Quantcast

Shoulder pain while bike testing?

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
I’m looking at 2 bikes right now, the Cannondale R700 and the Trek 1500. I tired a size 52 for both, but for some reason the R700 hurt my shoulders during the test ride. So the dealer installed a shorter stem and moved the seat. But, that didn’t work, so he raised the hoods a bit and angled the seat back (to make sure I wasn’t dipping forward), and that relieved what I was feeling in my shoulders but, the pain migrated it into my upper back. What could be the problem?

I like the R700 more, but if I can’t fit properly into it, I’m going to get the Trek. And ideas what could be wrong and / or what can be adjusted?

Jon.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
While measurements from one manufacturer to the next can't always be compared, the claimed ETT is only different by .4mm and the Cannondale has a 73* HA compared to 71.5* for the Trek.

If the Trek is comfortable, why not take measurements* off it and compare them to the Cannondale.

*Handlebar from the ground, tip of saddle to bars, drop from saddle to bars. Make sure your seat is at the same extension on both(center BB to top of saddle).

Aug 31, 2006
...hurt my shoulders during the test ride. So the dealer... moved the seat.
You're not spending a lot of money, so it's not unreasonable for the dealer to not spend a lot of time with you.; however, I do know dealers that will do it right, no matter how little you spend.

That convoluted disclaimer said... you don't move the saddle to adjust for shoulder pain. Either he's ignorant (bad for you) or he doesn't want to invest the time (sort of understandable).

The saddle adjustment is for your legs* and what's directly connected to your legs only, ideally.

* including ankles, knees, and butt.

What's your height and inseam?

Inseam is measure with your butt and heels against the wall, standing straight, put a thin book between your legs, push it against the wall, push it up against your pelvis and measure from floor to top of book.

Your height and inseam is only the beginning, but it might be obvious to us that you're not a standard body type. I'm 5'10" with log legs (34.5" inseam), so I went with a custom built bike.

If you don't want to go custom, then sure, move the saddle, make all sorts of adjustments, maybe even a stem riser. Then in a year or two, if you love the sport, go custom.

As for what's causing the pain... have you ever had a shoulder injury? Are the two bike setup the same? See Wumpus' post.

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
My inseam is 29.5, which makes me an in-between for a 50 and a 52, although I’m closer to the 52. I rode a Trek 1500 on the Saturday and I felt no shoulder pain, yet I was in another Trek store on Sunday and I was on a different 1500 and I felt my shoulders again. WTF? Why do I feel it on one 1500 and not on another?

Jon.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
How far are you riding? Are you in the drops all the time? It takes a while to get accustomed to the different riding position.

I scrunch my shoulders sometimes when I'm riding especially in traffic. I have to consciously relax my shoulders.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Don't forget bar width. Have somebody measure your shoulders with a measuring tape (ala tailor) from outside/back edge of your shoulder joint to the oposite side. This will give you an idea of what size/width bar you need.
Beyond that, road bikes, when properly fitted are godly. Pay the premium for a fitting, you will thank yourself later.