Quantcast

Should I...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Put my new Medium cage derailer on now, and keep my current long cage for a back up, Or should I Wait untill I completly destroy the current and then install the new one..... I am sooo torn on this one, still a couple more races for the series and if the Old will alst great, but at teh same time I dont want a mechanical DNF. Oh well, I cant decide tonight.

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
In most cases I would say if it aint broke don't fix it, but a medium cage will give you a little more ground clearance, but not much more.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
d00d u sound drunkzors likke i amee irght now. but in the rare cawse that you are not totally wasstered, i would switch immediatly. meduim cages shift crispter and prosent a much less chance of getting snaggered on them roxorz on the trail. long cages are like a last resort for AM bikes, for DH bikes they should not even be considered:pirate2::monkeydance::imstupid::busted::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I vote switch because the medium cage has a smaller chance of failing since its new and has more clearance. The old one will still be good for when you mess up the new one too. Basically, why risk getting a mechanical with the crappier one? Use the long cage when you absolutely need it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
By switching you should hopefully be able to remove a couple of chain links also to help stop it flapping about. Remember to leave plenty of extra length for your bikes suspension,to be safe,remove shock spring and bottom out shock while you do it. You will have to ad links if you want to go back to the long cage,or just don't use the lowest gears.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well Son of a..... Went to put the New derailer on, and If the damn thing wasnt mis boxxed...........Damnit it is a long cage in teh box. Says Medium, but its most def a long cage, oh well Sram is overnighting the proper derailer for monday.....