Quantcast

Should we start getting worried?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So now Isreal is bombing Palestine and Lebanon. I guarantee you that Palestine and Lebanon are not going to just sit there and take it up the ass. How long before this escalates to a nuclear war?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Echo said:
So now Isreal is bombing Palestine and Lebanon. I guarantee you that Palestine and Lebanon are not going to just sit there and take it up the ass. How long before this escalates to a nuclear war?
same sh*t, different day

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
when i heard that on cnn when i woke i thought "the **** has hit the fan".

lately i´ve been realpolitik-mussing about stuff like the geneva conventions and the rules of engagements.. and i´ve had some icky ideas...

i agree with the principle behind them. GC and ROE provide a more humane treatment to those involved in war and, in a way, lower the "necessary" amount of damage and pain and places a powerful incentive NOT to use excesive force. (like not doing 20 years for war crimes).

but i believe sometimes ROE and the GC can cause more destruction and pain, specifically in scenarios for which they were not thought for to begin with.
they can sometimes go against the very same principle they were established for.

ROE for example, provide certain excemptions abused by terrorist groups to inflict damage to "regularly" ROE abiding armies. this can sometimes prolong war for longer than it would have taken IF said groups were not certain their tactics would be indirectly protected by ROE.

taking about the real world, in wars between regular armies and paramilitaries (regardless of who was right)... colombia, peru, vietnam, iraq, israel, etc, etc.....
peru got rid of its commie guerilla after 12 years with the army playing nasty tricks. i agree the tricks were nasty and everything my "liberal" mind can get a grip on... BUT i cannot deny they were effective.

did less people died (and peace was achieved) as a result of that, than it would have been IF ROE and every other rules were followed?
i believe now, after the fact, we can establish less people died.

does that justify them????
if saving lives doesnt justify its use, then "saving lifes" cant justify "the principle of killing less people"????

btw, i dont believe ROE, GC and others should not apply to regular armies fighting between them, nor that every humanitarian rule should be rejected... flame me away....

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
you'd think that by now all the surrounding countries would know better than to f... with israel.
because they'll bomb the crap outta ya without giving it a second thought.

and they don't care if any of us like it or not.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
dhbuilder said:
you'd think that by now all the surrounding countries would know better than to f... with israel.
because they'll bomb the crap outta ya without giving it a second thought.

and they don't care if any of us like it or not.
Why do abused women return to their man?

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
ALEXIS_DH said:
when i heard that on cnn when i woke i thought "the **** has hit the fan".

lately i´ve been realpolitik-mussing about stuff like the geneva conventions and the rules of engagements.. and i´ve had some icky ideas...

i agree with the principle behind them. GC and ROE provide a more humane treatment to those involved in war and, in a way, lower the "necessary" amount of damage and pain and places a powerful incentive NOT to use excesive force. (like not doing 20 years for war crimes).

but i believe sometimes ROE and the GC can cause more destruction and pain, specifically in scenarios for which they were not thought for to begin with.
they can sometimes go against the very same principle they were established for.

ROE for example, provide certain excemptions abused by terrorist groups to inflict damage to "regularly" ROE abiding armies. this can sometimes prolong war for longer than it would have taken IF said groups were not certain their tactics would be indirectly protected by ROE.

taking about the real world, in wars between regular armies and paramilitaries (regardless of who was right)... colombia, peru, vietnam, iraq, israel, etc, etc.....
peru got rid of its commie guerilla after 12 years with the army playing nasty tricks. i agree the tricks were nasty and everything my "liberal" mind can get a grip on... BUT i cannot deny they were effective.

did less people died (and peace was achieved) as a result of that, than it would have been IF ROE and every other rules were followed?
i believe now, after the fact, we can establish less people died.

does that justify them????
if saving lives doesnt justify its use, then "saving lifes" cant justify "the principle of killing less people"????

btw, i dont believe ROE, GC and others should not apply to regular armies fighting between them, nor that every humanitarian rule should be rejected... flame me away....
Do I understand yoiu correctly that you think GC and ROE shouldn't be applied when a rerular army is fighting a guerilla?

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Echo said:
NO. Israel is so strong with their conventional weapons they don't need to use their a-bomb.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Bear in mind that so far (according to figures from the BBC):

Hezbollah has killed 8 Israeli soldiers and captured 2, and killed 1 Israeli civilian

The Israeli army has killed an unknown no of Hezbollah guerillas and 27 Lebanese civilians (of which 10 were children).

Hezbollah suck btw.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rockwool said:
Do I understand yoiu correctly that you think GC and ROE shouldn't be applied when a rerular army is fighting a guerilla?

as eerie and hair rising as it may sound, yes.

i dont believe regular armies should be bound by ROE when facing established guerillas.
GC, not every one of them.
:hot:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
fluff said:
Bear in mind that so far (according to figures from the BBC):

Hezbollah has killed 8 Israeli soldiers and captured 2, and killed 1 Israeli civilian

The Israeli army has killed an unknown no of Hezbollah guerillas and 27 Lebanese civilians (of which 10 were children).

Hezbollah suck btw.
Seems like the Israelis got the lead in this match aswell..

I don't think Hizbollah suck. They are a product of their enviroment and a guerilla movement.
The western world lable them as terrorists but that is a butcher labeling the meat. If this was the 1770's the Brittish would have labled the American freedom movement as terrorists.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rockwool said:

I don't think Hizbollah suck. They are a product of their enviroment and a guerilla movement.
The western world lable them as terrorists but that is a butcher labeling the meat. If this was the 1770's the Brittish would have labled the American freedom movement as terrorists.
i see the lack of guerrillas and general peacefulness in scandinavia creates funny ideals......

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
ALEXIS_DH said:
as eerie and hair rising as it may sound, yes.

i dont believe regular armies should be bound by ROE when facing established guerillas.
GC, not every one of them.
:hot:
But then they wouldn't have to follow the law?!!
Recently the US supreme court ruled that special courts for "terrorists" were illegal. Now even in that crazy country there is some powerful people that say that even the mighty military have to abide by the same rules that every body else has too.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rockwool said:
But then they wouldn't have to follow the law?!!
Recently the US supreme court ruled that special courts for "terrorists" were illegal. Now even in that crazy country there is some powerful people that say that even the mighty military have to abide by the same rules that every body else has too.
am not saying they should all be discarted..

but i believe a new set is required. plus the whole idea of "special courts" isnt that crazy... military personnel are already judged on "special courts" too....

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
ALEXIS_DH said:
i see the lack of guerrillas and general peacefulness in scandinavia creates funny ideals......
There's nothing radical in that conclusion. It's proven through history that opponants of the ruling power have been labled with words similar to "terrorist".

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
rockwool said:

Whilst I can understand that "today's terrorists are tomorrow's freedom fighters" I find it hard to justify attacks upon civilians. If Hezbollah were to restrict their actions to only military targets (and I would even concede diplomatic at a stretch) then you might have a point.

However, Hezbollah is also believed by the United States to have kidnapped and tortured to death U.S. Marine Colonel William R. Higgins and the CIA Station Chief in Beirut, William Buckley, and to have kidnapped around 30 other Westerners between 1982 and 1992, including the American journalist Terry Anderson, British journalist John McCarthy, the Archbishop of Canterbury's special envoy Terry Waite and Irish citizen Brian Keenan. (Source wikipaedia but it is generally held to be true.)

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
ALEXIS_DH said:
am not saying they should all be discarted..

but i believe a new set is required. plus the whole idea of "special courts" isnt that crazy... military personnel are already judged on "special courts" too....
It's hippocritical!
There is no difference to a guerilla than to a regular army just because they don't wave another coloured flag than the ones they are fighting.
The type of warfare that they do does not rule them out as any different eather. The whole swedish army is buillt up in smaller guerilla units and the main battle form they use is guerilla ambushing.
To win a war/battle you have to master tactics just like in a game of football; different offensive/defensive combinations.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
fluff said:
Whilst I can understand that "today's terrorists are tomorrow's freedom fighters" I find it hard to justify attacks upon civilians. If Hezbollah were to restrict their actions to only military targets (and I would even concede diplomatic at a stretch) then you might have a point.

However, Hezbollah is also believed by the United States to have kidnapped and tortured to death U.S. Marine Colonel William R. Higgins and the CIA Station Chief in Beirut, William Buckley, and to have kidnapped around 30 other Westerners between 1982 and 1992, including the American journalist Terry Anderson, British journalist John McCarthy, the Archbishop of Canterbury's special envoy Terry Waite and Irish citizen Brian Keenan. (Source wikipaedia but it is generally held to be true.)
Yes there is no justification to attacking civilians. But if you occupy another country its bound to happen. We should also remember all the mental **** people in a warzone go through (which is to abstract to understand for us who haven't lived it).
Israeli civilians dying is a REACTION not an ACTION to the occupations of Palestine!
US military in Lebanon? What were they doing there anyways, protecting the 53'd state?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rockwool said:
It's hippocritical!
There is no difference to a guerilla than to a regular army just because they don't wave another coloured flag than the ones they are fighting.
The type of warfare that they do does not rule them out as any different eather. The whole swidish army is buillt up in smaller guerilla units and the main battle form they use is guerilla ambushing.
To win a war/battle you have to master tactics just like in a game of football; different offensive/defensive combinations.
no its not.
in a regular army there is a somewhat established chain of command, where there if a face for accountability and so on.

in a guerilla you are bound to get the "wasn´t me" card a lot. that makes for more "innecesary" damage in the long term.
and dont tell me "guerrillas" are effective tactics to "win". for the most part, they just prolong the defeat of whoever resorts to them, killing more people in the meanwhile.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
rockwool said:
Yes there is no justification to attacking civilians. But if you occupy another country its bound to happen. We should also remember all the mental **** people in a warzone go through (which is to abstract to understand for us who haven't lived it).
Israeli civilians dying is a REACTION not an ACTION to the occupations of Palestine!
US military in Lebanon? What were they doing there anyways, protecting the 53'd state?
Did you justify the torture and the kidnappings?

It is important to separate right from wrong regardless of the situation. Even during the occupation of Lebanon by Israeli forces if Hezbollah employ such tactics as kidnapping & killing the citizens of other nations (and hence non-combatants in any sense) then they are clearly utilising terrorist tactics. That makes them terrorists.

None of which justifies, or is justified by, any other questionable actions by any other parties.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Serial Midget said:
Anyone else think its time to stop giving Isreal money and let natural selection take its course?
the first half of that statement just might be the taproot of all of the u.s.a.'s middle east problems.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
dhbuilder said:
the first half of that statement just might be the taproot of all of the u.s.a.'s middle east problems.
A effing men

This is not good for the US, not good for anyone. effing religions.

Sep 29, 2004
rockwool said:
There's nothing radical in that conclusion. It's proven through history that opponants of the ruling power have been labled with words similar to "terrorist".
except theres a huge difference between shooting at army regulars and blowing up a car in a crowded city street full of civillians

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
There is one huge difference!

Is the Israelis don't attack the Palistinians unless provoked.

The arabs on the other hand are continually attacking Israel with terrorism and with conventional weapons.

Why should the world condem Israel for defending against her attackers?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
rockwool said:
It's hippocritical!
The type of warfare that they do does not rule them out as any different eather. The whole swidish army is buillt up in smaller guerilla units and the main battle form they use is guerilla ambushing.
So if Norway got its' collective panties in a bunch and started ambushing your guerilla units, that would be just like an occupying force, using proper ROE's and following the GC, getting picked off??......wow....just wow....

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
N8 said:
There is one huge difference!

Is the Israelis don't attack the Palistinians unless provoked.

The arabs on the other hand are continually attacking Israel with terrorism and with conventional weapons.

Why should the world condem Israel for defending against her attackers?
Well, the Israelis are occupying the Palestinians & Syrians/Lebanese territory so you could argue that the occupation is an act of aggression.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
fluff said:
Well, the Israelis are occupying the Palestinians & Syrians/Lebanese territory so you could argue that the occupation is an act of aggression.

there never was a 'palestinian' state... and the other 3 countries lost their territory after attacking Israel in the 1960's and lost.