Quantcast

Shuttle rigs

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nothing fancy. 2001 Ford Ranger with a rack built from 2*4s in the back. Three bikes drop right in. More of an excuse to post a sweet photo.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
When you guys are talking about gas mileage is it just out of habit or are you really talking petrol? Just curious, I heard diesel in mid sized vans is really uncommon overthere.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Hmmm I thought that was the case a few years ago but read diesel in cars was taking off but vans were still clinging onto petrol?

Does that piss you guys off or do you all still prefer petrol?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Hmmm I thought that was the case a few years ago but read diesel in cars was taking off but vans were still clinging onto petrol?

Does that piss you guys off or do you all still prefer petrol?
diesels in cars is most definitely not taking off in the US. there is only a few companies that make a diesel in a saloon...VW, BMW, MB. no American companies.

vans are still only really coming in gas unless you really go out of your way to find a diesel van (which there arent many of). there are no 1/2ton or 1/4 pickups that come in diesel..only 3/4 and 1ton trucks.

it pissed me off since America hasnt realized the awesomeness of oil burners and how clean they can be.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Ya I'm a big fan of diesel myself, mainly due to uber tightness! In the UK it basically goes petrol = sports cars and pissy worthless little city cars and diesel = everything else, not quite but you get me.

Funny how different reality is compared to what you read, as always.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i doubt anything will change when a lot of companies are focusing on direct injected 4 or 6 cylinder cars. ford seems to have the right ticket with their direct injected single or dual turbo EcoBoost engines.
the 3 American companies abandoned their plans for 1/4 and 1/2ton diesel truck plans which is a shame.
everywhere else in the world that ive been has embraced diesels for many many years....not America.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ya I'm a big fan of diesel myself, mainly due to uber tightness! In the UK it basically goes petrol = sports cars and pissy worthless little city cars and diesel = everything else, not quite but you get me.

Also Diesel pricing is opposite EU as in the US diesel is the most expensive fuel.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
diesel is pretty much the same price as petrol and sometimes more expensive. Winter months up the price of it here as people use it for home heating oil. Even when its more expensive the increased mpg is well worth it. I love my diesel 35mpg for local short trips and 45-50mpg on long trips depending on how heavy my right foot is and how many bikes i have on the rack or in the car. Still can't understand the fascination with large petrol engines in trucks and vans even with cheap fuel prices they seem pretty pointless. You may as well roll blunts with 100 dollar bills and light them with your 50s as you drive

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
diesel is pretty much the same price as petrol and sometimes more expensive. Winter months up the price of it here as people use it for home heating oil. Even when its more expensive the increased mpg is well worth it. I love my diesel 35mpg for local short trips and 45-50mpg on long trips depending on how heavy my right foot is and how many bikes i have on the rack or in the car. Still can't understand the fascination with large petrol engines in trucks and vans even with cheap fuel prices they seem pretty pointless. You may as well roll blunts with 100 dollar bills and light them with your 50s as you drive

The premium you pay to purchase a Diesel vehicle in the states equates to a lot of driving before you will see any savings due to increased fuel economy over the same vehicle with a gas engine. For example the Power Stroke Diesel in the Ford P/U is an $8000 option. More of a long term investment. The new low emission Diesels in the trucks aren't that great on fuel economy anyway.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I just bought a new truck and was talking with the guys at Ford regarding diesels. They basically said (I'm no gear head so I don't have exact figures) that a lot of people are opting for the V10 gas trucks over the diesels due to the expense. 1st; yes, the gas is more expensive but you do make up for it with the MPG's, but the maintenance is crazy expensive for diesels. Oil changes are over $100 (I think closer to $200?), and a lot of servicing requires dismanteling the front end of the truck and practically dropping the engine. There were a lot of things that I found shocking as big ticket regular maintenance items. This may be Ford specific?, but the sales crew was saying that generally the big gassers are more cost effective for most situations. (I was not considering a diesel so this was not linked to a sales pitch...I'm sure they screwed me in other ways:))

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Just simply not true.

I have 224k miles on my 2000 F250 7.3 diesel. I get 19-20 mpg. Since I bought it new I have replaced two water pumps, clutch, done the brakes once, tie rods ends, and ball joints in addition to regular oil changes at 5000 miles. I have not even had to think about looking inside the engine.

I think where most people ring up expenses on diesels is when the hot rod them. This brings on injector, intercooler, turbo, and fuel pump repair and replacement. If you leave the damn thing stock and change your oil 7.3 Powerstrokes can easily go 400k without getting inside the engine. Hell I've seen a Dodge Cummins with 800k on it. I also have a Excursion with a 7.3 and its got 276k with only 1 water pump. BTW, I replaced the water pumps myself for less than $150.

That being said, The newer Ford diesels are nightmares as you say. Ford is really hurting themselves. I have heard that it is easier to pull the cab to work on the engine rather than just getting under the hood. I think this refers to the latest 6.4 and 6.7 engines. The older 7.3s (1999-2003) are rock solid.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and a lot of servicing requires dismanteling the front end of the truck and practically dropping the engine.
a lot of the full size diesels, particularly the Ford, specify removing the cab of the truck to access the turbos and other parts of the engine. it is actually pretty easy removing the cab of a pickup.
removing the engine is not a way of servicing the truck.
their new diesel developed in-house and not made by Navstar does not require the body to be removed to major servicing.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I have owned two identically configured chevy 2500hds; one being 6.0 gas and the current a duramax. The dmax has been cheaper to run overall. These are commercial use trucks and operating costs are well documented.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
a lot of the full size diesels, particularly the Ford, specify removing the cab of the truck to access the turbos and other parts of the engine. it is actually pretty easy removing the cab of a pickup.
removing the engine is not a way of servicing the truck.
their new diesel developed in-house and not made by Navstar does not require the body to be removed to major servicing.
Servicing the engine to require the removal of the cab is not tied to who makes the engine. That is a vehicle issue and specifically tied to the 6.4 engine. NOT the 7.3.

I have been around a lot of R&D development of diesel engines from Cat, to Mack, to Navistar, and Cummins. (previous life) and I would never touch a diesel engine made by Ford with a ten foot pole.

Just to shed a little light. The later model "Ford" diesel engines which have issue after issue have been Ford's doing. Navistar has made solid engines and continues to. The VT365 (Ford 6.0) is still a solid preforming engine for International (Navistar). Ford pushed the introduction of that engine before it was ready, then hastily pushed Navistar to increase the displacement to keep up with the HP race. Now Ford has their own hunk a junk 6.7 that continues Ford's bad decision making. You want the best, go the experts. Ford is not an expert at diesel engines. I'd leave that to the Navistars, Cummins, and the like.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Servicing the engine to require the removal of the cab is not tied to who makes the engine. That is a vehicle issue and specifically tied to the 6.4 engine. NOT the 7.3.

Now Ford has their own hunk a junk 6.7 that continues Ford's bad decision making. You want the best, go the experts. Ford is not an expert at diesel engines. I'd leave that to the Navistars, Cummins, and the like.
it is a combination of the Navstar engine in the Ford bodys. Ford's new engine, doesnt require removal of the cab because of all the vital parts being accessible from the engine bay.
ford and navstar have gone through 4 iterations of their engines since 2002 and after the last lawsuit, the courts agreed the issues stemmed from navstar.

Ford's new 6.7L is actually proving to be a fantastic engine and is far ahead of past diesel engines used in all trucks.
heres a pretty thorough breakdown of the new Scorpion engine and why its so much more advanced then prior diesels
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/first-look-fords-new-6-7-liter-v-8-scorpion-power-stroke-diesel-engine.html

id personally still take a Cummins engine any day over a PSD or Duramax...new or old

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Sounds to me like Ford changed body to meet engine. The 6.4 happened in a body change year and the body was designed poorly.

6.7 being advanced? Who cares? No real diesel man does. They want peak torque at low RPM and a long lasting engine. Lets see how these Scorpins hold up. Talk to me when millions of them are on the road and have 400k on them.

Leave it to light duty truck owners to care about HP numbers.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Lets everyone just cut and paste our posts from last weeks "I need a little truck to carry by bike and potting soil, but lets argue about full size diesels to seem like a man, but we only go to Bed Bath and Beyond and maybe Home Depot on saturdays" thread!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
6.7 being advanced? Who cares? No real diesel man does. They want peak torque at low RPM and a long lasting engine. Lets see how these Scorpins hold up. Talk to me when millions of them are on the road and have 400k on them.

Leave it to light duty truck owners to care about HP numbers.
who cares? need a turbo swap for some reason? no need to pull the cab since its right there on top of the engine. it's cleaner, quieter and lighter then anything else out there in full size trucks

obviously peak torque at low rpm's is paramount and the 6.7L is the most powerful diesel on the market...800-ft-lbs @ 1600rpm compared to the Cummins w/ 650 @ 1500rpm and the Duramax at 765 @ 1600

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I didn't say who cares to cab removal for replacing a turbo. I said who cares to "advanced engine". That article was an advertisment written with a heavy Ford hand. BTW, the Bosch HPCR system is pretty much industry standard now, so its not a feather in the cap of Ford. The Durramax and Cummin have been using it for a while now. Oh yeah I wrote my Master's Thesis on the early technology of Bosch's HPCR.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The full sized diesel truck makes more sense than the gas conterparts for a few reasons.
1. Tow Capacity
2. Fuel Mileage
3. Lower maint costs
4. Higher resale
5. Reliability

Getting 17MPG while towing a car at 70MPH from AZ-CA just wouldn't happen with a V8 or V-10 gas truck. Local rancher here who operates a large animal towing company has 1.3 million miles on his 99 Dodge Cummins. He said about 90% of that was pulling large loaded trailers!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Getting 17MPG while towing a car at 70MPH from AZ-CA just wouldn't happen with a V8 or V-10 gas truck. Local rancher here who operates a large animal towing company has 1.3 million miles on his 99 Dodge Cummins. He said about 90% of that was pulling large loaded trailers!
double yup

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
and the real kicker is that ford has decided to use a urea system to help keep Nox down. huge mistake IMO. that feature alone would prevent me from buying the new ford superduty
Gosh darn it, them Ford peoples have no idea what they are doing. Any motor veehicle company using that silly system is on the fast track to going out of beesness!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and the real kicker is that ford has decided to use a urea system to help keep Nox down. huge mistake IMO. that feature alone would prevent me from buying the new ford superduty
MB has been using the urea injector system for a few years. its one of the cleanest gas or diesel engines around too

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Audi, BMW, Hyundai, Jeep, Kia, MiniCooper, VW, Mazda, Freightliner, Kenworth, Mack, Peterbilt, Volvo, Cummins, and MB have been using the urea injector system for a few years. its one of the cleanest gas or diesel engines around too
:stupid:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Every diesel will be using this in the next couple of years in Europe, it's inevitable. Every brand new HGV has had it for years.

It's kinda mad the size of engines you guys are talking about, my van has a 2.5TDI haha!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
looks like i forgot one.

jeep used it in their CRD in the liberty and GC?

Help,
I got my penis stuck in my 7.3L motor. Do any of you guys know a good way to augment it?
if youre standing in my way again in the parking lot while im driving, ill help get it out :)

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Urea is fine as long as America puts in the infrastructure to support it. It works well for fleets who fill at designated locations. I saw a really cool dual fuel (diesel + urea) system years ago from Ford that filled both tanks with a single nozzle. But what happens if you get to an area without urea at the pump, does OBD shut your vehicle down?

Mickey, if you don't have anything to add to the conversation fvck off. I don't jump into your skin suit conversations just to be a d!ck.

Gosh darn it, them Ford peoples have no idea what they are doing. Any motor veehicle company using that silly system is on the fast track to going out of beesness!
Seen it from the inside?