Quantcast

Should we doubt Jan again?

Would you like to see Jan win the TdF this year?

• Total voters

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I've been reading about a lot of right knee problems he's been having and now he goes and finishes 90th at the Tour of Romandie. Oooof, can he improve by July?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I didn't like either of the choices in the poll, so no vote from me :)

it's not that I don't want him to win or don't think he deserves it, but I'll be rooting for others.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
LordOpie said:
I didn't like either of the choices in the poll, so no vote from me :)

it's not that I don't want him to win or don't think he deserves it, but I'll be rooting for others.
Ohhhh sure, you have to be different. Fit in my box dammit :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
unless Jan was softballing this one or just had a really bad day, then we should certainly be doubting him. He finished, what, almost 30 seconds down in a 4 or 5 minute time trial? I know similar things have happened in past years, but did anyone read this from last week?

Riis calls Ullrich's form "catastrophic"

According to Danish newspaper BT, CSC team director Bjarne Riis has said that Jan Ullrich's current level of fitness was a "absolutely catastrophic". The Dane, who ended the reign of Miguel Indurain at the Tour de France 1996, as his then-teammate Ullrich placed second one year prior to his own Tour de France victory, criticised the German's attitude towards his sport after seeing him in Tuscany.

"It's clear that he doesn't like to ride a bike, which is why I can't understand why he wants to be a cyclist," Riis was quoted as saying. "It's a waste of talent. He has to wake up soon. I believe in him less and less." While admitting that Ullrich remained inside the circle of favourites for this year's Tour de France, the CSC director also added that his own Ivan Basso was "way ahead" in terms of form.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
No vote for me either... I'll be routing for other riders, but he has certainly put in his time. That said, I think he'll be in the top 10, maybe the top 5, but definitely not win. I think he missed his chances (or rather Postal took them from him) and he's now on the backside of his career.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I don't think he's going to step up and pose a big threat. He's never come through in the past when there was so much hype around him.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
JRogers said:

According to Danish newspaper BT, CSC team director Bjarne Riis has said that Jan Ullrich's current level of fitness was a "absolutely catastrophic". The Dane, who ended the reign of Miguel Indurain at the Tour de France 1996, as his then-teammate Ullrich placed second one year prior to his own Tour de France victory, criticised the German's attitude towards his sport after seeing him in Tuscany.

"It's clear that he doesn't like to ride a bike, which is why I can't understand why he wants to be a cyclist," Riis was quoted as saying. "It's a waste of talent. He has to wake up soon. I believe in him less and less." While admitting that Ullrich remained inside the circle of favourites for this year's Tour de France, the CSC director also added that his own Ivan Basso was "way ahead" in terms of form.
Oooh, bitchy bitchy bitchy.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Sour grapes, methinks. Riis is just sore because he didn't get his doping right for his try at a second TdF win and had to support Jan. Jan would have easily won the Tour that Riis did win, except he had to ride for Riis. I don't know if Jan still has what it takes, but being in top form in April is not the way to win the TdF. Jan said he was riding well within himself in that prologue TT; he's just starting his season and using this tour to train. He may surprise us. And then again he may not.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
DRB said:
I'd like to see him win but he won't.

Basso is the guy.

Though I'm not ready to talk tour. I wanna talk Giro.
Yeah! It's almost Giro time baby... and just found out that Dish Network has come to terms with OLN which is now back up and running!!! I wanna see Cunego come back and redeem himself. He was in the hunt at Liege. Can't wait to see the penultimate stage when they go up this ungodly 24% thing on dirt (some like Simoni will be switching to mtbs for the ascent). As far as the Tour goes... I'm gonna go dark horse and give a nod to Vino (tho his team is no CSC). But I also think that Landis is having just a monster year and will make some noise as will Valverde.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
JRogers said:
unless Jan was softballing this one or just had a really bad day, then we should certainly be doubting him. He finished, what, almost 30 seconds down in a 4 or 5 minute time trial? I know similar things have happened in past years, but did anyone read this from last week?

So Bjarne, what do you think of Ullrich today?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
He might not win the TdF, but Jan certainly proved he still got some left in the tank...

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
We know Jan could climb with the best a few years ago. And we now know he's still a TT monster even when he's not fully fit. So I think this will be an exciting Tour. We'll see how Jan climbs in the Giro if he decides to go for it on one of the mountain stages. I would never count him out in the Tour.