Quantcast

Should i warranty my own bike?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
so the mid-brace for the swingarm is finally falling apart, one of the cracked sections has already chipped off, the other section is imminent. The swingarm has really lost alot of torsinal support (moreso then from the crappy design :rolleyes: ) and i'm afraid riding it further can scrap the whole assembly. Now since this piece already needs to be redesigned, i was thinking this might be an oppertunity to redesign the front end of the swingarm which has been a real dissapointment as well. Now the thing is, i'm not getting free cnc milling this time around so the venture might be pretty expensive, and i'm wondering if it's even worth it should more parts start to fail. Anyways, heres some gore, very odd fatigue pattern....guess the FEA wasent wrong this time :(

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i think its a warranty case for sure

look at the bright side of it, after you fix it youll get your mandatory "zedro CS rocks" post.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I wouldn't repair it @ shop costs...

I'd learn from the 1st project & apply that knowledge to project #2.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Considering how expensive it is to have custom parts machined, I would scrap it.
Sometimes you just have to admit that the project was a learning experience.
My first bike is $400 worth of Ti wall art.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Hey Matt... the only reason your frame is cracking is because you weren't using an Avalanche shock.

edit. Makes me wonder...if you were to forget fixing it and buy a DH frame, what would it be??

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
buildyourown said:
Considering how expensive it is to have custom parts machined, I would scrap it.
Sometimes you just have to admit that the project was a learning experience.
My first bike is $400 worth of Ti wall art.
yeah, guess i will at least get a quote. A whole new project is out of the question now, and i know what it'll take to get this one running better than before. I'd love to build a whole new one, but that would be another alpha with all the risks again. Funny thing is, this particular stress raiser was detected by the FEA, but i dismissed it as an exageration due to the constraint parameters....guess i was dead wrong. I dont even need to update the other foward swingarm parts really, just beef the current one, but i could make the design that much better i think.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
zedro said:
but i could make the design that much better i think.
Well then there's your answer. I get the feeling you're not the kind who can now just jump on someone else's bike, knowing you could be riding your own creation.

......maybe I'm wrong?

Look at how much money we all spend on bikes. Seems to me it's better to blow it on your own. What are we talking here....like a $600 replacement?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
kidwoo said:
Look at how much money we all spend on bikes. Seems to me it's better to blow it on your own. What are we talking here....like a $600 replacement?
well no more for the minimum fix at least. Guess a cost evaluation is in order, will have to weight it compared to (gasp) a new frame. Problem is i'm not happy with just doing the minimum, it makes me feel all dirty inside.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
zedro said:
well no more for the minimum fix at least. Guess a cost evaluation is in order, will have to weight it compared to (gasp) a new frame. Problem is i'm not happy with just doing the minimum, it makes me feel all dirty inside.....
That's worse than riding it till it disintegrates during a run and then you feel all dirty on the outside. I understand.

Based on your pic, you just need a new machined cross brace? More than $600 (US)? Man I have no concept of what custom cnc work costs......what the hell did the entire bike run?

Just get risse to make you a whole new rear end. :devil:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
kidwoo said:
Oooh what's a dep?

Do we need one of those down here? Probably. Send me one along with some of that politeness and courtesy I hear so much about.

Oh.....and some maudite.
dep = depanneur

and yes, you do need one of those down there, well depending on what crazy-ass state you live in i guess....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Aww man that stinks. If you are happy with how it works and are not going to build an entire new bike, you gotta rebuild that part and keep the zedmobile rocking.

You can build it better...stronger...faster than before. And probably for something less than Six Million Dollars (Canadian).

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If you didn't burn bridges at your uni, I bet you can find someone there that would be willing to help you out, or at least cut you a break on having another part done...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
ohio said:
If you didn't burn bridges at your uni, I bet you can find someone there that would be willing to help you out, or at least cut you a break on having another part done...
it was on good terms for sure, gave them beer and props too, but things got tight after the project cycle, they couldnt finish it at the time, luckily it was minor fab work i could do myself. I think the dept heads tightened their sphincters after i passed through :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
zedro said:
ooo, and maybe with sound and motion effects who's amplitude and grandeur dont seem to be relative to the significance of the particular stunt.....nannanaananaanaaa
It would be pretty cool if you could slow time around you while you remain in standard time...think of how fast your DH times could be!!!!

:thumb:

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
ive had to warrenty my own frame twice, but it comes back better then it was every time :thumb: ... Id say go for it since you dont have another design in the works...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Hmmm.... that's a bummer... and yeah...once you get your degree...the Concordia machine shop cuts you off....

Jurg Seeger (was he still there when you were there?) lives in Pointe Claire just off St. Louis near John Rennie. He might be able to help you out?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I dunno...I heard the CS for Zedro File Cabinets, Inc. is suXor...Think I even heard the owner loped off one his fingers in the shop after smoking a spliff... :evil:

Whatever you do, just make sure your next bike is rootbeer (i.e. harder to see the cracks that way)...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
There's also a small...and I mean tiny little CNC shop in Dorval off Cote de Liesse. It's a one man how. The guy has a lathe and a machining center. He did some parts for us once for a decent price. Called Euro precision