Quantcast

Shoulder Doctors?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
My rotator cuff is torn. I have to have surgery. :mad:

Anybody had a cuff fixed, and if so would you recomend your doctor?

Any where from Seattle to Portland would be fine.

Thanks

Armondo/Rob

ummbikes said:
My rotator cuff is torn. I have to have surgery. :mad:

Anybody had a cuff fixed, and if so would you recomend your doctor?

Any where from Seattle to Portland would be fine.

Thanks

Armondo/Rob
Been there, done that. First off i have say shoulder surgery is the longest and most painfull recovery I've ever endoured!!! But then again my work was pretty extensive, if you only have to get scoped, it shouldn't be too bad.

My doctor was good and I would rcomend him. His name is Dr. Popich, he works out of sports medicine and rehab place in Tacoma, very near Allenmore Hospital. I can get you more info if you need it.

Good luck!!!

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
PsychO!1 said:
Been there, done that. First off i have say shoulder surgery is the longest and most painfull recovery I've ever endoured!!!

Good luck!!!
So are we talking six months of hell? A year?

I am already eating Hydrocodone like candy and I have to sleep in my recliner with a damn ice bag strapped to my shoulder. Even then if I so much as move it's daggers and razor blades and me feeling like puking.

This hurts way more than when I blew my knee up.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
ummbikes said:

I am already eating Hydrocodone like candy and I have to sleep in my recliner with a damn ice bag strapped to my shoulder. Even then if I so much as move it's daggers and razor blades and me feeling like puking.

I would say a year :(

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
The guy that fixed my broken elbow is really good. He's at the Sports Medicine Clinic in Ballard. Paul Engman. I'm a fan.

He also did a friend's collarbone.....that he broke on his very first run on A-line EVER. (posts here as LOS). I believe he was happy with him too.

My dad had to have his rotator cuff re-attached. He was 6 weeks in "the device" after surgery. Then rehab.... but this is a 60-year-old man we're talking about...

ummbikes said:

For me it was COMPLETE imobilization for 4 weeks (strapped to my body), then 4 weeks just hanging to my side (still strapped at the shoulder), then eight weeks of PT. Sooo, it 16 weeks of rehab before i could even think about doing something like riding. I'd say it was an easy 6 months before I had any real confidence in it.

Your milage may vary. :-)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ouch. Bad news. :(

On the plus side you get to share good bikey karma points. I ended up giving your old Balance frame and whatever those tires were to a kid at Greenerville College. I built it up with my old XC parts and added a Surley rigid fork and some cool flashing reflectors since he commutes to work at 5AM. He is already hitting the trails around the college and loves his new wheels.

Anyhow the whole experience was really cool since this kid really needed a bike and has about zero resources. So now I feel like Robin Hood, I gave a bike away but still enjoy cheating on my taxes...

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Arrrrrr.

Well I was ripping up some sweet single track, when a bear jumped and grabbed my arm. I killed him with my Park chain tool but in the process he tore my cuff...

Or about three years ago I endoed onto my shoulder, weakening it, then about a month ago I was standing on my bumper of my Exploder washing the mud off the roof and slipped, grabbed the roof rack and partially tore my cuff and then this week dropped a lap top at work and caught it mid-air and tore it all the way.

I can't quite remeber which, the Hyrdocodone does nothing for pain, but will get ya feeling hella loopy. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This is why the wonder truck has never been washed and never will be washed - too ****ing dangerous!!! :monkey:

ummbikes said:
Arrrrrr.

Well I was ripping up some sweet single track, when a bear jumped and grabbed my arm. I killed him with my Park chain tool but in the process he tore my cuff...

Or about three years ago I endoed onto my shoulder, weakening it, then about a month ago I was standing on my bumper of my Exploder washing the mud off the roof and slipped, grabbed the roof rack and partially tore my cuff and then this week dropped a lap top at work and caught it mid-air and tore it all the way.

I can't quite remeber which, the Hyrdocodone does nothing for pain, but will get ya feeling hella loopy. :)

rockkyle11

Chimp
Aug 3, 2022
blackburn
They are responsible for 2 main functions: 1) Keeping the shoulder in joint 2) Move the ball around in the socket.

There are 3 main tendons called the

Supraspinatus – responsible for reaching upwards

Infraspinatus – responsible for turning the arm out towards the side

Subscapularis – responsible for reaching up behind your back