Quantcast

Should overweight people get handicap tags?

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by TN_Fred
So they can park close.

I dont think so.
If their obesity is a result of a medical condition (beyond their controll) then maybe. But only with proof of such. Ifwe are talking about fat people who are fat because they are sedentary and overeat, then No. Start walking.

While we are on the topic of handicapped parking. If I see one more asshole who is not handicapped with one of those mirror hung temporary handicapped parking signs I'm going to give them a reason to need the thing.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I guess it depends on what is causing their weight problem. If it is a glandular disorder or something medical then maybe, but only if they are confined to some sort of mobility device.

If they are just lazy over eaters then I would have to say no, or more precisely hell no.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Tenchiro
If they are just lazy over eaters then I would have to say no, or more precisely hell no.
If that is the case then I say there should be special spots in the very back of the lot that make them walk as much as possible. :devil:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Motionboy2
If that is the case then I say there should be special spots in the very back of the lot that make them walk as much as possible. :devil:
That was what I was thinking.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
It depends on whether they are handicapped or not. Just because you're fat doesn't mean you're handicapped. If they have an actual physical handicap(even if due to overeating), they should get the pass. If an idiot has too much to drink at the lodge and breaks his foot while skiing, HE will get a pass. No doubt such priveledges are abused, but it's a slippery slope to tread upon.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
My mother has a heart condition and is very overweight as a result. She has a handicapped sticker.

I thought "gladular condition" was the catch all that every fat person in the world used to justify their obesity. Anybody can get a doctor to say that their obesity is a medical condition.

I think the gauge should be if walking a bit further would cause them any harm. My mom would probably die (literally) if she had to walk across a parking lot.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
not for destinations excepting
- parks
- gym
- clinic
- restaurants for the morbidly obese (buffet joints, McDeez)
- mall pkg near food court entrance
- north rim pkg at the grand canyon

in other words, any place that will help them end their situation soon.

just curious, how does this tie into political debate? are you going to be a lobbyist for fatarses? or for the SUV lobby (same thing). Kind of an unfairly baited question here at "fitness" forum.

(for another thread)
anyone know of any serious consideration for tax relief for bike commuters?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by $tinkle
just curious, how does this tie into political debate? are you going to be a lobbyist for fatarses? or for the SUV lobby (same thing). Kind of an unfairly baited question here at "fitness" forum.

I am gonna run for City Council on the fatarse ticket. :D
( i would probably win too) :rolleyes:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by TN_Fred
I am gonna run for City Council on the fatarse ticket. :D
( i would probably win too) :rolleyes:
in too many parts of the US -- maybe yours? -- the parking lots would be 90% handicapped parking :rolleyes:

The Captain

Chimp
Aug 30, 2003
High on a Mountain Top
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! Sure there are some fat people that can not help it(medical problems etc.), however most are fat because ther won't get off of their arse and do something about it. You don't need to go to the buffet and go back 6 times. eat right and do some exercise. many could be much slimmer if they made different choices about their lives. I have no sympathy for someone who has allowed themselves to get disgustingly overweight (when there is no medical condition)!!!!!!!! Make them walk farther....put designated "wide load" spaces at the end of the lot and maybe they would loose a couple of pounds.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i tell ya what fat people need to get......................................off their fat asses and quit whining. fat is gross disrespect and negiligence of their bodies. my mom is a nurse, they had a guy in her unit that could not breath well cause he was so fat that it was weighing down on his rib cage and restricting movement. did you also know that fat people can claim disability and get unemployment which means that yo uas a taxpayer are buying their food to maintain their fat asses. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
fat people gorss me out

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
a portland ambulance company has super-sized their wagons

another story about heavier duty gurnies is out there somewhere, too. Heard about it some days back.

Ctfphotos

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Astoria, NY
I think they should get that stomach band or at least exercise. Don't give them more of justification to stay obese. My dad was very overweight and he started roadbiking last year. He lost 70 pounds (not exageratting here) and now he leads group rides in his area. He still has a way to go, but it prooves it can be done. Fat people have to get off their asses and get active.

Originally posted by brock
...While we are on the topic of handicapped parking. If I see one more asshole who is not handicapped with one of those mirror hung temporary handicapped parking signs I'm going to give them a reason to need the thing.
Don't be two quick to judge. Not all handicaps are readily visible - multiple sclerosis (MS) and similar conditions come to mind.

J

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
...two quick... J
uhhh.....

sure lazy overeaters will get fat.

so, get them active (cure the laziness) and fix what they eat....

i think the bigger issue is there is too much incentive to be lazy and overeat. sugar and sugar related companies are as much to blame as the people who become dependant on there food.

i'd hazard to guess that if you tallied the amount of candy produced to the population's capacity to healthily (?) consume it, there's be a gross imbalance.

in a perfect world the DEA would replace marijuana with sugar in its attempts to free the world of evil things.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
Don't be two quick to judge. Not all handicaps are readily visible - multiple sclerosis (MS) and similar conditions come to mind.

J
When I wrote this I was thinking of a guy I saw at Home Depot who was loading a bunch of lumber off of his flat cart into his pickup, which was parked in a handicapped spot (wth the afformentioned handicapped permit).

If you are able to load lumber in your vehicle you can park with the rest of us.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by brock
When I wrote this I was thinking of a guy I saw at Home Depot who was loading a bunch of lumber off of his flat cart into his pickup, which was parked in a handicapped spot (wth the afformentioned handicapped permit).

If you are able to load lumber in your vehicle you can park with the rest of us.
you could have at least helped him by taking some of that lumber to his knees:devil:
then, no one could harrass him

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by $tinkle
a portland ambulance company has super-sized their wagons
"The ranks of the obese in Oregon have swelled from 11 percent in 1990 to 21 percent in 2000."

I'm so proud to live in Oregon....

This is a fairly interesting stat, though. Oregon has both Portland and Eugene, which contain some of the highest percentages of bicycle commuters in the U.S. The state is also legendary for its recreational opportunities. So what gives?

Oh, and I like the pun in the aforementioned quote. Wish I would have thought of that.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Originally posted by gorgechris
"The ranks of the obese in Oregon have swelled from 11 percent in 1990 to 21 percent in 2000."

This is a fairly interesting stat, though. Oregon has both Portland and Eugene, which contain some of the highest percentages of bicycle commuters in the U.S. The state is also legendary for its recreational opportunities. So what gives?

Oh, and I like the pun in the aforementioned quote. Wish I would have thought of that.
Well, Portland is usually rated amongst the top 10 most active and fit cities in the nation.

I think the scary thing here is (assuming the population of Oregon is similar to that of Portland) having ONLY 21% of your population obese is about as good as it gets now days.

What the hell happened to this country. Even my mom is obese now- and she is making my little brother that way. When I was a kid she was really thin.

As for the handicap thing- no! Absolutely not. For that guy whose mom has the heart condition- she can get the pass for her heart condition- not for being overweight. People don't deserve special privlidges for ruining their bodies. Should we also have like a special ex-groupie druggy parking spot? How about spots for people who choose to hop on one foot?

Drew360

Chimp
Nov 4, 2003
California
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
No, they shoud get wide load tags :devil:
LMFAO!!! i dislike fat people that do it to themselves by overeating. if there is a medical condition like thyroid or somthing thats a little different, but to say "im so fat" and then go eat at the local fast food joint. IT MAKES ME SICK

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Originally posted by gorgechris

Yeah, but I bet the didn't count all the tweakers and other drug users(used to work right next to the Max stop in Beaverton), they are all skinny, that should drop the precentage down some. The way I see it, drug addicts and food addicts balance eachother out. Sortof how SUV drivers are the anti-cyclist.:devil:

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I'm still confused as to the glanular causes of obesity.

Can anybody explain it to me in a logical and clear way in laymans terms? I'm not stupid but all the theory I learned about fat, carbs, protein et al when I was an XC whippet don't gel with 'glandular' stuff I've heard.

It may seem harsh but to me it seems like an excuse for being fat.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by fluff
I'm still confused as to the glanular causes of obesity.

Can anybody explain it to me in a logical and clear way in laymans terms? I'm not stupid but all the theory I learned about fat, carbs, protein et al when I was an XC whippet don't gel with 'glandular' stuff I've heard.

It may seem harsh but to me it seems like an excuse for being fat.

Perhaps your inability to comprehend this is a glandular disorder....

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by MMike
Perhaps your inability to comprehend this is a glandular disorder....
You mean I can claim my stupidy is glandular?

If we redefine the brain as a gland (after all it contains some) I'm home free - handicapped by stoopidity!

The only people I see claiming obesity is glandular seem to be trying to sell a cure..

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
You know...I think I read somewhere that there have been societies in human history that would push you off a cliff if you couldn't physically assist in the advancing of society...maybe we should institute something like that?? :devil:

I fully admit that I judge heavy people way too harshly...but I agree, unless there's a documented medical reason (beyond glandular) they shouldn't have a handicapped sign. Both my parents, who have pretty severe health problems, have successfully gone from being fairly overweight to being on the skinnier side of society (my dad's change has been amazing!!!) in the past year.

But another debateable handicapped assignment is a fairly recent change that people under 5' tall qualify. Now...I'll admit at 5'1" it can get old always sitting down and your toes not quite touching, or climbing on top of counters to reach things, or having it be funny to your buddies that your head doesn't show over the steering wheel...but c'mon now...;) This is as bad as giving a handicapped sticker to a fat person.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
I'm confused to the glandular causes too. It seems a pretty simple equation to me.

If calories consumed are greater than calories burned, you get fat! Simple as that!

If you have a glandular problem or a "slow metabolism" or something that supposedly make you fat, why not just consume fewer calories or work out more? You don't always have to eat the typical enormous TGIFridays portions.