Quantcast

Shuttling in Santa Cruz... Read This

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
To everyone who shuttles the UCSC trails... The locals who live on the private road that we drive up are fed up with all of us using the road to shuttle. I've had run-ins with some of them before but it's finally gotten serious. Last week the sheriff was called and we were informed by him that if the road continues to be abused he’ll be issuing arrests. He was serious too… as in, if he gets another call about bikers using the road he’ll start arresting people.

Anyway, all hope is not lost. We’ve contacted one of the neighborhood officials and are trying to work out some kind of deal where we chip in some money annually for road maintenance in exchange for being able to use the road. We’re still trying to work this out, so in the mean time I’m asking people to please hold off on using that road to shuttle. It’s a pretty delicate situation right now (some of the locals are really pissed off) and having people continue to use the road is only going to hurt our chances of working out some kind of agreement. Also, it would really suck to get arrested if someone calls the sheriff on you, so suck it up and climb/push up the trails for the time being.

If people could spread the word to anyone they know who uses the road it would be appreciated… I’ll keep people updated when I find out more.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Goin' medium just sent me a pm asking about shuttling the long way... either up felton-empire road or around through town, then up empire grade to twin gates. This is still ok of course, it's just a bit of hassel. Anyway, for some people it's still better than climbing.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Oh shucks! 911 thanks so much for telling us. I've seen the signs up there, and we try to be as courteous as possible. I WILL keep off the shuttling for now if this is the case. I would be more than happy to chip in money to keep that road maintained. We've been parking near the "No Parking" signs in that little circle since the dirt road got chained off. I do know of that long way to shuttle, but where can you park if you do it that way?

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
DLo said:
Oh shucks! 911 thanks so much for telling us. I've seen the signs up there, and we try to be as courteous as possible. I WILL keep off the shuttling for now if this is the case. I would be more than happy to chip in money to keep that road maintained. We've been parking near the "No Parking" signs in that little circle since the dirt road got chained off. I do know of that long way to shuttle, but where can you park if you do it that way?
Thanks DLo... I think most people that use the road are courteous and respectful of the locals, but the locals just have close to zero tolerance for us driving up their road. Anyway... we're still trying to work something out.

If you shuttle the long way, just park up by twin gates on empire grade, you can park along side the road just above or below the gates. Unfortunately, driving the long way takes so much time that it's almost not worth it.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Time to start going the long way again...... Oh well, its better than not having a place to ride!

thanks for the heads up

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Thanks for the info even though i dont shuttle. Im not at all suprised to hear this, those trails are all illegal to ride and we are very lucky to be any where near them. I know its easy to shuttle cause you get more runs in but come on just suck it up and ride or at least push up.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Thanks for the heads up Aaron, I hope people respect this warning and that some sort of resolution can be worked out soon. In the mean time it's only a few more minutes of driving to just go around to Empire and you don't have to pedal up hill at all that way...Whistler was fun...did you get your rear shock worked out? My wrist was okay after two days off, we decided to stay a few extra days to make up for that and other delays. Riding up there has stoked me to build some stuff locally but I am afraid it will get torn down fast. Do you know what's the deal as far as building stunts out there? I have heard that in the past there were more but what happened to them??? Anybody go to the local screening of the collective? I missed it for Whistler but picked up a copy up there, Sick vid!

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
DLo said:
Any update on this? Let us know if you need people to show up and talk or somethin.
I know a few people who went to the community meeting thing the locals do each month. That was just last night so I haven't heard what happened yet.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
It's not any one particular trail, it's one of the access roads that some people use to shuttle all of the trails...

if you aren't shuttling on that specific road then you have no worries.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The deal is shuttle up empire or please don't shuttle at all. It only adds 3-5 min to each shuttle max and keeps everybody happy!

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Whoa. I kind of know that area. Shuttling that way only adds 5 minutes? You gotta go all the way around, back up 1, make a right on one road (not mission), then a left, and just go straight up which eventually becomes empire, no? I'm gettin rusty.

Where do you park on empire?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
okay, maybe it's closer to 10 minutes but basically yes, you can take King or High (becomes empire) street if mission has a lot of traffic. At least going up empire, you don't have to pedal uphill at all.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Okay. Where do ya park your rigs? I know there's a gate out there, but if I remember right you can't park in front of those gates. You come out one side and that's from UCSC, if you go into the gate on the other side of the road, that drops you into wilder. Correct?

Max told me there's a place you can park about a quarter mile up the road?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
you can park about 100yds before the gates or a ways after, either is kosher but you are correct do not park in front of the gates or you will get towed/ticketed.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
Hi i live up there and we worked out a deal with the people at the very top of the road we just had to tell them we pay for the roads too. so all we have to do now is leave a message in the window of are car. i do not know what happend at the meating, but if you what to know you can call this # 831-335-5774 it is the # of forest lakes. and if it means anything to you that is all state park at the top so you should be able to park there, but i would not want to get arrested.and i hop this all end soon.
-Jim

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Well, I spoke to a "Mona Detrick" (SP?) and we still aren't supposed to use those roads. She had no idea what I was talking about, and she told me that using those roads is still considered invading private property.

So. What are you talking about???????

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Some lady from Forrest just called me back again. I had already been told yesterday by the gal that I spoke to that we wouldn't be able to use those roads. This lady calls me back and she seemed to have a really cold attitude too. Almost kind of scolding. "No, we will not issue permission for you to use those roads." etc etc. I told the woman that I was already informed of this information yesterday..

So, where the hell did you get this info from?

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Ironjim seems confused. First, those are private roads up there, paid for by the property and homeowners, so if you aren't one of those groups, you aren't paying for the roads and are trespassing. That's what the sheriff was saying earlier in this thread. And secondly, it's not all state parks up there. some of it is UC, and some of it is private property

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
There are a lot brand new members posting in this thread. That makes me reluctant to believe anything I haven't seen or been told directly in person. I can't imagine where Ironjim would have come up with that story other than it being a complete lie. But what would be his motive? To get people back up there with a note on their cars so he (possibly a private land owner?) would know for sure who's window's to smash???

I'm just glad my bike has two front rings.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
ok everwhere up at the top that you can park is state park and not everybody up here pays for the roads too. you have to be a share holder and most of the people are but there are still a lot of people that arent. so what you are saying is that some people who live up here are trespassing just to get to there own house. i have lived up here my whole life so i know this is ture. AND DONT EVER SAY THAT I AM CONFUSED AGAIN.

bikermom

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
I happen to agree with IronJim. I happen to live there and have to deal with these idiots so I am hoping to find someone who doesn't live here who is willing to present this info. Upon visits to planning I have found out that the property at the top is state park prop. There is also an easement on the road allowing people to pass and park. Planning seemed to believe that what they are doing is illegal. I do not believe she expressed this to the sheriff when they were so busy posting signs. You can not control parking and traffic on property you do not own. The lady who is behind this is upset because "on the weekend sometimes 2-4 cars a day come up there." I have finally stopped being hasseled by her but would like to see her leave everyone else alone and have to eat sh@# for being a bi#$%.

anyone who wants to pursue this further let me know and

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
First off IronJim,

I hope your comment about "never accusing you of being confused" was not serious. You have to understand that your original comment on this topic was your first post EVER on RM. Therefore you had ZERO credibility. With only two more posts you have gained credibility by presenting more info on the topic. As for my post about possible motives, I think it was fairly evident that I was speculating as to the only possible thing I could think of. I was not saying that I necessarily though that was what was happening. Now that we know you and bikermom live there (forest lakes) and we also know that not everybody who lives there pays for the roads and that the dirt parking is actually state property, I think you both have much more credibility. I'm sure as you continue to post your credibility will also increase. Please understand that we might sometimes be hesitant to take the word of a complete stranger as the truth concerning matters as serious as trespassing. I appreciate the information you have provided on this topic and look forward to hearing what else you insiders have to say.

Also, it never hurts to tell us more about yourself...

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Okay.. so how exactly do we go about this matter? I'd love to start shuttling up the short way again, but I don't want to piss anybody off at those houses. I can understand them being ticked if they've got a whole bunch of people comin up with trucks and stuff, but like I said, ever since I've learnt that we were privileged (at one time at least) to use the roads, I've tried to be as courteous as possible.

I'd love some more information. Kind of confused here myself. The people at Forrest Lakes, that number you supplied jim? They seemed really incooperative. Basically just shot me down once I brought it up. A little demanding too it seems, askin for my personal info. :confused:

elderz

Chimp
Jul 31, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
well im not really informed on the current situation, but as to forest lakes, most of the roads are public not private. i lived there for 13 years and the issue came up more then once. the dirt road to my house collapsed in a landslide one winter and it was a bitch to fix. basically we were told that the road was a public road, privately maintained. what that means is that the when things go wrong, insurance covers nothing because you dont own it but the county wont do anything either because it is "privately maintained". this means homeowners have to pay the upkeep on the road but dont have any say in who can or cant come and go. with this in mind, many of these roads are public, but some will be private. even if the roads are public though, please have some respect for those that live there as this is their home.

anyway thats just my 2 cents

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Look, I'm new here on this board myself, but I know the area, some of the residents, know something about the, ah, agencies involved, and thought I had something to contribute. I'm definitely not looking to get in a flame war with some folks I don't know over a sport we all seem to be interested in.

One map looks as if the area in question is clearly outside the park. A second makes it look as if the park has a little wedge that maybe comes over to touch the road. I'd hate to count on that, especially as there are houses over that side of the road near the top, and you can bet the houses are not in the state park. And it is clear from both maps that there is private property between the houses and the state park down closer to the bottom.

Maybe what Jim and Bikermom are talking about is the other road that runs almost to the top . So maybe that isn't part of the private subdivision. Is it a county road? I don't know. But that road ends, or at least the name changes to the name of the clearly posted private road.

The part about the easement is also dubious to me. I don't think Common carriers such as UPS need an easement to go about their legal business. So, the question is: Easement for what, for whom, to go where? Ususally they are specific, and they have to be for a legal purpose. I don't think telling a deputy that an easement allows you shuttle access to poach trails on private or state park property is going to get anybody more than a laugh and a citation.

What is pretty clear is that the land and road above the private subdivision goes into UC. That shows on the maps, and there is a great big sign above the gate. They seem pretty laid back on patrols and enforcement, but complaints from the neighbors won't help things.

My two cents? Don't shuttle this area or these roads. It will only draw attention to it. Can anything good come of that?

bikermom

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
The last IronJim posting was actually me, he was at my house and forgot to log out, He rides with my son and I didn't check to see who was logged in. So any questions let me know.