Quantcast

Show me your pads!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
After endoing for the second time this week, I think it's time to protect the old legs. What kind of pads does everyone use? I don't want something that's too hot or that's going to flap around while I ride!

note: I do mostly single track-- no extreme DH or BMX.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
splat said:
did you do another endo ? I hope you didn't land on the same boob. Other wsie you'll be getting lopesided
Nah...this time I thought I'd be cool and land on my leg and knee. I thought I'd switch it up a little bit. This time I hurled over the front tire on a steep downhill and got a face full of mud. I did master the "ditch and run!" however.

I should also mention that Rob endoed about 10 minutes after me and we both hobbled back to the car.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
splat said:
did you do another endo ? I hope you didn't land on the same boob. Other wsie you'll be getting lopesided
We were zipping down one of the Darkhorse trails, and I bottomed out my fork on a drop, and went right over the damn handlebars. Now I've got a deep tissue bruise on my thigh the size of canada which is REALLY restricting my movement.

Nice gravelly, rocky, miserable place to land too.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave

ok that was a pretty dumb joke... i'm alloted 5 a day on this board. Fox NorthShore, i love em.

Note the Dainese elbow pads, i've had those for like 5 years, rarely use them anymore but i took em to a shoe shop and had some grommets put into the velcro giving them more life. :dancing:

J

JRB

I was gonna just post tampax, but Skooks did beat me. Oh well. I have never had bike pads on. I skated in Rector, and then ProDesign.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
For xc and trail riding i wear nothing. for dh i wear fox standard 8 dollar pads w/ 661 padlocks and thats it.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
On single track you'll be doing more (typically) pedalling that DH - which means the leg armor can move around. I just picked up this pair today, 'cause I got sick of my pads not fitting me quite right....and moving around

Roach Indy for the arms and Fox Launch for the legs. The leg armor is a little more stiff than I normally like, but doesn't seem like it will move around, which is why I got 'em.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think you should look at the Roach/Raceface Freeride pads and the Troy Lee Combats. I have friends who like the Fox pads with the wierd X-straps, too.

I like to wear knee/shins even on pure XC rides, unless it's just logging miles on fireroad...and even then, sometimes I do.

MD

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Wow you blood isnt as a deep red as others are. You must have that disease, I forget what it is called.......

Just kidding. Haha. Ouch.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
bluebug32 said:
any opinion on lizard skins?

Even though they don't look as bulky or intimidating as the Roach, if they're the full-wrap neoprene/lycra style that I think they are, they're going to be much, much hotter. Roach and Troy Lee pads are made of a very vented foam, which lets air circulate under the plastic. It's really nice and cool compared to having lycra and neoprene wrapped around your leg, holding in the sweat and steam. And once the pads break in, they're not cumbersome as you pedal.

I had some lightweight 'skinz' (not lizard skins) pads when I first started, in the exact same boat as you, and they sucked. Light lycra tubes with a neoprene pad on the front for the knees/shins and elbows.

MD

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
The Roach/Race Face -they are the same company- Freeride and Downhill pads come in M, L, and XL. They are very LONG, as shinguards go. I'm 5'5", and keeping in mind that women usually have longer legs than men of the same height, the M Freeride and DH pads are too long for me (hit the top of my shoes). I am always surprised when I small person (under 5'8" wearing them).

If you can afford Dainese, they fit the best and are comfortable.

To keep ANY kneepad in place, I recommend the 661 padlock. I got a S/M, thinking there was no way I wore a L/XL (I'm 135#)... but the L/XL are much more comfortable. The keep straps from bunching up behind the knees as well.

Hope this helps.
-sunny

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
When I wear my pads XCing I have 661 4x4 (leg) and 2x4 (arm) just like these:

They're not too hot and once you break them in, they fit quite well and don't seem to move around. They're on sale just about everywhere now as well (pricepoint.com and nashbar.com and I am sure other places too).

I have beefier ones for DHing that are also 661s, but I can't remember what they're called and they're rather warm to wear!

I also used to wear (and still have somewhere) a pair of Fox 911's (the older design with the lycra stocking and hard plastic front) that weren't too bad, but I ripped them out in my first year DHing.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Fox NorthShore, i love em.

[/QUOTE]

i have them and i sorta like them but there not as protective as i expected so they seem like to much bulk for to little protection.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
wear the older fox launch pads. they fit really well if you can find them. no slipage and i have put them through hell and back. and there still working great after a full year of riding in the rain, snow, sleet, and sun. so i deffinatly recomend them they

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I wear the 661 4x4 for dh and fr. For xc, I wear nothing (pedals hurt sometimes). I don't wear elbow gaurds but should especially on tunnel. I am getting an '05 flak jacket which has removaabkle elbows. if I dont want chest armor.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
dude dont get full armor. its not worth it. i rode sugar with nothing but leg armor on and i was fine. you just cant crash lol. but if i was gonna get some elbow pads i think it would be the 661 race lites or the fox launch. good luck man :thumb:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
dexterq20 said:

I have those pads big brother, the DH version. They have saved me sooooooooo many times!! They actually kept me out of the hospital/surgery this past weekend. I still got a bone bruise and knee sprain to let you know how hard I hit. I LOVE those pads, and would not trade them for anything. They have soooo many battle scars on them that would have been on my legs.

But thats for FR and DH. You said you want somthing for singletrack? Check out the 661 4x4. I have a set of them and wear them whenever I am riding somthing with flats, but not anything bigtime. They are very unrestrictive, but still protect. check em out.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I really like the 661 Race Knee Guards. I have tried alot of different kinds, but it is really all preference. These tend to stay cool for me. Others may have a different opinion...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
These are what you get when your parents get you guards for your b-day: Fox BMX. Actually, I really like them. They never slip down, and I've never had a problem with my knees, just cutting my shin down to the bone. As I get more into DH I might want something more substantial, but I think they would be great for all-mountain riding.

Attachments

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BigMike said:
But thats for FR and DH. You said you want somthing for singletrack? Check out the 661 4x4. I have a set of them and wear them whenever I am riding somthing with flats, but not anything bigtime. They are very unrestrictive, but still protect. check em out.

I gotta disagree...the Roach/RF FR pads with the perforated foam and plastic are much more flexible, vented, and protective than the cordura-sleeve style.

Mine (old style roach) were hot as hell, swampy inside, and gave almost no protection in a crash...they'd slide down, packing with dirt, abrading my leg on the inside of the pads by burning them against the sticky cordura while exposing my knees to the ground. Worse than wearing nothing at all.

MD

A lot of this