Quantcast

shreader sucks!!!11oneone

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
its an inferior design from presta because you can not get adequate air pressure into the tube efficiently and i have to use to much force on the pump and it gives me arm pump. plus the hole is to big in the tube and it makes a weak spot that when combined with the centrifugal force of the wheel spinning can cause the tube to explode at the valve stem. this happened to me at a race once and it made me lose and i wasnt able to move up to pro and i lost a full factory sponsorship because of a faulty valve stem.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
but back on topic. shreader is obviously an inferior design. presta valves you can micro adjust without tools. on a shreader you cant do that. and a rim drilled just for presta is also stronger because it has a smaller valve hole. so as you can see. we desperatly need a new standard. i propose the ist(international standard for tubes) should be presta valve. and no silly dh tubes either. hell you dont evern need a tire if you run intense dh tubes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
:rolleyes: Yeah, we've all seen how many rims fail because they are drilled for shrader

I'm a big supporter of schrader valves. Why? Because they're usually $1 cheaper. Over the years I'm sure I've saved hundreds of dollars, and I can use that money for some nice parts on my bike. Presta valves are a holdover from road bikes where it's just hard to cram 130psi into a shrader. We ride mountain bikes and just don't use that much pressure. I can easily get my pump (mountain morph) on schrader valves. I have seen some "smart valve" pumps that were absolutely terrible at working with schrader valves, in fact I send a box of them back last week and I'm getting them replaced with the old "reversible" ones that are foolproof. I frequently fill both kinds and I can't honestly say that one is easier or harder than the other, they both have their quirks. I find that you have to remember to push on the presta valve sometimes because you have the tube pinched between the tire and the rim a little, and that can explode when you start putting pressure in it. Sometimes you put in a presta valve and then screw down the nut in preperation to fill it, but you haven't made sure to "clear" the tube from the tire bead.

I drill all my rims for schrader tubes and that's what I carry around for a spare. I'd rather be able to use a tube from ANYBODY than take a chance that someone has a presta valve tube for me. I obviously carry my own tubes, but I've been on rides where I handed them out like candy to people who didn't think ahead.

I can micro adjust a schrader just fine, then again I was born with fingernails.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
Jm_ said:
:rolleyes: Yeah, we've all seen how many rims fail because they are drilled for shrader

I'm a big supporter of schrader valves. Why? Because they're usually $1 cheaper. Over the years I'm sure I've saved hundreds of dollars, and I can use that money for some nice parts on my bike. Presta valves are a holdover from road bikes where it's just hard to cram 130psi into a shrader. We ride mountain bikes and just don't use that much pressure. I can easily get my pump (mountain morph) on schrader valves. I have seen some "smart valve" pumps that were absolutely terrible at working with schrader valves, in fact I send a box of them back last week and I'm getting them replaced with the old "reversible" ones that are foolproof. I frequently fill both kinds and I can't honestly say that one is easier or harder than the other, they both have their quirks. I find that you have to remember to push on the presta valve sometimes because you have the tube pinched between the tire and the rim a little, and that can explode when you start putting pressure in it. Sometimes you put in a presta valve and then screw down the nut in preperation to fill it, but you haven't made sure to "clear" the tube from the tire bead.

I drill all my rims for schrader tubes and that's what I carry around for a spare. I'd rather be able to use a tube from ANYBODY than take a chance that someone has a presta valve tube for me. I obviously carry my own tubes, but I've been on rides where I handed them out like candy to people who didn't think ahead.

I can micro adjust a schrader just fine, then again I was born with fingernails.
you obviously dont know the inner workings and the mechanics of the presta valve or the shreader valve or you wouldnt have those problems.and yes the bigger hole for shreader does make a rim weaker and flexier. its been proven that a rim drilled for shreader has added flex and adds to your race time. now you multiply that by 2 wheels. its an outrageous amount of time to lose on a race run.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
BMXman said:
two words "tube less".....tada...thank you ladies and gentlemen and goodnight!....D
that stans stuff can throw off the balance of the wheel unless you just happen to get it just perfect all around the whole wheel. but theres no way to do that so no. im not doing tubeless because i dont want to risk having unbalanced wheels in a corner. its just too dangerous

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
My biggest gripe with presta is that it can be hard to close off the valve without losing air. And as my hero RC Cunningham says, 38 psi is optimal, any more and the ride can be jarring, any less and I can feel my sidewalls flex. Schrader valves simply provide a more accurate air installation. Plus, if they're used on cars, they must be better.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
WheelieMan said:
My biggest gripe with presta is that it can be hard to close off the valve without losing air. And as my hero RC Cunningham says, 38 psi is optimal, any more and the ride can be jarring, any less and I can feel my sidewalls flex. Schrader valves simply provide a more accurate air installation. Plus, if they're used on cars, they must be better.
tool.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Ive never needed a "tool" to adjust pressure in my shrader valve's. Hell anything from certain clothing apparel to the local stick/rock on the trail works fine.

Considering your higher then average intelligence i assume you know this. As far as a flexier rim you could have a point... i dont know/care. Just for kicks could you post up these facts or the specific tests and the testing messures these people used to gain this evidence(i assume your not going and personel intellect or hearsay?).

Again, i really dont care abou this topic...but i like to get my facts straight. Shrader are cheaper and easier to get and i know for a fact changing to a presta rim and tube is not going to give me an edge to win a race i would normally loose(i am probably just not skilled enough).

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
lovebunny said:
i would like to show my methods for capturing this data, but it would be beyond your feeble brains. if one of you thinks you can comprehend my studies then feel free to pm me and i will enlighten you to my ideas

You're a retard. Case closed.

:oink:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I prefer schrader over presta anyday. Those are the only tubes to run. Schrader is the automotive standard and it wouldn't be if it didn't have it's advantages. If you need to adjust the pressure you just take the cap off and turn it upside down and press down on the valve. If you have to remove the valve then you use the little valve remover tool. They are so stupid simple it's great. Finally something that every idiot in the bike world understands.

Plus with Schrader you can remove the core and add sealant or slime or whatever else you want to put in there. I'm sure schrader looses a little more air when sitting then presta but who cares.

Schrader valves are the standard and will always be. End of point.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
lovebunny said:
its been proven that a rim drilled for shreader has added flex and adds to your race time. now you multiply that by 2 wheels. its an outrageous amount of time to lose on a race run.
has anyone noticed this statement ????

you can t be serious.......

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
thaflyinfatman said:
Have you noticed that this whole thread (bar Jm_'s post) was actually a joke?
aaaaahhhhhhh.. actually i hadn t :)... just got back from 10 days in morzine / les gets... i feel pretty numb right now...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I e-speculate that this whole thread is e-wrong. :p

In all seriousness, if you're going through the trouble of trying to figure all this stuff out, here's an upgrade that will give you peace of mind:

-Deemax wheels with Michelin tires. They use presta valves and you don't have to use an sealant.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Good job TJ. Best thread in weeks.

I use balloons instead of tubes because more color choices. It is kinda hard to tie the knot without losing much air though.

Presta's are for spandex roadie people, I ride the dirt :dancing:

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
I use them both, and I really need to get my drill out because I have a box of shraders and 2 sets of rims I can't use them on.

As for the thread being a joke, it is most certainly not!!111!!one!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
lovebunny said:
that stans stuff can throw off the balance of the wheel unless you just happen to get it just perfect all around the whole wheel. but theres no way to do that so no. im not doing tubeless because i dont want to risk having unbalanced wheels in a corner. its just too dangerous
not Stan's ball licker..but UST tubeless...geez what a noob!...D

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
haha. you guys got me. i really dont care wich ones better or has advantages over the other. and im sorry all you racer types who pmed me. i really dont know the valve hole size to flex ratios of your rims and i dont know if stans makes you corner worse or not. good points guys! :thumb: