Quantcast

Should Mountain Biking have a Union?

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Because NORBA just doesn't care about anything but putting money in their own pockets should we rise up as riders and form a union or riders association. I really think this is the only thing that is going to make the sport grow. We the riders need to dictate what direction it goes, not some fat lawyer in Colorado Springs. Everyone at NORBA drives expensive cars and have nice homes while alot of us struggle to get to races. We spend more money each year and the races just keep getting worse. For a second year in a row their is no pro purse at nationals, but my broke ass still seems to come up with a pro purse at my little local DH races. With out us NORBA would not exsist, and I think it's time for a revolt. The only problem is how to get it started... I have no clue. Does anyone have any ideas... if you do let's hear them. The time has come to show NORBA that WE DO MATTER!

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
I've heard a lot of talk of forming a rider's committee. Have an elected committee picked solely by racers, then let the committee become our voice to NORBA. I heard someone suggest that we should have a vote after each national, and critique each of them. Did they have a well organized registration, awards, etc.? How were the courses built, what changes they should make?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Theres no possible way to start a union. In "theory" I guess it could work in some instances but the fact is that mountain biking is a huge sport. Lots and lots of people own mountain bikes and ride them for many reasons. The problem is that that its a relatively small proportion of us that race and actually care about the competition of this awesome sport. If we "rise up and revolt" then there will be a very slim chance that anything would happen. Actually I see racing ending all together as a more likely result. The fact is the sport of mountain biking doesent "need" racers. If I were in any sort of position of power I would try to model USA Cycling roughly like the US Ski Team. I see them as somewhat similar identities but I think the US Ski Team is a much more successfull organization due to several reasons.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
wow, dhtahoe, i am agreeing with you mroe and more lately. I think I must be ill?!;)

The riders don't have an "official" union, BUT they have gone to extremes on Occasion. They have refused to ride certain 4x/slalom courses due to the course design/weather. This was down to the last rider, not one person would ride it.

I think having more then simply a rider rep at NORBA is important. You need to have a committee of riders have a say in things, and the process has to be kept transparent. And im not talking about 15 pros either. I mean say 4 pros, 4 experts, 4 sport riders...people who live to ride and show up at all the races no matter thei category.

They need to include journalists as well on these commitees so voice concern both ways. Lots of photographers are in down right dangerous places on the courses, and using direct frontal flashes in the woods is dangerous to someone on the edge of control already.

Let's remember who used to call the shots for MTB...I don't think mt moore could fit on a bike, let alone race one.

NORBA is there FOR the riders, not for these fatcats to pad their pockets.:monkey:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Originally posted by Transcend
wow, dhtahoe, i am agreeing with you mroe and more lately. I think I must be ill?!;)

The riders don't have an "official" union, BUT they have gone to extremes on Occasion. They have refused to ride certain 4x/slalom courses due to the course design/weather. This was down to the last rider, not one person would ride it.

I think having more then simply a rider rep at NORBA is important. You need to have a committee of riders have a say in things, and the process has to be kept transparent. And im not talking about 15 pros either. I mean say 4 pros, 4 experts, 4 sport riders...people who live to ride and show up at all the races no matter thei category.

They need to include journalists as well on these commitees so voice concern both ways. Lots of photographers are in down right dangerous places on the courses, and using direct frontal flashes in the woods is dangerous to someone on the edge of control already.

Let's remember who used to call the shots for MTB...I don't think mt moore could fit on a bike, let alone race one.

NORBA is there FOR the riders, not for these fatcats to pad their pockets.:monkey:
I think we are agreeing more because I'm learning to word myself better, and doing better research before I say something. Have you ever been to USA Cycling in Colorado. It looks like a Mercedes-Benz dealership when you drive into the parking lot. I think it's funny that a local race promotor with around 125 entries can come up with up to $350-400 pro purse, and a national pays nothing. It's just sad that the national promotors won't dig into their already fat pockets to put up a pro purse. Then tell us that they are broke, but I make a living with only 125 people racing... WTF!!! And pay a male and female purse to top it off.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by dhtahoe
I think we are agreeing more because I'm learning to word myself better, and doing better research before I say something. Have you ever been to USA Cycling in Colorado. It looks like a Mercedes-Benz dealership when you drive into the parking lot. I think it's funny that a local race promotor with around 125 entries can come up with up to $350-400 pro purse, and a national pays nothing. It's just sad that the national promotors won't dig into their already fat pockets to put up a pro purse. Then tell us that they are broke, but I make a living with only 125 people racing... WTF!!! And pay a male and female purse to top it off.
Oh ya, been to USA cycling a few times when I lived in boulder. It is disgusting when you see their salaries (some in the 6 figure range) yet they cannot manage to get together a pro purse, and THEN they whine to the UCI when their E1 status was revoked.

Canada has E2 events, and pays a pro purse. Now Norbas have E2 status and DO NOT pay a pro purse? Yet they have 5 times the people at each event registered? Norba can get bent in my opinion.

I only go to nationals to have fun with my buddies and see friends i only see there. I have no chance of winning the $ anyways, but am heavily involved in this industry. I would love, for once, to see NORBA protect the athletes that they claim to represent, and not screw them up the wazzoo.

Dont even get me started on the license costs for you guys..when i get a UCI license for $90 cnd....hello here is your usa cycling license..would you like some vaseline with that?

edit: oh and nice to meet the new DHtahoe! :p