Quantcast

Shoulder braces following dislocation

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Having recently dislocated my shoulder, I've been looking into shoulder braces that would give me back some joint stability--now that the soft tissue in the joint has been screwed.

Can anyone recommend a brace from experience following a dislocation (I did NOT "separate my shoulder"/separate my acromioclavicular joint)? What do your riding buddies who have had dislocations use/have good luck with?

This is what I've found so far:

EVS SB03 (what I've been using)

McDavid Universal Shoulder Support

Donjoy Sully Shoulder Support

Donjoy Sawa Shoulder Stabilizer (doubles as S&M device)

Last edited:

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
I never used one for bicycle riding, but have used the Sully for football. They are not cheep first off, also not real real easy to put on by yourself. And for me it got a little tight, although that may have been because I was getting bigger. I was quite happy with mine, although it can get pretty hot in there. It's going to limit your range ALOT (depends on how it's set up)...but it did a good job keeping my shoulder in for the time.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I used a different evs brace that doesn't look as chunky as yours. Used it for a year or so afterwards for riding and also for playing soccer.

Really liked it, it just seemed to tighten up a bit of the slop that I had in my shoulder and made me feel more confident.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I tried using one and I couldn't ride safe/comfortably with it on. =\ I used the old 661 brace (very similar to the EVS one).

I would highly suggest just putting your arm in a sling and waiting a few weeks before trying to ride on it again. Your body needs time to heal.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I used the EVS for a bit after surgery, I liked it. Worked pretty well, just a PITA to get it adjusted right. Also got pretty hot, but was low-pro enough to wear under body armor.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
A proper rehab of weight/resistance training and flexibility/ROM will be worlds better than any of those glorified neoprene things.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
A proper rehab of weight/resistance training and flexibility/ROM will be worlds better than any of those glorified neoprene things.
True no doubt, my intent is to use a brace to bring as much integrity back to my shoulder as possible, even after rehab. If I don't have a damaged acetabular labrum, there's no way the ligaments will be as taught as they used to be. I'm looking for an increased safety factor here. :thumb:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah I hear ya, I was just saying that because I've had a few friends who have tried the neoprene braces and found them to be more a psychological advantage than a physical one.

Everyone I know who simply keeps their shoulders strong with post-injury rehab seems to do pretty well, though. I've broken both of my shoulders, each one a different injury, but both were functional breakages of how my shoulder worked. Both injuries I simply did the rehab and both shoulders have been good since their injuries (sternum-right clavicle separation 2003; broken left scapula 2004).

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I had an Anterior seperation and Dislocation in August and through many months of Rehab and time in the gym im able to ride DH again. I still get sore from time to time but IMO if you have to wear a brace to be able to ride your bike you probably shouldnt be riding. I know people say once you have seperated your shoulder its very easy to do again, but from my research and discussions with physio people, if you wore your sling properly for the correct amount of time from the start of your injury it greatly increases your chances of Full recovery.
My specific issue is that I tore certain muscles that are next to impossible to rehabilitate. Behind the shoulder blade is a pretty hard part of the body to target in the gym.
Good luck.

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
Going through a ton of dislocations with both shoulders and a fractured scapula I spent a lot of time in the Donjoy. Its very pricey, but with the prescription you might be able to get your insurance to help - I got a lot of it covered. It works very well but is very restricting (obviously). It physically stops your arm from getting into any position to cause a dislocation - if your serious about your riding/sports those neoprene ones don't cut it (a lot stretch under forcible impact) You have to wear it real tight around your chest to work well so it takes getting used too. My shoulders would pop out whenever I fell on them and this brace saved me multiple times snowboarding.

Although surgery is the only real answer (sucks but true - I had orthoscopic on my left and reconstructive this past winter for the scapula on my right) the Donjoy will work as a temporary solution.

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Reviving an old thread here...

Just DL'd my shoulder for the second time this past sunday. Did it again in my sleep last night. Not stoked. I had made it 4 months since my first injury and was basically riding 100% with no pain or instability. In this instance, I didn't even crash, I hucked something stupid to flat on the DH bike and my shoulder blew out upon impact. Not sure if a brace would have helped or not, but if it could save me from more dislocations in the future, I'll gladly buy one.

I know the deal with dislocations...soft tissue gets more damaged each time, lots of PT and time off the bike required, etc. I know surgery is the only "real" fix, but it seems kind of pointless if I'm still riding/crashing hard. Surgery would also take me out of work (trailbuilder) for a long time and I can't really afford that right now. Keep in mind i'm not trying to use the brace as a band-aid fix to get back on the bike. I'm wanting ANY extra protection I can have after I rehab my shoulder and start riding again; to hopefully prevent another setback like the one I just had.

The Sully and the EVS look decent. The sully is significantly more expensive but looks similar in function. I like that the EVS is designed with a moto background and might be more comfortable to ride in. That said, if another is actually more functional, i'm not afraid of the extra money. Any updated experiences with these things?

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Hey Mulestar, sorry to hear about the re-injury! I've actually used the EVS (older version), the Sawa, and mostly the Sully brace since my dislocation. I went through PT and was told that I needed surgery, but that is easier said than done in the VA Healthcare System! So I've been riding with braces at all times.

The EVS was okay at first, but not as secure as I would like. The Sawa, I've come to find, is used by quite a few people post-rehab to prevent re-dislocation from hyper abduction/external rotation. I used it and couldn't breathe for crap if I wanted it to do anything. Others who use it seem to run it very loose. Support-wise, it's just not there though.

The Sully is what I've found to be the best and continue to use. Breathing is still tough if everything is run snug enough to instill a sense of security, but it's the most secure system I've found to try to push the head of the humerus into the glenoid fossa in an attempt to keep it there. If you managed to fully abduct your shoulder and fall on it though, it probably wouldn't do much. :think:

P.S.: the Sully as well as the Sawa get very hot as well.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
The best thing is to rest and heal at first (3 weeks), then you need to strenghten your shoulder with exercises and weight lifting. Shoulder needs to be supported by strong muscles that add stability. It helped me, but it's never the same as before :(

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
The best thing is to rest and heal at first (3 weeks), then you need to strenghten your shoulder with exercises and weight lifting. Shoulder needs to be supported by strong muscles that add stability. It helped me, but it's never the same as before :(
same here....
FWIW, i used a 661 shoulderbrace and it did help during recovery and PT, but in no way i would suggest to rely on it for serious riding or any other exercise, that could have an impact on your shoulder.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2011
Also used the Sully for football, good brace but as mentioned can get hot with it's no slip rubber stuff on it. Works great though, get some Therabands too.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Thanks guys. I've got the therabands, some small weights, and a pretty good PT routine I'm gonna start once it rests for a week or so. Let me know if anyone has any exercises or techniques that worked especially well.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
The braces definitely help if you're just trying to get by until it's a good time to have surgery. Just keep them tight and baby your shoulder until you can get cut open and get that thing dialed in. If you're dislocating your shoulder while you're sleeping, try sleeping with your hand in your pocket. I know it sounds silly, but that was the only thing that worked for me for a long time. I finally got to the point where I had to keep my hand in my pocket all day so that's when I knew it was really time for surgery.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Are you scheduled for an MRI? If you're repeatedly dislocating the same shoulder, surgery might be indicated. But no MD is going to do anything sans MRI/X-ray. I'd say that's the first stop prior to the PT sessions/home exercise plans with weights/Therabands. After everything is cleared, THEN you can proceed with HEP including deltoid exercises, internal/external rotations, scaptions, etc.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Are you scheduled for an MRI? If you're repeatedly dislocating the same shoulder, surgery might be indicated. But no MD is going to do anything sans MRI/X-ray. I'd say that's the first stop prior to the PT sessions/home exercise plans with weights/Therabands. After everything is cleared, THEN you can proceed with HEP including deltoid exercises, internal/external rotations, scaptions, etc.
That's not quite true. A good doc can tell based on your symptoms and just feeling your shoulder through it's ROM to determine what kind of surgery is going to be needed. MRI's for shoulders could be a waste of money if you already are repeatedly dislocating it. Save your pennies and get it fixed up instead.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Reviving an old thread here...

Just DL'd my shoulder for the second time this past sunday. Did it again in my sleep last night. Not stoked. I had made it 4 months since my first injury and was basically riding 100% with no pain or instability. In this instance, I didn't even crash, I hucked something stupid to flat on the DH bike and my shoulder blew out upon impact. Not sure if a brace would have helped or not, but if it could save me from more dislocations in the future, I'll gladly buy one.

I know the deal with dislocations...soft tissue gets more damaged each time, lots of PT and time off the bike required, etc. I know surgery is the only "real" fix, but it seems kind of pointless if I'm still riding/crashing hard. Surgery would also take me out of work (trailbuilder) for a long time and I can't really afford that right now.
How old are you? I was only out of XC riding for ~2.5 months when I had mine done, and was DH-ing in 4, and I was pretty conservative. Also, if you're crashing hard and popping out shoulders in your sleep, its time to get surgery. You know that. These band-aids are just gonna make it worse in the long run. The surgery isn't THAT bad. I was in a sling for a month, but was more or less function in my daily life after the first week.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
That's not quite true. A good doc can tell based on your symptoms and just feeling your shoulder through it's ROM to determine what kind of surgery is going to be needed. MRI's for shoulders could be a waste of money if you already are repeatedly dislocating it. Save your pennies and get it fixed up instead.
Not going to turn this into a pissing contest, but you might want to check on that info. I know first hand how the sequence of events is, from primary care physician to physiatrist to PT to orthopedic surgeon. Repeated dislocations means surgery and no licensed surgeon is going to cut without a lot more than just some manual muscle tests and ROM checks.

It's true that the braces are not to be relied upon sans medical attention. However, for additional support and at the very least increased kinesthetic reminder to keep the muscles of that joint taught during riding, they'll work well. I just use them to ride because I'm still waiting on surgery :). Good to hear that it doesn't take too long to get back after the OR, gemini2k.

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
The 661 one I found to be slightly lack luster I am really interested in the EVS options now.

I have dislocated my right shoulder twice once in April 2010 (chipped humerus torn rotator cuff and multiple other small tears to accompany) I wasn't supposed to ride again until christmas that year sat out for about 2 months at which point i could no longer be off work. Rode all last winter not issue bailed a couple of weeks ago and boom shoulder came out again this time there was no time for a recovery at all I jumped right back into things. Call me an idiot but sometimes real life makes your choices. The reality is I need surgery the hole in my rotator cuff never healed the first time and the second didn't help at all.

Though I did find something from MTB strength training systems that I liked. "building bulletproof shoulders" I liked that especially because James does something that no physio will ever do and that is address that things things re-occur if a physio started working on that premise they would be out of work really fast.