Quantcast

Show everybody your "Pennytech" achivements

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Let see how Many monkeys evolve from using rocks to open coconuts...

please show everybody your handcrafted projects, impromentents, whatever you want to call this simple gadgets that came to you head one night when you were at the shower and end up being made with whatever you can find around your home

Do it......

Yes I saw that Movie too..

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't have any pictures, but after a long night of doing things people shouldn't do, I created the ultimate RC car.

I had a Porsche and a Firebird that sucked because they were on the same frq. So I cut the rear of the Firebird and Shoe Gooed it to the rear of the Porsche, wired the motors in series and created a 6 wheeled battery eating machine.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
jimmydean said:
I don't have any pictures, but after a long night of doing things people shouldn't do, I created the ultimate RC car.

I had a Porsche and a Firebird that sucked because they were on the same frq. So I cut the rear of the Firebird and Shoe Gooed it to the rear of the Porsche, wired the motors in series and created a 6 wheeled battery eating machine.
BurnOut, BurNoUT.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

that sound like fun,on a similar subject a long time ago in my old country I use to have "A little to crazy for his own good" friend that end up making a "Push-me pull-me" car inspire on the two headed llama of original doctor dolittle, basically the reverse stop working on his original car, so he decide to weld up two of the axact same cars (Renault 4's) and used each of the other motors for the reverse (one of the engine will run on neutral or shut down until they need to go the other way and viseversa) needless to say the thing was ultra scarry and super dangerous (kind of street legal, at least with a Plate to be driven on the streets {sur american rules are more guidelines than rigid rules, specially if you have some money to grease the monkeys}) since the two drivers will have diferent ideas of were they want to go and or even when to turn...
( the four wheel steer with two diferent and not connected steering columns and two drivers one for each pair of wheel and engine)

find fotos of you RC car if you can, sound like a cool project and for sure a battery eater from hell

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
nothing spectacular, but i'm working on an h-pattern shifter for my PC, i'm really into race sims, but cant afford the 100 pounds to buy one.
this is what i have so far, just have to cut the slots for each gear, there is a program floating about the net that allows you to use a joystick as a shifter. so it should work.

the stick is an old socket extention with an old BB tool as the knob.
the h-pattern plate is just an old metal tin.

http://forum.rscnet.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=348825&d=1139585735

not finished yet, as i said still have to cut the gear slots, 7speed+1 reverse. just so its fully usable with all cars in the games i use, i'll sort it so i can blank out the slots i'm not using, but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
steve45 said:
nothing spectacular, but i'm working on an h-pattern shifter for my PC, i'm really into race sims, but cant afford the 100 pounds to buy one.
this is what i have so far, just have to cut the slots for each gear, there is a program floating about the net that allows you to use a joystick as a shifter. so it should work.

the stick is an old socket extention with an old BB tool as the knob.
the h-pattern plate is just an old metal tin.

Great job steve, following a passion is the best way to learn sinc you know exactlly what you need and also want to make it the best you can
not finished yet, as i said still have to cut the gear slots, 7speed+1 reverse. just so its fully usable with all cars in the games i use, i'll sort it so i can blank out the slots i'm not using, but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.
I give you to tips to cut the slots on the cheap...
* a great way to make sure the ends of the slots and really round and nice is to use a drill bit (and a drill) and make a the hole with it and then cut the rest with a hack saw or some instrument that can do the straight part really well

heres come the second part, everytime you drill or cut the materail is going to tend to get deform, for this is a few wayto avoid it.
*Flip the piece upside down for the drilling so you have a hard support surface so the material does not deform or break, maybe you will need better lighting to see the holes or maybe make very small pilot holes from the top side.
* the pattern will be backwards (from left to right or viseversa since you flip the piece the same thing as with a mirror so take that into account.
*sound like the top of that cap is going to get trash a lot, since you get "Emotional" and will tend to shift "With out the clutch" so maybe you can use a nice piece of plastic or even strong wood to reinforce the bottom side of the cover so it does not get worn out and deform as fast

again congratulations on a job well done..

I also love to see the tools of the trade (The red allen pocket tool) at the scene of the crime

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Geoff G. said:
I made a bridge out of popsicle sticks and wood glue that held 465 pounds, does that count?
oh yeap.

specially since I'm a total triangle gruppy...

good job, i made some of those my self when i was taking structures classes as school..

trail and error is a one of the best way to learn ever...

thanks for sharing your acomplisments Geoff

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
hahaha, cheers for the tips, especially for the rounding the gear slots, will try that tonight.
durability has been a concern of mine, it will see a fair bit of abuse, shifting in a heated two car battle can be, lets say forceful.
i'll see how it holds up on my first test, then bodge accordingly, i was already considering getting a peice of plastic or something like that to place in the small recess in the bottom(now top of the tin) for a bit of support, it is fairly thick metal, but no doubt not thick enough.
also have to find a solid way to attach the tin to the joystick base, i'll probably just bolt it down with metal brackets, but i'll work it out when the time comes.

hehehe, "tools of the trade", the pocket tool was used for its cross head screwdriver, i seem to have, *ehem* "misplaced" all my normal ones, i used the little persicion screwdriver set for dismantling/rebuilding the joystick.
rest of the tools are on the workbench

J

JRB

I don't have any pics of them, but when pulling a truck I had out of the mud by the brush guard, I pulled the chrome bumper down. It pissed me off, so I got me $75 worth of steel and went to work. I ended up with a full front end replacement with a 16" porch, with an 8,500 lb Ramsey winch on it. I may have some pics to find and scan in. I also built several hoof stands and anvil stands on the cheap when I was shoeing. My favorite was a rack that mounted my torch bottles at a 45 degree angle that slid in and was pinned to the gooseneck ball in the truck. It had a slot and a flat bar that was pad locked. I had locks on the bottle mounts as well. All gas welded together. It was sweet, but I don't have it anymore, and don't think I ever took pics. I haven't done much bike related, as I can't really afford to replace stuff that I screw up working on. I do minor alterations, but nothing largely fabricated. I did get some 1/8" plexi last night to try and do a better job on a guard on the Reign. If that works out, I will post pics.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
steve45 said:
hahaha, cheers for the tips, especially for the rounding the gear slots, will try that tonight.
My foto site is not working at the moment, but I show you some work i done that way in the pass, needless tosay is a very sound hackying method
durability has been a concern of mine, it will see a fair bit of abuse, shifting in a heated two car battle can be, lets say forceful.
I'm not a gamer but i see how your guys ad gals get when you get exited..

just for fun, how about if you electirfied the outside shell so everytime you touch it you get a "SpArK#&%*, that will make you a smotter shifter for sure
i'll see how it holds up on my first test, then bodge accordingly, i was already considering getting a peice of plastic or something like that to place in the small recess in the bottom(now top of the tin) for a bit of support, it is fairly thick metal, but no doubt not thick enough.
Plywood works great, or maybe you can "Steal" a piece of the cutting board at your kitchen and use the nylon for support then maybe the problem will be one part becomes to strong and the rest kind of weak...

Oh man I just got a really great idea, get some epoxi resin and use any shape you want (if is conical will demold with out problem as long as is wax so the resin does not stick, or if is donor shape is plastic you can release the piece by cutting it, this way you can ened up with a almost translucent shape and put LED inside or something or one step farder get some carbon fibre and make your own custom cover adding reinforrment to the resin,, we can go on and on about this but is a lot of info on the net about how to use resin and diferent fibres...

another pennytech method is to use warn (you know cord, tread,,etc) and spin it around and around holding it with carpenters glue or something and then taking the donor mold when you are done..

put it this way many years ago (80') I use to make my landluge bubble fairings by ussing inflatable party ballons (I modified them sometimes making "COrsets" to change the shape) and then spin many layers of cotton cord around them until they became really strong, rigid and sturdy, when the glue was dry just pop the ballon and you have pretty much any shape you want. hey if the hold at a 100KpH the will hold for a joystick cover.

oh man don't get me going on this becasue i can not stop..
also have to find a solid way to attach the tin to the joystick base, i'll probably just bolt it down with metal brackets, but i'll work it out when the time comes.
how about something very Bling Bling mimicating the way school car rims were held with a million allen bolts every few deggres, just get your set a tap set from sears (about $30 and they work great for other bike related stuff as longest you get metric) and drill and tap the base 12 or so times (I can teach you a technic really easy to divide multiples and submultiples of the #6
hehehe, "tools of the trade", the pocket tool was used for its cross head screwdriver, i seem to have, *ehem* "misplaced" all my normal ones, i used the little persicion screwdriver set for dismantling/rebuilding the joystick.
rest of the tools are on the workbench
well sometimes is time to play McGiver but over the year i learn is better to use the proper tools for each job since the equipment last fast longer that way..

Way back when I lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts, I put a piece of wood across my drop bars and mounted a model airplane engine with 10" propellor on each end. I rigged up a two pound coffee can in the center as a fuel tank.

Starting in the parking lot at work on Albany Street, I had my buddy Fred Sevier fire up the engines. He managed to get his necktie tangled up in one of the props, but finally got them both going.

I drove from Albany Street to my apartment on Broadway - it's the only time I ever pulled into Central Square in Cambridge on a bicycle and had all the traffic just stop dead.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
johnbryanpeters said:
Way back when I lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts, I put a piece of wood across my drop bars and mounted a model airplane engine with 10" propellor on each end. I rigged up a two pound coffee can in the center as a fuel tank.

Starting in the parking lot at work on Albany Street, I had my buddy Fred Sevier fire up the engines. He managed to get his necktie tangled up in one of the props, but finally got them both going.

I drove from Albany Street to my apartment on Broadway - it's the only time I ever pulled into Central Square in Cambridge on a bicycle and had all the traffic just stop dead.
John you are for sure my kind of people..

sound like a fun experiment and also a lot of skills since those little motors are so freakig dificult to syncronize

also Cudos for you to manage to drive it around with out going crazy from all the nicrometane fumes..

is strange but somehow i miss that smell, I quess I'm kind of wierd like it or not..

Great job.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
loco said:
I don't have any pics of them, but when pulling a truck I had out of the mud by the brush guard, I pulled the chrome bumper down. It pissed me off, so I got me $75 worth of steel and went to work. I ended up with a full front end replacement with a 16" porch, with an 8,500 lb Ramsey winch on it. I may have some pics to find and scan in. I also built several hoof stands and anvil stands on the cheap when I was shoeing. My favorite was a rack that mounted my torch bottles at a 45 degree angle that slid in and was pinned to the gooseneck ball in the truck. It had a slot and a flat bar that was pad locked. I had locks on the bottle mounts as well. All gas welded together. It was sweet, but I don't have it anymore, and don't think I ever took pics. I haven't done much bike related, as I can't really afford to replace stuff that I screw up working on. I do minor alterations, but nothing largely fabricated. I did get some 1/8" plexi last night to try and do a better job on a guard on the Reign. If that works out, I will post pics.

loco You are bien LoCo en la cabeza but also Mucho smart...

I think the best sourse of technological improvements is from the evolution the field (Field like in a focus task as oppose to a cowpath) workers provide since they are dealing with the subject all the time and keep honing and improving and for sure testing and breaking the parts that don't really work.

when I was at industrial design school, most of my piers (whatever people i study with ) never even hammer a nail, after a some time was very evident they will not go to far or maybe become kind of a "Fashion-this fashion-that" designer but never trully makers of change like you are somppose to be, i'm a hands on kind of guy, whatever project i took i when and did it to really learn what the subject (target audience) was dealing with..

if you find the pictures will be great if not at least start to take them from now on into the future since you have so much to bring to the community

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
I don't do much browsing around RM and was totally oblivious to your crazy inventing powers until 10min ago. The Stars aligned when I posted the latest Mod to my Superlight (here) and toshi mentioned your threads.

So anyway, hello. I am an engineer and occasionally an inventor as well. You're stuff is very impressive. My much lolier achievements can be seen in the link above:)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When I misplaced my remote, I used my dishing tool to adjust the volume. I also used it to turn off the light switch which is just out of reach.

Does that count?