Quantcast

Shretty Ray's Rocked - caution 56K

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
From the shreddin'est betties to the newest of newbies, Ray's generously opened their doors Feb 22 - 24 to the ladies with free entry all weekend. Free instruction during the women's only session on Friday til 4p from phenomenal riders like Jill Kintner, Sue Haywood, Tammy Donahugh and the Blk Mrkt Shretties Lisa Myklak and Emily Johnson, to name a few. (Watching Haywood get instruction from Kintner on the pump track was cool.)

If I have this right, it was Karen and her crew at Dirt Rag who put on the event (thank you!) and reserved Ray's for the same weekend next year. (Thanks even more!) *edit: I've been informed propers are due to Mindy at Ray's as well. Thanks!*

Book your flights, schedule your vacations, do what you gotta do to be there next year. There were women of all ages and skill levels and I think just about every one of us improved substantially over the weekend. Bring your fella's but give them the camera or send them shopping on Friday til 4pm when they open the place back up to co-ed for the rest of the weekend.

The photos are sorta crappy because my ol' man was working his way through a new camera so he was a little shy on timing and focus. Nice of him to take the time to shoot though, eh? These women nearly never get an ounce of the recognition they deserve.

All to ourselves!

Emily Air Johnson

Toboggan Tammy Donahugh

Gale Backflip Dahlager (I love the look on the woman's face standing on the side.)

Emily Superman (Doc said she had it clicked so he's kicking himself for missing it.)

Lisa X up Myklak

The hostess with the mostest, Nina B in the place the be

Lil' ol' me...before Gale finally got me to look up after spotting the landing.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Great pictures! I bet it was nice having the place to yourselves! How many women total came out?

So are they having the same deal next year? I might have to think about it.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Yay! More girls for next year.

Tree Saw it's partly my fault you didn't hear about it. I've been so darn busy I totally forgot to put a notice up in here. Shameful! And I'm sorry because I was truly bummed when I was there and realized my oversight.

VT Mtbkr, I think there were about 40 women there on the girls only Friday and plenty more showed up throughout the weekend. And all types, all riding disciplines, from XC to BMX.

So bummed I didn't get a pic of Sue Haywood on the jumps. I could be wrong but she looked like it may have been her first time at it and the ear-to-ear grin on her was awesome.

Kintner has a blog about the "event" and lots more pics on her site. www.jillkintner.com There's a group shot on there of most of the women who rode Friday.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
And yes, to my undestanding it will basically be the same deal next year.

It'd be okay with me if they charged us next year. Or maybe gave the 1st timers at women's weekend the freebie. Someone recommended a pay-what-you-can thing for next year.

Ray was overheard saying "It's cute to see you girls riding around having fun." Yep, Tammy's no-footed can-cans were "cute". LOL!

I will not shirk my RM announcement responsibilities next year. *embarrassed*

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Holy moly that's awesome!!!!

Makes me want a fun play bike like that!
I think I might know of a couple for sale. Teehee, giggle giggle. ;)

Seriously though, it looks like Ray's has a pretty sweet fleet for rent with those Black Markets, so they got what you need without having to pay for the whole enchilada.

Have you been to Ray's yet Mark? I think I may have been the parks only skeptic. And golly, was I rightfully a minority because it's insane how much fun to be had by any skill level.

The set up is really impressive and incredibly convenient. Holiday Inn offers a smokin' deal to Ray's riders, and a nifty shuttle to and from Ray's/Hotel/Airport. (Well, HI will have that smokin' deal until too many chowderheads wreck one too many rooms and they end up having us banned from the hotel.)

This has all probably been stated in other threads about Ray's but I was so not interested before, I never bothered reading them. LOL. Who's the chowderhead now? d'oh.

Liz.

Stephanie from Slope Sistair

Tammy working on her NFCC's

Foam Pit Sherpa

J'ammy