Quantcast

Show Your Monkey Sticker

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
loco said:
Any clutch will wear, pedal or not. It is a friction point. I am not saying I am right about it wearing faster, but it seems like the clutch will give before tires or the flywheel will when you have too much torque for your speed. That's the point I am trying to make.
Not the sharpest tool in the shed are ya?:rolleyes:

J

JRB

Westy said:
Not the sharpest tool in the shed are ya?:rolleyes:
When you lug a motor like that, I believe the clutch will wear, causing it to slip. I've seen clutches trashed on big trucks and it's from bogging the transmission down.

J

JRB

This person agrees -

A clutch that engages too low in the RPM will cause the engine to “bog”. This bogging is similar to trying to start in too high of a gear, for example, on a multi-gear, manual transmission like in a motorcycle or car.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
BurlyShirley said:
You drive a lesbian car, and you're going to knock my manly '93 Jeep with 180K, USEFUL 4 wheel drive and a half/krylon paintjob that I bought for $1k 2 years ago and has never broken down?

Nice..you lesbian.
All y'all questioning my mileage - I'm just quoting what Subie says on the window. Then again, I guess that's off-base, and the H3 claims it gets 20mpg highway, and that's been proven to be way too generous.

And Girly Shirly, 1) My Subie 4wd is PLENTY useful for me here in NYC, and 2) You forgot "Not that there's anything wrong with that". Besides, I dig lesbians - we have lots of common interests.:love:

OK, me and the dykemobile are out of here. Leaving early to take advantage of the nice weather. See all you manly men on Monday. Have a good weekend. :)

J

JRB

Mackie said:
<snip>OK, me and the dykemobile are out of here. Leaving early to take advantage of the nice weather. See all you manly men on Monday. Have a good weekend. :)

Check back in over the weekend. I am sure MMike will have those 15,000 hits and expect the hookup.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Mackie said:
All y'all questioning my mileage - I'm just quoting what Subie says on the window. Then again, I guess that's off-base, and the H3 claims it gets 20mpg highway, and that's been proven to be way too generous.

And Girly Shirly, 1) My Subie 4wd is PLENTY useful for me here in NYC, and 2) You forgot "Not that there's anything wrong with that". Besides, I dig lesbians - we have lots of common interests.:love:

OK, me and the dykemobile are out of here. Leaving early to take advantage of the nice weather. See all you manly men on Monday. Have a good weekend. :)

I get 16/19

hate on the car all you want, I dig it

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
loco said:
When you lug a motor like that, I believe the clutch will wear, causing it to slip. I've seen clutches trashed on big trucks and it's from bogging the transmission down.
Exactly. If a clutch slips from engine torque it will destroy itself in a very short period of time, probably in minutes. Clutches are designed to carry more torque than the engine can put out to prevent this. A clutch will do this at the end of its lifespan but a properly operating system will not slip without clutch input.

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
loco said:
No! Once the clutch is engaged, assuming it is in proper working order, it is not going to slip. Tires are going to slip before a good, working clutch. The only time it may is if you have crazy ass power and insane grip. A wittle Forester has neither.

Bogging will either make the car shudder (because of the engine running outside of it's operating range), or it'll just kill the engine (as in turn off, not destroy).

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
MancilG said:
is that strange?
While I hate your vehicle, I'm not going to judge what you do within your family. I'm not looking down my nose by any means.

I forgot the the US parental leave stinks, (6 weeks vs our two years).... 5 months just seems really young for day care. We opted for my wife to be a stay at home mom. I can't imagine it any other way.

J

JRB

Samson said:
No! Once the clutch is engaged, assuming it is in proper working order, it is not going to slip. Tires are going to slip before a good, working clutch. The only time it may is if you have crazy ass power and insane grip. A wittle Forester has neither.
I'm with you and westy now. I guess when you have 40,000 lbs on the drivers, the tires won't slip, so the clutch will. Is that right???

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
loco said:
I'm with you and westy now. I guess when you have 40,000 lbs on the drivers, the tires won't slip, so the clutch will. Is that right???
If you're talking about a big truck with a diesel that makes eleven million ft-lbs of torque at 500 rpm, then yes. I can see that happening.
But in a normal car, no.

J

JRB

Samson said:
If you're talking about a big truck with a diesel that makes eleven million ft-lbs of torque at 500 rpm, then yes. I can see that happening.
But in a normal car, no.
I guess I drove 3/4 ton diesels for too long. I also pulled lots of heavy cattle trailers, so that would explain it. I only needed 1 clutch, because the springs busted on the flywheel, but never from slipping. Just thought that bogging was bad news.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
MMike said:
.......and apparently no-one else has a ridemonkey sticker.
I have one, but Im afraid to show a pic of it for fear of being taunted because I have pleather seats or, heaven forbid, a can of domestic beer laying in the yard or something...:rofl:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
BurlyShirley said:
I have one, but Im afraid to show a pic of it for fear of being taunted because I have pleather seats or, heaven forbid, a can of domestic beer laying in the yard or something...:rofl:
But what model is your XJ? Sport? 2 door? Command Trac? All of this will factor into the bollocking you will receive.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
MMike said:
But what model is your XJ? Sport? 2 door? Command Trac? All of this will factor into the bollocking you will receive.
2 door sport. No command trac. (which I like very much)

I also sawzalled out the catalytic converter and replaced it with a straight peice of pipe:rofl: and the roof and hood are flat black instead of glossy and I tore out the headliner, so my cieling is metal. In I also took out the back seat and trashed that and made a bike rack inside.
It actually is a sport UTILITY vehicle.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Curb Hucker said:
I'd kill to get the 16/19 mileage the H3 gets, I'm currently rolling 10/14 :dead:
EPA mileage stickers are meaningless and are being revised downward for 2008. Here are actual numbers from one site:

Test automatic-transmission H3s averaged 14.7-15.0 mpg. H3 uses regular-grade fuel

No opportunity yet to measure a V6. Ditto SRT8. Test AWD 4.7 V8 Laredo averaged 16.0 mpg in even mix of city/highway driving. Test 5.7 V8 AWD Limited averaged 17.9 in mainly highway driving, but just 12.0 mpg in mostly city work. Jeep recommends 87-octane fuel for V6 and 4.7 V8, 89 octane or higher for 5.7 V8, 91 for SRT8.

Test L.L. Bean averaged 24.2 mpg. Test manual-transmission XT averaged 23.2. Both tests involved mostly highway driving. Subaru requires premium-grade fuel for XT. Other models use regular-grade fuel.

Test SE averaged 12.8-14.1 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. Test HSE averaged 15.5 mpg in exclusively freeway travel. Land Rover recommends premium-grade fuel.

No opportunity to measure with V6. Test AWD V8 Sport averaged 17.3 mpg in mostly highway driving. Toyota recommends premium-grade fuel for both engines.