Quantcast

Should i take this job?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
loco said:
I said the "written" part, dummy. :eviltongu
HEY! that permit test was hard. I got a 70 on it.

A. how far can you park withing a fire hydrant

B.how far can you park within a stop sing

c.Alchohaul affect what function first...

I said vision. Funny, my judgement always seems to rock when im drunk. :think: :nuts:

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
Hey, you were the lead in that movie, "Master and Commander of the Redundant", yeah?

:devil:
I have no idea what you speak of.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Mack is like the new dexter.

My dad must have really had it rough. He used to bitch at me for not wanting to do crappy jobs. And now *I* think that mack is being a total pussy here. If my dad were involved now, I fear his head might explode. Now to me THIS job sounds like a freakin' breeze.

Why does no-one understand anymore that everyone has to start somewhere??

I blame the MTV....

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
MMike said:

My dad must have really had it rough. He used to bitch at me for not wanting to do crappy jobs. And now *I* think that mack is being a total pussy here. If my dad were involved now, I fear his head might explode. Now to me THIS job sounds like a freakin' breeze.

I blame the MTV....
This job is a down grade. Ive been working in a bike shop (not a Sun Valley bike shop), but i dont want to go back to that old one, bad pay.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:

I blame the MTV....
Man when I was a kid I worked in a crappy K-Martish department store. Made less than $4.00/hr busted my ass and felt damn lucky to have the job. I actually give a lot of credit to whatever success I have today to that job. I'll probably be lucky enough that when I have kids they won't have to work crappy minumum wage jobs, but I'll make them do it anyway.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Westy said:
Man when I was a kid I worked in a crappy K-Martish department store. Made less than $4.00/hr busted my ass and felt damn lucky to have the job. I actually give a lot of credit to whatever success I have today to that job. I'll probably be lucky enough that when I have kids they won't have to work crappy minumum wage jobs, but I'll make them do it anyway.
EXACTLY.....

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
MMike said:
EXACTLY.....
hmm. you guys worked these "crappy jobs" in high school, no? when did you find time to study if termtime? maybe i am betraying my bourgeois roots with this, but summer was always the time for camp, whether music or otherwise. (and no, not band camp. orchestra camp :nuts: )

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Toshi said:
hmm. you guys worked these "crappy jobs" in high school, no? when did you find time to study if termtime? maybe i am betraying my bourgeois roots with this, but summer was always the time for camp, whether music or otherwise. (and no, not band camp. orchestra camp :nuts: )
I can't claim to be poor, but at the age of 15 in New York State I could legally work. At that point my parents cut off any allowance and most support for clothes and other crap. If I wanted new clothes I had to buy make money and buy them. Needless to say I never owned a pair of Air Jordans and rode Huffys. I had to work to pay for a car so I could work more and save money for college. Worked all through college too. Partying and laziness got in the way of studying not work. But I did have to quit soccer because practice and games interfered with work.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Toshi said:

Well I delivered newspapers in the morning. 7 dyas a week from the age of 11 to 18....back when that was a child's job and not some weird 40 year-old in a 1982 Thunderbird.

I washed the majority of my toilets for my summer job working at the local yacht club. I did that for a bunch of years. It was great because it was boat related and it was outside. But I had to wash toilets and deal with rotting, maggot filled fish that would wash up from time to time. Good for training the gag reflex I tell you.

Night shift dishwasher...THAT sucked...

Anyhoo

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:
Night shift dishwasher...THAT sucked...
Dishwasher was the worst job I ever had. The only job I ever got fired from, I just couldn't get myself to show up. After a few weeks all the nerve endings in my hand were so fried from hot water I could probably have juggled the wrong ends of burning road flairs. If I could juggle at all that is.

Best but crappiest job I had was a work study program. I got paid $6.00/hr to volunteer and the local animal shelter. The upside was I got to play with dogs and cats a few hours a day. The downside was I had to clean up dog and cat crap, assist in putting down dogs and cats, try not to get killed by the fighting pit bulls. The most disturbing part of the job was emptying out the body freezer when the dead pet guy came to take the popsicles to the incinerator. Used to have to beat on the body bags with a hammer when frozen legs would tangle together.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Mack - For the rest of your life, wherever you chose to work and doing whatever that may be, there will ALWAYS be some stuff at the job that you hate to do. It's a fact of life, there's no other way about it. What will differentiate you from the rest of your coworkers will be the energy and enthusiasm you have to do the dirty work. I don't mean that you have to enjoy it, but if an employer sees you working harder than everybody else, it will pay off.

Example: Your employer sees you working hard at the dealership and realizes that your effort could pay off in the bike shop. Or, your employer sees you doing the fun stuff (car driving, etc), but doesn't like how you complain and bitch about cleaning the toilets. Which attitude do you think pays off in the end?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
when i was 12, i was a bus boy at a German restaurant. i was the only bus boy that could understand English, and as such, got stuck with every job. i didn't get a discount on food, and had to steal carrots and ranch dressing to eat for dinner (i'd work 6 - midnight). after a couple months, i was accused of stealing pennies, which were actually unused butter packets that i was taking to the back to be reused. in choice words, my dad (who had done all the wiring in said restaurant, and restaurant owner's house) told the owner to **** off.

ever since then, i have never put butter packets in my pockets. and i will never, ever, ever, ever, ever again work in a restaurant.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
the Inbred said:
when i was 12, i was a bus boy at a German restaurant. i was the only bus boy that could understand English, and as such, got stuck with every job. i didn't get a discount on food, and had to steal carrots and ranch dressing to eat for dinner (i'd work 6 - midnight). after a couple months, i was accused of stealing pennies, which were actually unused butter packets that i was taking to the back to be reused. in choice words, my dad (who had done all the wiring in said restaurant, and restaurant owner's house) told the owner to **** off.

ever since then, i have never put butter packets in my pockets. and i will never, ever, ever, ever, ever again work in a restaurant.
are you serious?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
12, might've been 13. i was in middle school. i might've just worked till 11. my mom worked till 10:30 on weekends, and she'd pick me up after she got off work. butter packets, yeah, serious. only bus person able to speak enlish, serious. owner/chef dickwad, serious. he was a big customer of my dad's. ton of side electrical jobs. they don't even talk anymore.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
the Inbred said:
12, might've been 13. i was in middle school. i might've just worked till 11. my mom worked till 10:30 on weekends, and she'd pick me up after she got off work. butter packets, yeah, serious. only bus person able to speak enlish, serious. owner/chef dickwad, serious. he was a big customer of my dad's. ton of side electrical jobs. they don't even talk anymore.
Man, stories like these remind me that even the s**t work at each of the jobs I've had hasn't really been that bad.