Quantcast

Should i take this job?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
So i applied for a bike shop job at sun valley. I got a phone call today and the man said that he wont have a bike shop job yet, and that they are very sought after. He might have one in 3 weeks. He says that he has a 9-5 job that pays 9 dollars an hour with one hour lunch break (paid? idk). It roughly pays 360 a week. It consists of working in the car hanger where they keep all the sun valley Lexus cars and SUV's. My job is to wash and clean those cars and other sub duties, so i am really a shop rat. Has any one had a job like this before? Do they suck or are they not that bad :think:

Money is ok, want to see if i can get 10 an hour, my goal is to buy a 4 runner by the end of the summer.

PS: If they say that i can get things for cost at the bike shop the job is taken! :p

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
MMcG said:
Don't you live in Litchfield? What is the Sun Valley connection?
A few years ago my mom bought a condo there as an investment. So far it has increased in value about 130k. :D So we spend the summer there instead of hot and muggy Ct.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just FYI, a $9/hour job does not mean you take home $360 at the end of the week. You'll probably take home ~$300.

Also, it's not really relavant to your question, but I hope you're talking about buying a used 4-Runner. As nice as the new ones are, buying a new car at your age is an extremely bad idea. I know 'cause I did it - big mistake.

Back to the original question, my coworker's boyfriend is a detailer for a local car dealership... He really likes it a lot. It's all about your personality - if you've got an attention to detail (as he does) and are a little bit anal (as he is), you'll probably like it. You get to drool over cars you will never own, too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mack said:
Sorry, that removable back top is too tempting (the older version)

*do you drive a jeep? :nuts:
i drive a honda civic. cheapest, most reliable mode of transport i could find. if you want to be burdened by car, insurance, and repair costs, at yr age, go ahead.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Take the job if you are there for the summer. First of all, you won't be sitting on your ass all day like the rest of us, second...maybe the guys wanting to see how reliable you are and how hard of a worker you are before he makes the decision on who to hire for that much sought after bike shop job...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't get the fascination with cars. I mean, I do a little bit, but I'd rather spend half the money from the 4-runner on a reliable car and get more bikes. Hell, a friend asked me this weekend why I pedal so much while my motorcycle just sits there. I love my motor, but I love self-propelled bikes more.

As for the job, just remember, $9/hr is only appealing now. Don't let any job get in the way of making more money later on. In other words, build skills and/or go to college. That said, if you like the gig, it gets you discounts and doesn't interfere with life, sure, take it.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Well i am only 16, so i am out of school.

Its not a dealership, just a hanger where they keep all the cars that Sun Valley resort uses for taking rich people around town and stuff. Maybe i can use the lifts to jack my to be 4 runner up? :evil:

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
So i applied for a bike shop job at sun valley. I got a phone call today and the man said that he wont have a bike shop job yet, and that they are very sought after. He might have one in 3 weeks. He says that he has a 9-5 job that pays 9 dollars an hour with one hour lunch break (paid? idk). It roughly pays 360 a week. It consists of working in the car hanger where they keep all the sun valley Lexus cars and SUV's. My job is to wash and clean those cars and other sub duties
I'm finding this really ironic that he's getting a job at a bike shop to clean cars.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Here I assumed it was just Mack being his incomprehensible self. :think:

-S.S.-
Me too... I took from his post, that the bike shop owner had two jobs available. One in two to three weeks at the bike shop, and another cleaning cars which was available immediately.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it's a summer job paying $9 an hour? i'd be on that like stink on ****. especially since i like washing cars.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Sun Valley is a huge resort...

The company owns a bike shop in the resort... as well as a 2 hotels, a golf course, ski mountain, 6 restaurants and like 30 shops.

J

JRB

Curb Hucker said:
Sell Heroin :thumb:
He'd be expected to stop using then.

Take the job, mack. Maybe they won't even make you fill out an app, and won't see how much you suck at spelling or reading comprehension. :think:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
loco said:
He'd be expected to stop using then.

Take the job, mack. Maybe they won't even make you fill out an app, and won't see how much you suck at spelling or reading comprehension. :think:

It says i have to clean the toilets. Im not to sure i want this one. Damn. :dead:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
PsychO!1 said:
You're 16 frik'n years old!!! This is not a life changing decision.....do what ever the hell you want, you're 16 frik'n years old!!!!
There you go. Really mang, you're 16, so it really doesn't matter what summer job you take (as long as it's legal) because at 16 your REAL job is LEARNING, and going to school.

And do NOT get a 4 runner! And here is why: If you get an older one that doesn't have the famous head gasket problem then you will have a car that is going to need a lot of repairs and parts aint cheap for those cars. If you get a newer one you will likely end up with the dreaded head gasket problem (I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Or I just missed the post). From about 1990 - 2001 (Appx time frame) Four Runners were famous for blowing the head gasket. So much so that there are entire forums devoted to the issue, and there are class action law suits that were brought against Toyota. Eventually Toyota changed the design of the head and gasket, but not before the damage was done. Some people had the gasket blow 3 or 4 times! Oh! And if it caused engine damage Toyota might not cover it. Depending on how many miles the car has and it's age and such. I know all this because I almost bought one. I ended up getting a Honda CRV instead. Most reliable car I have ever owned. It doesn't have the style points that the Karmann Ghia had, but it goes and goes.

And maybe you should just stay home and take English and spelling in summer school instead. :D

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ciaran said:
And do NOT get a 4 runner! And here is why: If you get an older one that doesn't have the famous head gasket problem then you will have a car that is going to need a lot of repairs and parts aint cheap for those cars. If you get a newer one you will likely end up with the dreaded head gasket problem (I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Or I just missed the post). From about 1990 - 2001 (Appx time frame) Four Runners were famous for blowing the head gasket. So much so that there are entire forums devoted to the issue, and there are class action law suits that were brought against Toyota. Eventually Toyota changed the design of the head and gasket, but not before the damage was done. Some people had the gasket blow 3 or 4 times! Oh! And if it caused engine damage Toyota might not cover it. Depending on how many miles the car has and it's age and such. I know all this because I almost bought one. I ended up getting a Honda CRV instead. Most reliable car I have ever owned. It doesn't have the style points that the Karmann Ghia had, but it goes and goes.

And maybe you should just stay home and take English and spelling in summer school instead. :D
Stinky said they were great cars. Besides, enlgish school doenst pay very well. And now i am pushing a D+ in english, yyiiha. :nopity:

J

JRB

mack said:
It says i have to clean the toilets. Im not to sure i want this one. Damn. :dead:
Here's the real problem, mack. Cleaning cars is not cleaning toilets. You are a confused young man. :think:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
loco said:
Here's the real problem, mack. Cleaning cars is not cleaning toilets. You are a confused young man. :think:
I dont know why this is so difficult:

Job is rat job in hanger...

Clean cars
Clean Toilets
Clean Work Benches
Help out with other stuff.

J

JRB

mack said:
I dont know why this is so difficult:

Job is rat job in hanger...

Clean cars
Clean Toilets
Clean Work Benches
Help out with other stuff.
Thanks for clearing that up. I have never been a shop rat, so I had no idea.

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
So clean the goddamn toilets. You have a decent job offer, take it and work hard; it might be good and it might be bad, which is true of any position.
:stupid: my first day at the helm sure was kind of shaky.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mack said:
Stinky said they were great cars. Besides, enlgish school doenst pay very well. And now i am pushing a D+ in english, yyiiha. :nopity:
Oh well... as long as Stinky says they are great cars. :think: Do the research.

And if you have a D+ in English I think that's your answer right there. Go to summer school and get a better grade.

Dude... seriously you have no idea how important this will be later. You say that you don't want to clean toilets at this summer job. Well, unless you get them grades up you may end up cleaning toilets your whole life. :eek: Don't make me call your dad. (OK... old guy rant off, now go play)

Or maybe take the job and use the money for an English tutor! :D

snutty

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
Oakland in da house
Ciaran said:
There you go. Really mang, you're 16, so it really doesn't matter what summer job you take (as long as it's legal) because at 16 your REAL job is LEARNING, and going to school.

um...the HG problem was a issue with the 3.0v6 not the 3.4l V6 96 and up 4runners either had the 2.7l 4cyn or the 3.4l v6 which has no head gasket issues. The issue was with the 3.0l with came on pre 96 toyota trucks/4runners.

And waht are you talking about parts are expensive for old 4runners ? If he got the older 4runner with the 22re , if the dngine goes out he can get a master rebuild kit for 230 , steering boxes for 80 bucks.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
snutty said:
um...the HG problem was a issue with the 3.0v6 not the 3.4l V6 96 and up 4runners either had the 2.7l 4cyn or the 3.4l v6 which has no head gasket issues. The issue was with the 3.0l with came on pre 96 toyota trucks/4runners.

And waht are you talking about parts are expensive for old 4runners ? If he got the older 4runner with the 22re , if the dngine goes out he can get a master rebuild kit for 230 , steering boxes for 80 bucks.
YES! i trully do want one of those 85's with the 22 re 4 cyl. Just what i need, somthing to carry bike around yet keep them dry. :)

Its funny that i am so bad at english, i can barely string a coherent sentance together yet my sister is a english major at cornell and straight A's. Damn, every family has one i guess. :nuts:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Would i want the solid axle. Driving through the desert seem more appealing to me than rock crawling. What are the big advantages to a solid front axle other than strenght and articulation. Or should i say what are the draw backs to indipendant front.

snutty

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
Oakland in da house
stick with the 86 after 85 the trucks came with IFS .and up if your into going fast..if you ever get into cock crawing you can always convert over to a solid axel. With the SA its going to be alot more durable/less stuff yo break, you get way better flex in the rocks. Other then the 2 reasons i mention I dont see anyother things it has a major advantage over the IFS.. SA do ride like crap on the road :)

J

JRB

mack said:
Would i want the solid axle. Driving through the desert seem more appealing to me than rock crawling. What are the big advantages to a solid front axle other than strenght and articulation. Or should i say what are the draw backs to indipendant front.
It doesn't matter. You will never be able to pass the written portion of the test. ;)

Note - mack can spell articulation, but not independent.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you can't bitch about cleaning toilets till you:

a) have to scoop **** out of a toilet with a shovel
b) find a used tampon in a ziplock bag in the ladies' stall trash can
c) clean splattered **** off the lid

2 of which i have done, 1 of which i drew the long straw (thank god. so glad i didn't have to shovel ****). that was at a golf course, too.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
loco said:
It doesn't matter. You will never be able to pass the written portion of the test. ;)

Note - mack can spell articulation, but not independent.
I get it in July.

It cant be hard, the test cars are automatic compacts. Should be easier to drive than my dads stick Tundra.

J

JRB

mack said:
I get it in July.

It cant be hard, the test cars are automatic compacts. Should be easier to drive than my dads stick Tundra.
I said the "written" part, dummy. :eviltongu