Quantcast

SHUTTLERS: Are you happy with current tie down options?

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Hey all. There has been some discussion locally about a specifically designed tie down for shuttling of the bikes. The aim is to simplify the process when driving to a new spot, the bike park or traveling as well.

The idea is to work at securing your rides either in a rack in the bed of your truck, or secure them when hanging over the tailgate (if anyone does that), but quickly (meaning more shuttles) and simply.

So who is happy with the current, general purpose hardware store purchased tie downs, and who would like to see a specially designed piece that would enable quicker changeovers and more secure strapping?

What are most doing and is a strap like this of interest to anyone?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I've always felt like if someone combined the ubiquitous Dakine tailgate pad with some sort of lashing system across the top which went around the down tube to keep bikes from shifting/bouncing around during shuttles it would be cool/effective/easy. It would keep people's down tubes from getting dented and keep bikes from ramming into each other.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I've always felt like if someone combined the ubiquitous Dakine tailgate pad with some sort of lashing system across the top which went around the down tube to keep bikes from shifting/bouncing around during shuttles it would be cool/effective/easy. It would keep people's down tubes from getting dented and keep bikes from ramming into each other.
Like this one?

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Similar to the Dakine pad denjen posted, I've thought about a version that is basically a "cap" for the top of the tailgate with 6 or so downtube trays (with rubber straps) firmly mounted to the cap (although the ability to slide trays would be nice too). Assuming the trays had a soft rubber coating, I think it would be a more stable platform and reduce frame shifting and downtube paint rubbing.

Needless to say, this concept is based on some of Brad Flynn's prior art.

Onmymtb

Chimp
Jan 17, 2012
A, A
Similar to the Dakine pad denjen posted, I've thought about a version that is basically a "cap" for the top of the tailgate with 6 or so downtube trays (with rubber straps) firmly mounted to the cap (although the ability to slide trays would be nice too). Assuming the trays had a soft rubber coating, I think it would be a more stable platform and reduce frame shifting and downtube paint rubbing.

Needless to say, this concept is based on some of Brad Flynn's prior art.
Yes but will it be enduro and DH specific? I feel the DH one should also come in plaid

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've been looking for a rack that will allow me to mount my dh bike to the back of my enduro bike. It's a revolutionary new riding style I've been workshopping with some focus groups, and I think it's almost ready for the unveil...
Imagine, no more riding a crappy enduro rig down fun trails! Ride like a bro in five easy steps!

1. Ride the disposable bike to the top
2. Remove dh bike from rack
3. Throw disposable bike off cliff or into stream for nature to get rid of
4. Ride the DH bike down the way a trail is meant to be ridden.
5. Profit

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I've been looking for a rack that will allow me to mount my dh bike to the back of my enduro bike. It's a revolutionary new riding style I've been workshopping with some focus groups, and I think it's almost ready for the unveil...
Imagine, no more riding a crappy enduro rig down fun trails! Ride like a bro in three easy steps!

2. Ride the DH bike down the way a trail is meant to be ridden.
3. Profit
Imagine, no more riding a crappy enduro rig down fun trails! Ride like a bro in five easy steps!

4. Ride the DH bike down the way a trail is meant to be ridden.
5. Profit
You can say that again, with edits.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I try. Truth is I'm not so good, I double posted while making fun of your double post.
Wow, I just realized that I had an actual double post- I thought you caught my initial post that was up for 30 seconds. I'm an idiot, and it can only be summed up with a quote:

David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh... Nigel Tufnel: Clever. David St. Hubbins: Yeah, and clever.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Wow, I just realized that I had an actual double post- I thought you caught my initial post that was up for 30 seconds. I'm an idiot, and it can only be summed up with a quote:

David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh... Nigel Tufnel: Clever. David St. Hubbins: Yeah, and clever.
Here's your sign :thumb:

All in good fun man, all in good fun.,

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Bwahaha! Always good to see the directions a post can go in.

The new Dakine pad is an improvement, but not perfect. The regular tie-down is not hard to use, as "WestCoastHucker" so eloquently pointed out, but like many things, there are ways to improve. Wrapping your strap around 4+ bikes takes time and is tedious as fack, especially when everyone wants to get as many runs in. On the shuttle roads around here (forest service roads, not tar), it doesn't take much for the wrap of the strap to loosen and make it pointless having it there to begin with.

The idea for these straps is to create a piece that utilizes the regular strap, but is super simple and secures the bike easily. If there is no interest, that's fine, just putting it out there to see whether it's worth looking into further.