Quantcast

showa single crown

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
3,944
36
Roanoke, VA
John C from descentworld posted this singlecrown showa the other day





I wonder who they are working on these for?

Johnny T had a sweet showa xc fork back when he was riding for Tioga that never made production, a fork that absolutely slayed everything else available in '94. Tioga never pushed it into production as far as I know. The obvious conclusion to make here is that this current fork is for a Honda project, but I find that unlikely...
 

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
5,525
342
I dunno... I remember a showa fork that came stock on the Trek full suspension bikes back then... it was crap, much like all the other forks back then (except for the lawill/leader)

this looks far better.
 

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
863
0
East Coast
Has a very prototypish look to it, looks like they're still ironing out the internals before they start in with getting the lowers shaved and ready.
 

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
2,687
10
Superdeft said:
Has a very prototypish look to it, looks like they're still ironing out the internals before they start in with getting the lowers shaved and ready.
They could start with better geometry than that.......then they could dial the internals in better.

They thing has got '04 Marz 66 height.....
 

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
294
0
Boston, MA
dump said:
I dunno... I remember a showa fork that came stock on the Trek full suspension bikes back then... it was crap, much like all the other forks back then (except for the lawill/leader)

this looks far better.
yeah Trek sold a few diff models of them and they all sucked. My roomate had one and it was awful...and it was supposed to be the top of line " Black Diamond" model
 

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
3,944
36
Roanoke, VA
auntesther said:
yeah Trek sold a few diff models of them and they all sucked. My roomate had one and it was awful...and it was supposed to be the top of line " Black Diamond" model
Those forks were markedly different (and a whole product cycle earlier) than their later air-oil models though. The trek forks were certainly on-par with the rs1 though... The later Showa fork, with carbon stanchions, mg legs, ti hardware and sophisticated damping was lightyears stiffer, lighter and plusher than a mag 21 slTI...
 

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
6,640
4
SF, CA
yes, it's very much a prototype, and no the height of the crown isn't a problem, because it's built with relatively short lowers... take a look at the height of the seals vs the top of the bridge. May not have much overlap, but it won't be that tall.
 

toodles

Turbo Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
2,787
1,012
Australia
zedro said:
look at the distance between the tire and crown, not the height of the crown; it doesnt seem to be that tall at all.
Ditto. Look at the height of the lowers. They're much shorter than a conventional single crown. Then look at the clamping area for the crown/stanchion interface. I reckon it'd be a stiff mutha.
 

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
1,009
0
SLC,Ut
Wow that's cool!
The coating on the uppers,the dropouts and the disk mounts,Soo cool.

Wassup with the reverse arch?? They must be going for mass centralization --like the dual exhaust CRF 250 !!:blah:

Maybe now that people are paying $1-2000 on bicycle forks there is a market for them to dominate-Which they could-would.