Quantcast

shreader sucks!!!11oneone

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Jabuttri said:
LoveBunny with all of your talk about forces I think you might want to take a physics class before you open your mouth. You are making your self look like a fool.
I would think the person who is missing the whole point of this thread is the real fool....D

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
lovebunny said:
so i switched to dual ply. and i must say that the stiffness of the SHREADER valve with the dual ply casing is quite superior. i think i can tolerate the lateral flex caused by big holes with a dual ply tire
I heard that Bender user shRAyd3r valves and dual ply casing. That's why he doesn't land any of his drops, cause the air escapency ratio is too high when changing HELLAvation as quickly as he does. If he had Presta it wouldn't be a problem.

I also heard that Bender boldernated TJ when he wouldn't keep licking his balls.

The Ito

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Jm_ said:
:rolleyes: Yeah, we've all seen how many rims fail because they are drilled for shrader

I'm a big supporter of schrader valves. Why? Because they're usually $1 cheaper. Over the years I'm sure I've saved hundreds of dollars, and I can use that money for some nice parts on my bike. Presta valves are a holdover from road bikes where it's just hard to cram 130psi into a shrader. We ride mountain bikes and just don't use that much pressure. I can easily get my pump (mountain morph) on schrader valves. I have seen some "smart valve" pumps that were absolutely terrible at working with schrader valves, in fact I send a box of them back last week and I'm getting them replaced with the old "reversible" ones that are foolproof. I frequently fill both kinds and I can't honestly say that one is easier or harder than the other, they both have their quirks. I find that you have to remember to push on the presta valve sometimes because you have the tube pinched between the tire and the rim a little, and that can explode when you start putting pressure in it. Sometimes you put in a presta valve and then screw down the nut in preperation to fill it, but you haven't made sure to "clear" the tube from the tire bead.

I drill all my rims for schrader tubes and that's what I carry around for a spare. I'd rather be able to use a tube from ANYBODY than take a chance that someone has a presta valve tube for me. I obviously carry my own tubes, but I've been on rides where I handed them out like candy to people who didn't think ahead.

I can micro adjust a schrader just fine, then again I was born with fingernails.

I actually have seen a rim taco right at the hole for a schrader valve hole. At my LBS, presta tubes are the same price as a schrader tube. And presta tubes will fit into a schrader hole in an emergency, but not the other way around.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
presta is besta

loveschradeerrrrbunny licks balls... slurp slurp slurp.

and he secretly runs presta, he just paints them to look like schraedars. Can't argue with physics though. Especially at that level.

SCARY

Not long enough
lovebunny said:
you obviously dont know the inner workings and the mechanics of the presta valve or the shreader valve or you wouldnt have those problems.and yes the bigger hole for shreader does make a rim weaker and flexier. its been proven that a rim drilled for shreader has added flex and adds to your race time. now you multiply that by 2 wheels. its an outrageous amount of time to lose on a race run.
Ever think you didn't get a full ride cuz you are a bone head and you say stupid things?Just a thought.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Shreeydir sucks!!

In additon to ruining the integrity, the imence hole also makes it too light in one spot which unblances the rim. This can cause speed chatter and then lead to wobles. This is very dangerous when cornering: : .

When riders go down (that are using shraydeaores), the number one cause of crash is the shradeeators. When riders using presta's go down, the casue is obviousily rider's error.

I use preta's my self. I have seen the result of shradeeyurs; its not pretty :nopity: .

-$1 more for presta is cheap insurance!-

(and yes all the shradeaetors are all spelled correctly, becasue they all have the 2 reinforcing "e"s)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Bicyclist said:
I hope you're not serious.
This is a very serious thread! Do you not beleive me? I have conducted many experiments that show my conclusion. I too, would post them, but they are far too complicated.

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Duzitall said:
I ride the dirt :dancing:
did you ever consiter the fact that if you lose the valve cap that a presta valve does a better job keeping dirt out, and it doesnt clog open like shrader valves

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The correct spelling has two e's, because one e wouldn't give enough support, becasue shreeadors are not strong enough. This was covered earlier in the thread.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
This is the most inane thread I've seen to date. Everybody knows that schrader* is better because my pump doesn't work as well with presta.

*The Schrader Valve (not shreader, or shredder, or even The Shredder) is a valve stem invented by August Schrader and is used on virtually all automobile tires and wider rimmed (lower pressure) bicycle tires. It is a poppet valve assisted by a spring. Schrader valves are also used on the fuel rail of some direct fuel injection engines and on some automotive air conditioning systems, in a diameter larger than those used on tires, to allow recharging with refrigerant. In addition, Schrader valves are sometimes used on irrigation systems to provide a place to temporarily attach a portable pressure gauge.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
The solution is obvious, guys!

The Woods/Dutch/Dunlop valve:

It has more mechanical parts than the schrader and presta valve combined, has the ability to launch said parts into orbit when dissasembled, requires routine care and maintainance, and is only common in eastern Europe and Japan so you'll be the first cool kid on the mountain rockin' them if you race in the Western hemisphere.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
its an inferior design from presta because you can not get adequate air pressure into the tube efficiently and i have to use to much force on the pump and it gives me arm pump
hahaha i might take that quote

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
The solution is obvious, guys!

The Woods/Dutch/Dunlop valve:

It has more mechanical parts than the schrader and presta valve combined, has the ability to launch said parts into orbit when dissasembled, requires routine care and maintainance, and is only common in eastern Europe and Japan so you'll be the first cool kid on the mountain rockin' them if you race in the Western hemisphere.
the wave of the future!:busted:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
The "Swiss Cheese Shredder"

as seen here.

Note: I do not normally follow the Human Powered Ice Vehicle World Championships, but now that I've found the page, it looks totally sweet. If only we had ice I could practice on in Monterey...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Some real shredding:

But, seriously guys, stay one topic! Where can we get
The Woods/Dutch/Dunlop valve tubes? Does intense tubes with these valves in productions? I heard a rumor that it automtically takes 3.376226373 seconds off you run.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
My biggest gripe with presta is that it can be hard to close off the valve without losing air. And as my hero RC Cunningham says, 38 psi is optimal, any more and the ride can be jarring, any less and I can feel my sidewalls flex. Schrader valves simply provide a more accurate air installation. Plus, if they're used on cars, they must be better.
some high performance cars and trucks use presta. (not that i know why)