Quantcast

Shutter failure?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
So recently the shutter on my D50 has been "sticking". It is approximately 5 years old and has probably 15K shots through it. Issue doesn't occur on all shots, or even consecutive shots, it crops up randomly everytime I take more than a couple of pictures. What will happen is after I depress the shutter release it will open, but not close until I depress the shutter release again. Does that sound like a failing shutter? Or just a grimy camera that needs to be cleaned? At this point its probably not cost effective to dump more than a few bucks into that camera since I'm looking to upgrade before the end of the year, but hoping to make it last until then.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
15K sounds very premature for a shutter to fail. i've never had one, and have used 3 cameras that have each had at least 100K actuations on them.

can you put it in bulb mode and test the shutter opening and closing that way?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Is it really your shutter sticking open (ie, blown out, completely white pictures)? It almost sounds like a Mirror Lock Up going on, since it's one click to lock the mirror in place, and then another to actually release the shutter.

Just a thought...

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Interesting thought, I'll have to see if I can duplicate the issue tonight when I get home. I know I don't have the mirror lock-up function on, so I'd be curious to know what would be causing that if that was the case...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Well, your camera doesn't have MLU for taking pictures, but does have something similar for cleaning the sensor. Just double-check the pictures, as if it's just the mirror staying up your picture will turn out fine (your shutter will still only be open for a short period of time), but if the pictures are over-exposed then it will be that your shutter was open the whole time as well...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
D50 shutter life is 50k. You're certainly low for it to be failing, but failure at low numbers has happened before.