Quantcast

should recreational use of marijuana be legal?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Yes for medicinal use.

Yes for recreational use, so long as it is controlled (a la regular cigarettes). Use it at home all you like, just don't use it in restaurants, etc.

Jun 15, 2006
sorry, didnt realize theres already a bunch like this before i posted, anyway, give me some thoughts as to why its still illegal and what you think should be done

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I wonder which is more ecologically friendly?

Booze requires crops, but I wonder if you were to produce the volumes of weed required to satisfy the market, if it were to become just another crop that puts pressure on the environment (irrigation, erosion, all that jazz...) hence, another problem to worry about and/or argument to not legalize...

Less harmful packaging than booze I bet...

I think it should be legal. You get bored with it eventually, to the point where you hardly ever touch it at all. If you don't, well, I guess that will help pay to fix our roads.

I pass this thread along...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
if its a USDA controled substance then of course!
So... is that your only rationale? That someone arbitrarily added it to a controlled substance list?

If they put alcohol on the list, would you agree that alcohol should be a banned substance? If so, why? Because someone else decided it should be?

It's fine to follow the letter of the law as in, you won't smoke pot because it's illegal. It's another thing to agree with the letter of the law, though. Do you agree with it being on the controlled substance list?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
So... is that your only rationale? That someone arbitrarily added it to a controlled substance list?

If they put alcohol on the list, would you agree that alcohol should be a banned substance? If so, why? Because someone else decided it should be?

It's fine to follow the letter of the law as in, you won't smoke pot because it's illegal. It's another thing to agree with the letter of the law, though. Do you agree with it being on the controlled substance list?

I don't think there is anything arbitrariy about the list at all... pot has been well proven to be to a gateway drug.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Old Man G Funk said:
So is alcohol. So is tobacco. So is caffeine.

I will agree that the tweed is more of a gateway drug than the above, but only because it is illegal and it makes people who try it think that illegal drugs are not that dangerous. If it were legal it would be no more of a gate than the above

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
N8 said:
What? You are all sad because your little high isn't legal? What, you are too good for caffine?

Boo-hoo!!!
There are plenty of people who choose not to smoke weed, who are intelligent enough to see that there is no reason weed shouldn't be legalized.

It really doesn't surprise me though that you're not capable of grasping the concept that a law might be flawed.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
There are plenty of people who choose not to smoke weed, who are intelligent enough to see that there is no reason weed shouldn't be legalized.

It really doesn't surprise me though that you're not capable of grasping the concept that a law might be flawed.

I don't think the law is flawed at all. Weed is a bad idea. No way I'd endorse it's use with my kids.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:

If it were legal I'm sure N8 would post pictures of his $900 queer assed designer bong and rave about the latest Zima flavoured strain.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8, Your attempt to get a rise isn't accomplishing anything, I was just asking if you had a rationale behind agreeing with the controlled substance list, or if you were just agreeing with it because it was the law.

Westy, that's something I've always thought was wrong. Even if it wasn't a legality issue, pot is so demonized by the drug abuse prevention programs that the result is someone trying it, realizing it isn't so bad, and not giving proper respect to drugs that really are dangerous; there's no distinction there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Besides it ain't like there is a shortage of other legal ways to "get your buzz on..."

:p
Much more dangerous legal ways too.

Why do you think pot is "bad" or worse than say a handful of martinis?

I have spent a lot of time around a lot of dumbasses who have gotten in trouble. These folks drank and smoked. Everytime they got in trouble it was because they were drunk. Non of them got arrested, got in a fight, or killed someone in a car because they were high.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
Westy said:
Much more dangerous legal ways too.

Why do you think pot is "bad" or worse than say a handful of martinis?

I have spent a lot of time around a lot of dumbasses who have gotten in trouble. These folks drank and smoked. Everytime they got in trouble it was because they were drunk. Non of them got arrested, got in a fight, or killed someone in a car because they were high.
I fully agree

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If anyone has a question on why it was outlawed check out the History channel series on illegal drugs. Like most drugs it was made illegal because of racism and immigration. When just white folks were getting high it was fine, now when someone with a darker complection starts getting stoned it becomes an issue.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Personally I could care less if the stuff is legal or not. I do get pissed about the hypocrisy and involved in all of it and would be happy to see the burden removed from the legal and penal system that it being illegal causes.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
Personally I could care less if the stuff is legal or not. I do get pissed about the hypocrisy and involved in all of it and would be happy to see the burden removed from the legal and penal system that it being illegal causes.
Life isn't about fair, sorry...

:(

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
N8 said:
I don't think there is anything arbitrariy about the list at all... pot has been well proven to be to a gateway drug.

I can't speak to the various studies but only to my personal experiance. As a kid I tried weed. Then I tried other drugs (coke, pills, shrooms, etc.) I no longer do any other drugs, but I do partake of the hemp at times. I didn't do those other drugs because I smoked some weed but because I was young and stupid. I probaly would have tried drugs even without the weed.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The gateway drug argument only works whilst it is illegal and you have to go to your dealer to get it, who can also supply you with other illegal drugs. Once it is legal, no dealer = no gateway to other drugs.

Pot is not as dangerous as alcohol or tobacco. Period. Drug laws are hypocritical.

I would legalise weed, coke, opium, mushrooms, LSD but not crack or heroin.

Legalise, tax and regulate = Billions of $$$.