Quantcast

Shuttle rigs

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I got my shuttle rig almost done and ready for the summer. It has a front 1.5" spacer, 1.5" add a leaf in the rear and BFG AT 33s. Topper and spray in bedliner next and maybe 35s. It will hold 8 bikes with no shuttle scratches via a bed rack and a T2. Post some pics of your shuttle rigs.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Kanter said:
I got my shuttle rig almost done and ready for the summer. It has a front 1.5" spacer, 1.5" add a leaf in the rear and BFG AT 33s. Topper and spray in bedliner next and maybe 35s. It will hold 8 bikes with no shuttle scratches via a bed rack and a T2. Post some pics of your shuttle rigs.
do you have picts of the bed?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
This works pretty well, and gets great mileage. It also strikes fear in the hearts of women and children.

Ooops, was pretty pickled last night, forgot to mention this isn't mine, it's a buddy's. I am poor and can not afford a vehicle.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Great Mileage :rolleyes::rofl: really???

When I get a truck, I'm planning on a '91 chevy K1500 with 33's, rancho 4" lift for the front and 4" Deaver leaves in the back.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
General Lee said:
i think this thread is an excuse to post a picture of your truck
Please show me a pic of the General Lee with a Sportwerks rack attatched. That would be pure hotness.

Wish I had a pic of our other buddy's pre runner. Words do not do his earlier truck justice, only video, pics, or sitting shotgun as he pins sketchy 15mph fire roads at 60+mph, sliding more than driving straight, can possibly express how crazy it is. Might get some pics this summer.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
mtnbrider said:
Great Mileage :rolleyes::rofl: really???

When I get a truck, I'm planning on a '91 chevy K1500 with 33's, rancho 4" lift for the front and 4" Deaver leaves in the back.

Please don't buy a 1/2 ton if you plan on putting oversized rubber on it.
I had a 1 ton with 34s and it still went through front end parts at an alarming rate.
Buy a truck with burly parts if your going to go with burly tires. And if you go chevy, go old solid axle chevy.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Here in Spain we do way too much of this nonsense:

2-bike racks with 3 or 4 DH bikes tossed on. Include drunken Spanish driver and you have an adventure combined with a headache, all in one. Advil not included, nor their beautiful little sisters. Damn.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
buildyourown said:
Please don't buy a 1/2 ton if you plan on putting oversized rubber on it.
I had a 1 ton with 34s and it still went through front end parts at an alarming rate.
Buy a truck with burly parts if your going to go with burly tires. And if you go chevy, go old solid axle chevy.
I would go solid axle, but then those are only carberated. I don't want gas mileage to be horrible. I was thinking about a solid axle cconversion, but even to do them yourself it's expensive.I have heard of lots of people using 33's w/o problems. 33's are only about 2"- 4" bigger than stock, right?

So you were going through A-arms, knuckles, links, etc.?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
now that is what i'm talkin about!!!

we won't talk about what happened down in the parking lot later that day with the trailer.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
lonewolfe said:
Bigger and Blacker - Environmentalist Dream Veheicle!

If you want one it will take about 6 months for delivery.
I'd like to have that truck. However, I think it cost more than my house. Last time I heard, the guys building them up like that were charging $150k'ish and had a line of people waiting to buy them.

The GMC Kodiak trucks have been popping up all over here too. Most are 2WD and guys are using them to tow big race trailers. It makes more sense if your pulling a 15,000 pound trail. Heck, my 3000 pound trailer is a handful in the mountains behind my F150SC.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
This is not my beast of a truck! The guy who owns this truck also owns the building where I had my Bullit frame powder coated. That truck was there when I went to drop off my frame and I had to take pictures to share with all you monkies out there!

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Big truck is compensating for a small penis as far as I'm concerned. I would never want to drive something like that. I'll stick with my Jetta with Yakima/Sportworks Bob Ratchets on top thank you very much.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
mtnbrider said:
I would go solid axle, but then those are only carberated. I don't want gas mileage to be horrible. I was thinking about a solid axle cconversion, but even to do them yourself it's expensive.I have heard of lots of people using 33's w/o problems. 33's are only about 2"- 4" bigger than stock, right?

If you're getting a Chevy truck with oversized tires and a lift you obviously don't care about gas mileage. If you'd rather not be raped at the pump maybe a Toyota truck like Bikenweed's, or maybe not a truck at all. A normal car (Honda Civic?) would get 30+ mpg and could carry at least 4 bikes on the roof.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
black noise said:
If you're getting a Chevy truck with oversized tires and a lift you obviously don't care about gas mileage. If you'd rather not be raped at the pump maybe a Toyota truck like Bikenweed's, or maybe not a truck at all. A normal car (Honda Civic?) would get 30+ mpg and could carry at least 4 bikes on the roof.
Well, I am going to be taking it in the dirt. I don't think it's so bad to care somewhat gas mileage in a truck.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
wannabeabonedoc said:

nuff said
5 guys, 5 bikes, 2door honda civic
i never thought it could be done, i have been proven wrong. i hope the guys sitting in the back aren't very big.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
2005 Lancer Evo 8. No rack(yet), no folding backseat....but the fastest single person shuttle there is.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
wannabeabonedoc said:

nuff said
5 guys, 5 bikes, 2door honda civic
Is that a Suzuki Samurai in the background? I always thought one of those would make a great shuttle rig. Very fuel efficient, 4 wheel drive, 4 passenger and you could put one of those sportworks racks on the back that hold 4 downhill rigs. I know they are not fast on the road but they are incredible climbers believe it or not. And, they are cheap!!!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
kinghami3 said:
do you have picts of the bed?

I have a home made wood bike rack for 4 bikes.

General Lee said:
i think this thread is an excuse to post a picture of your truck

No, I love cars and trucks and was curious as to what people drive.

Any more pics of shuttle rigs?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
mtnbrider said:

When I bought the truck it needed balljoints and rod ends all around. I did everything and replaced the tie rod and drag link with custom bars that would take bigger and cheaper chevy 1 ton rod ends.
I sold the truck 10k miles later and the steering was getting sloppy again.

I still wouldn't put big rubber on a 1/2 ton. 1/2 tons have tiny brakes (especially older chevys) and the bigger rotors on a 1 ton are welcome.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I would think you only need a solid axle if you are wheeling? If its just a truck with lift and tires, no real wheeling (95% of lifted trucks) you should be fine.
My '98 3/4 ton with the ifs seemed to work just fine as shuttle truck, especially when coupled with a 15 bike trailer. We were using my '86 with 33x9.50 pizza slicers today, but 7 dudes and bikes was about all the 1/2 ton could handle. With the 9.50s I'm not too worried about front end parts, not enough contact area I would think?