.
That's too vague. I'm not racing DH but I like DH trails. I also realize I have fewer full on dh trails to choose from than jump lines.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
As a person that's always had a DH bike, if you were going to go big trail bike that can still be capable for 'most' things, consider one of the Santa Cruz bikes (Nomad or Megatower) with Cascade link. Bigger travel yet still able to pedal.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What do you get for a 10 year old DH bike with 26" wheels? 1000 € max., if not less. If you want to get a similar bike in the future I think you will find it in the used market, however you will never know what it has seen in terms of abuse. Therefore I would say unless you really need the cash and/or space in the basement/garage/shed then NO!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
As a person that's always had a DH bike, if you were going to go big trail bike that can still be capable for 'most' things, consider one of the Santa Cruz bikes (Nomad or Megatower) with Cascade link. Bigger travel yet still able to pedal.
They are expensive and the alu versions are heavy as shit. My problem is more what type of bike not what specific bike. That will depend on late season deals. Maybe YT has something good, maybe something used pops up or maybe I'll get a base propain with a decent dropper and brakes and put an avy cart in the yari and change the shock to something used.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What do you get for a 10 year old DH bike with 26" wheels? 1000 € max., if not less. If you want to get a similar bike in the future I think you will find it in the used market, however you will never know what it has seen in terms of abuse. Therefore I would say unless you really need the cash and/or space in the basement/garage/shed then NO!
Doubt I can replace the Legend easily given how dialed the build was for the time including finding silly things like a stemcrown, all bolts being ti. If I didn't convert my boxxer to a spring the dh bike would still be at 16.3kg on 2ply tires, with saints and on sturdy components. That's why I'm hesitant to sell.

On the other hand the bike is too small. I was always in between sizes but it should be 1 size bigger. I always rode bigger bikes but the bike before it was crap and too long so I made the wrong size decision.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Doubt I can replace the Legend easily given how dialed the build was for the time including finding silly things like a stemcrown, all bolts being ti. If I didn't convert my boxxer to a spring the dh bike would still be at 16.3kg on 2ply tires, with saints and on sturdy components. That's why I'm hesitant to sell.
So you basically made up your mind. :D

On the other hand the bike is too small. I was always in between sizes but it should be 1 size bigger. I always rode bigger bikes but the bike before it was crap and too long so I made the wrong size decision.
Did you ever ride a larger Legend? Does it really work for you? They had some pretty big steps in between sizes if I remember correctly. Why not go with a reach adjust headset, which will add about 6 mm to your TT?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
How about getting a used DH frame and putting your parts on it? What’s the reach on your current DH bike?
Banshee claims it's 385mm. I was thinking about it but most used frames are 27.5 so no wheels and no fork.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sell it. You haven't used it in 3 years anyways, so will you even miss it? You already don't like the size of it.

I was in a similar boat (though never stopped riding). Stopped using my DH bike two seasons ago and just used my trail bikes for everything. Because honestly, the DH around here isn't really "DH" and the one or two times that I go to an actual DH park, I'm not lugging a bike I hardly ride 6+ hours, when I could bring a trail bike and ride the same stuff and go exploring on other trails. So I sold the DH bike earlier this year and now I have cash for some new parts or a trip.

If all else fails, just do what @Nick did and buy another one when you realize that you fucked up.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If all else fails, just do what @Nick did and buy another one when you realize that you fucked up.
That's kind of what I'm thinking about now. I will probably take my DH rig to some local trails this summer to have more feedback though.

That 170mm Radon looks tempting as a replacement. Tire clearance worries me but the ability to make the HA 63.5 means it can double as a semi replacement for the dh rig

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
*Just don't buy the replacement right at the start of a pandemic so you can't use it.
You can also crash as soon as bike riding restrictions are lifted in your country so you can't train or even move and on your first bike trip you end up with esports fitness

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't actually understand your question.

But... if you're considering a
Privateer bike (though it's heavy)
Have you actually ridden one?
I rode one a couple of weeks ago and thought for a trail bike the seat tube angle was utterly retarded.
On the flat when pedalling sat down with the dropper at full extension it feels like the BB is way too far behind your natural pedalling circle.
I "get" that it's designed to be comfortable while sat down climbing but on the flat it felt fucking horrible so as a "versatile" trail bike it's a massive fail IMO
It was also pretty cramped when seated despite being a LARGE (and that's coming from someone still happy on shorter older M sized bikes)
It did feel fine whenever stood up tho.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you have to drive that far to do a few runs on a pedal bike, get a new hobby. Train hamsters in your basement or something.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

But... if you're considering a Have you actually ridden one?
I rode one a couple of weeks ago and thought for a trail bike the seat tube angle was utterly retarded.
On the flat when pedalling sat down with the dropper at full extension it feels like the BB is way too far behind your natural pedalling circle.
I "get" that it's designed to be comfortable while sat down climbing but on the flat it felt fucking horrible so as a "versatile" trail bike it's a massive fail IMO
It was also pretty cramped when seated despite being a LARGE (and that's coming from someone still happy on shorter older M sized bikes)
Your impressions sound a lot like a a few other non-lizurd-sponsored ones I read. Seems like the bike is too specific, you either go up or down with it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Your impressions sound a lot like a a few other non-lizurd-sponsored ones I read. Seems like the bike is too specific, you either go up or down with it.
I don't have a hard time believing that it's not very versatile, and not great pedaling on flat ground, but I also think there's a place for that. It's a bit like my G16. That's another bike that's not versatile, but is exceptionally good at the things that it is good at. Maybe that means it's not a great choice for a lot of people, but it doesn't mean it's not a good choice for anybody. I think having a diversity of offerings in the market is a good thing, and that includes having weirdo bikes that are a bit more specialized in their appeal.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

But... if you're considering a Have you actually ridden one?
@toodles Hear that? Steep seat angle what?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's another bike that's not versatile, but is exceptionally good at the things that it is good at.
You mean like a dh bike?

I thought the same thing about the new gen GG megarocker front triangle when I got it.

I moved the seat back.

AND TOTALLY CHANGED MAH BUTT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHHHHHHHHHH OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Last edited: