Quantcast

Should my brother buy a Cannondale?

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
yeah, whats your reason for telling him not to?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have a cannondale f2000, am quite satisfied with it.
got it after many bikeless months, even considered becoming a biking transvetite and getting a roadie, but in the end reason prevailed and i got me a hardtail.

although i wont take it dirt jumping.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Well though he is quite a decent rider. (DH and otherwise), he doesn't ACTUALLY partake in mountain biking perse. His current ride is a 1989 Trek 820 Antelope....sis thumbshifters, biopace, toe-clips and all. He has full slicks on it because he only rides it in the city.

IMO, he should buy a DH bike. An XC Cannondale will serve no other purpose but to replace the Trek....which still works just fine (more or less). An XC bike, onto which he would invariably mount slicks upon, makes no sense to me.

Not to mention I don't like Lefty front ends.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I had always wanted a Cannondale. When I was in highschool, I bought a Diamondback. When I first got into college, I got a full suspension Trek. I was never happy with them, I still wanted a Cannondale. I don't know why, that's just what I wanted to ride. I finally got one a year ago, a hard tail, and I love it more than any other bike I've had.

If that's what your bro wants, let him get it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hey me buck-o, that's a Trek 830 Antelope.... 820...sheesh.

Plus I've got XT, DeoreII and all kinds of other fawesome upgrades...

But riding that Canondale around sure felt nice...so quiet, so smooth... And for a pretty good deal...

And yeah, you're probably right, slicks wouldn't be that far behind the initial purchase... Which would of course necessitate a second set of wheels for convenience.... Or course with a lefty, you don't have to remove the wheel to change the tire! coooooooooooooool...

I'd like to get both a decent new commuter/XC AND a DH. But finding the time to ride either in their element is the biggest issue...

How's that Heckler of yours holding up? BTW...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
He shoudl buy a freeride / DH bike. He kept talking about it the entire day we went riding. An XC bike will be a waste as there are no xc trails around.
Which would also necessitate a nice new set of armour....

Recommendations? On the bike that is...

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
I've owned 3 cannondales now: F800 bought in 2002, Gemini bought in 2003, and a r1000 bought this spring.

All of them have been absolutely awesome bikes. I do think that they're Coda componentry is CRAP, so when I bought these bikes I upgraded parts to LX or XT to avoid Coda. With that one caveat I think the bikes are phenomenal. Very light, very nice geometry, and have had great durability. I average about 1-2 rides per week year round on the gemini. I rode the F800 a lot more than that even when it was new. The lefty on it still feels like new! Both frames still look beautiful and feel strong. The gemini has no play in the pivot and I've never done any servicing of it, even after a 10 day trip to Whistler this summer.

Great bikes, I can't say enough good things about them.

But, I am about to switch over to a Nomad just to see what that's all about. Maybe I'll ride that and realize what I've been missing.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
Sorry, I just read this thread now and thought I'd add some more points:

1. The lefty is a great fork. But, if you need to take the front wheel on and off a lot it's a real pain, and if you need to replace the front wheel there aren't as many hub options. I've had mine for 3 years now and it still feels brand new with zero servicing of any kind.

2. When I first got that F800 it had SO MUCH more travel than my previous bike. I thought I was a free-ride maniac on it. It's funny to think back on that now. Anyway, I took that bike on stuff I shouldn't have. 2-4 foot drops to flat, skinnies, and rock gardens and stuff. I pushed the bike as far as I felt I could, and it handled it just fine. If you pick up the F1000 you'll probably enjoy riding so much that it won't be long before you're buying multiple bikes etc.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
well i think my answer will be pretty obvious...i currently have 2, i have a jekyll and a chase and l love both the bikes...the jekyll has a headshock instead of the lefty and the shock is pretty basic as far as adjustability...and i've never broken a cannondale and people complain about it and i say who cares...you break it, send it back to cannondale and they'll give you a new one