Quantcast

Shuttling in Santa Cruz... Read This

bikermom

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
I was just reminded of something by Harry Callahan that it might be better not to disclose this to everyone. So it is probably a good idea to go through and delete all posatings that refer to where this is. I have already gotten a ticket for riding mailboxes and that was 200.00. If thee rangers get involved we will all be wishing we kept our mouths shut. So maybe everyone else should delete anything signifying where we are talking about. If anybody needs a link to that website I posdted earlier just PM me and I'll tell ya.

LET'S TRY TO KEEP THIS TRAIL AND SURROUNDING AREA FOR LOCALS ONLY.

Just a thought.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
i found out today that the main reason that the ladie at the top cares so much is that some poeple park in her diveway and some biker actully attacked her. i know it sounds crazy but it is true.

Just thought that some people might want to know that

bikermom

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
I actually had a runin with somebody up there and they called the sheriff. I went home and waited for them (after calling the sheriff and telling them where I would be) because I wanted to get this straight from the sheriff. I was informaed that all the roads are public and that FL has no right to tell anybody wether or not they can pass on these roads. "FL is not a private gated community and I wish they would get it." (Or something like that. Can't remember exact words.) But he did say there is a good chance that you could get your car towed for parking up there. He wouldn't risk it. He also said that UCSC is probably in the process of making biking illegal on the fire roads because of all the damage being done with the illegal trails. Just lovely! But most of those trails are in Henry Cowell not UCSC, so we'll see what happens.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
bikermom said:
He also said that UCSC is probably in the process of making biking illegal on the fire roads because of all the damage being done with the illegal trails.
You know what's funny about that? UCSC is trying to "protect" the land from mountain bikes, but has anybody ever seen the fireroads when it rains compared to the actual trails? They are a complete mess for weeks and while the trails are dry as a bone!!! (slight exaggeration, but you KNOW what I mean.) That's a bunch of hooey about the trails wrecking everything, fireroads do so much more errosion than the trails it's ridiculous. The trails don't need to be re-graveled every year, the trails don't get 1/2 foot deep ruts in them all over the place. What's the deal?

That being said, what are they trying to "protect" anyway, the previously clear-cut forest?!?!! I once heard that they were trying to stop silt from running into the San Lorenzo river. Has anybody else heard that? Like, uhh, the neihborhood of houses right next to the trails are cool for silt, but the Mtnbike trails are absolutely RUINING IT! (I'm not against the houses mind you, it's more about how silly UCSC is being about this.)

Let the intarweb speculation begin:
I think they just don't want the liabilty of having people on the property doing stunts and breaking thier backs. (Remeber that kid who broke his back on the old shore trail?) Obviously that is a pretty good reason to not want people up their but they also know that 99.999% of the riders are not THAT stupid/clumsy/hamhanded and it's not really a good excuse to kick people out.
I know that there is an entire section of the Bicycle industry BASED on these trails. Like, if you call up a certain mountin bike company based here and ask them what would be the perfect bike for UCSC, based on your riding style, they could prolly give you a choice from 3 different models that were PRIMARILY tested on those trails. I know that I've run into at least 6! prototype bikes from various manufacturers up there.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that in reality, those trails have been there for quite a while, and are pretty well established. I know that if it was "OK" with the UC I would put in a much bigger effort to keep them maintained and help prevent errosion in a way that doesn't exclude bikes. Why do they h8 us so much? They never have had a satifactory answer to that question....

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
El_Chimichanga said:
That's a bunch of hooey about the trails wrecking everything, fireroads do so much more errosion than the trails it's ridiculous.
if what you ment when you said that the fireroads do more errosion then the trails do. if you were talking about bikes causing errosion then that might be the reason that they are thinking about closing it to bikers

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
bikermom said:
I was just reminded of something by Harry Callahan that it might be better not to disclose this to everyone. So it is probably a good idea to go through and delete all posatings that refer to where this is. I have already gotten a ticket for riding mailboxes and that was 200.00. If thee rangers get involved we will all be wishing we kept our mouths shut. So maybe everyone else should delete anything signifying where we are talking about. If anybody needs a link to that website I posdted earlier just PM me and I'll tell ya.

LET'S TRY TO KEEP THIS TRAIL AND SURROUNDING AREA FOR LOCALS ONLY.

Just a thought.

I don't think anyone has said enough to get other people out there. I've shuttled, myself, out there and am a lil' confused on the area, so, if I've been there & I'm not sure what you're talkin' about, then someone not familiar with the area will be cluess. Just my worthless opinion, though.

I hope I count as a local, after riding there for about 3 yrs, I would really hate not checkin' out sweetness or dead campers ever again...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
What I find the most funny about the whole trail network in UC is that due to the lack of regulations (inherent to illegal trails) we now have a spiderweb of trails that criss-cross each other and about 80% of them are virtually useless due to the fact that they either mirror a nearby trail or basically go from the same point-A to the same point-B as a different trail. If they were legal and regulated there would be a handful of trails that served a specific purpose and they would be much more maintainable in the long-term (eco-friendly).

I really don't think UC cares much either way, even if they make the fire roads illegal, do they think (or care for that matter) that will stop the bikers? UC makes a law to limit liability and then pretty much turns their back (much like the handrails at the beach cliffs that warn of a huge fine for going over the rail, yet people do it all day in front of rangers and police w/o any fines). The singletrack's have all been illegal for years and look how they thrive. They make the laws that they can't (or won't) enforce to satisfy the squeaky wheels ("greenies") that won't stop bitching about how bad the bikes are for the environment. Fact is the bikes do no more damage than a hiker or a horse (probably less than a horse) but we don't bitch and moan enough to be heard.

The real problem lies within the bureaucracy of govt. The reason the singletrack trails in Wilder were closed was to protect a particular species of frog and trout, specifically at creek crossings. Seems to me a few simple bridges could have taken care of that and I'm sure many MTB'ers would have stepped up with both time and money if they knew it meant losing the trails forever. Those were some of the most fun trails. I was really bummed to move back to the area and find them all closed. I soon learned that everybody rides them anyway. With one on-duty ranger patrolling all of Wilder it's hard to get caught (same basic story for UC).

Before I moved here last Jan. I lived in Santa Barbara for 3 years, down there there's a group called SBMTV (Santa Barbara Mountain Bike Trail Volunteers). They have a good number of prominent and respected individuals who donate money (however much or little they can), show up at public meetings, act as advocates/ambassadors every time they ride and do everything they can to keep the trails open. They have done a great job in the face of serious opposition (Sierra Club and Montecito Trails, both of whom have way more money and less-honorable tactics than SBMTV), there is only one major trail (Rattlesnake Cyn.) that is off-limits to bikes and you can actually take your dog w/you on all the trails. Of course a few guys still ride Rattlesnake but if it's known, they will be self-policed by more respectful riders (ie: spoken to sternly but not fined or incarcerated, the lack of their fellow riders respect usually takes care of the problem). Santa Cruz needs to step up and start making it known that we are not willing to loose privileges but in fact that we demand more access and more legal trails.

SC as a city needs to offer something for bikers looking to "freeride". We have two skateparks but nothing for bikes, not even a BMX track. Aptos is stepping up why can't we? Why, because hardly anyone is making their voice heard. MTB'ing & Freeriding aren't going anywhere so the sooner we can work together with environmentalists and govt. agencies towards a common goal, the better.

The environment here lends itself to killer riding (north shore-esque) and it's a shame that we are losing the battle for lack of organization not for lack of numbers...

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
you make really good point sean, but it is a little long (it is the longest thing i have read in about 3 years, no-joke), but if you ask me everybody on this site including me doesnt do anything about it we just sit here and b***h about it. all of us including me need to take it up with the county

Raacerx

Monkey
To be honest, Im perfectly content and happy with the current situation. If I cant shuttle in 5 minutes up Tollhouse, then fine, I'll walk up the trails or shuttle the long way. Its really not that big of a deal and its made me get more excersise for sure. I think that we have a good thing going, what with the trails being illegal but there being no one to enforce it. Ive never been messed with by anyone, ranging from hikers to rangers and personally I love the large amount of mindless singletrack everywhere. It may not be eco friendly and many of the small short singletracks are indeed usless and dumb, but it allows for me to ride something new almost any day. Its also good to note that many of these small dumb and useless singletracks were not made by bikes at all. The entire UC land and Wilder Ranch is spiderwebbed by hundreds of foot trails, most of which are not made by bikers.

Im scared that if we make our voices too loud, that we might jeapordize the current situation. I dont think the trails should be locals only or something dumb like that. The trails are not over crowded (far from it; Im there almost every single day and I see about 2-3 riders over the course of a couple hours) and we ride in peace. Lets just keep it that way. If people want to try to shuttle Tollhouse, let them learn the hardway that it is no longer is a viable route.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I see your perspective Max, it's definitely debatable. Have you seen MC in the past few days? :drool: :drool: :drool:

I just got my TALAS back from Fox today so I'm ready to get back out there. I was planning on going to the Rampage but I think I'm gonna save the expenses and just hang out here and hopefully ride this weekend. Are you going to be around???

BTW: I am driving my truck out to Off-Road Solutions in CO on Jan 1st to get a 3-linked coil-over, custom Toy axle up front and a full cage! I think we will design it around 35's but maybe to accommodate 37's... :love:

bikermom

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
By locals only, I meant not to "advertise" this area. If you have never been hasseled by anybody on the trails then I guess you have been very lucky. We have been stopped at the bottom of trails(hwy 9) by rangers and sheriff but they couldn't prove we were on the trails but they knew it. We have also been ticketed on Mailboxes and that was $200.00. I have also know of another person who had their front tire taken and ticketed on magic carpet. they got their tire back when they went to the rangers station.
There is also a guy on Scenic (the house across from the newly built on with all the pipes and junk out front) who is determined to get these trails closed to bikers because we are "destroying the forest" but his garbage in his yard isn't? He is the one we had the confrontation with the sheriff. He has promised to contact everyone around and get that area patrolled better.
This is my reason for trying to keep the area for "locals" meaning us in Santa Cruz area. I'm not trying to be a b@#$% just keep someplace for us to ride without having to sweat getting $200.00 tickets. I'd rather by parts than give it to some ranger in the form of a bonus for writing the most tickets.

Just my thoughts.

Raacerx

Monkey
punkassean said:
I see your perspective Max, it's definitely debatable. Have you seen MC in the past few days? :drool: :drool: :drool:

I just got my TALAS back from Fox today so I'm ready to get back out there. I was planning on going to the Rampage but I think I'm gonna save the expenses and just hang out here and hopefully ride this weekend. Are you going to be around???

BTW: I am driving my truck out to Off-Road Solutions in CO on Jan 1st to get a 3-linked coil-over, custom Toy axle up front and a full cage! I think we will design it around 35's but maybe to accommodate 37's... :love:
I have not checked out MC yet, although if Eric likes it Im sure its tits. I will be around some parts of the weekend, although Im trying to get up the Bay to ship out my old Ford 8.8 axle to a buddy. Im gonna head out there today and tomorrow, possibly Saturday, forsure on Halloween.

Oh and Sean, Im selling the Jeep. I decided I just do not have the will power or funds to keep it going. Im going to trade someone for a stock grand cherokee and a '83 Yota thats already on 35s. As for your yota, sounds knarly!!! Maybe we could caravan out there because my friend who wants to trade is in Boulder and I would need to drive my rig out and drive both rigs back.

PS. Sean, PM me your phone number. I lost my phone and all my numbers.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I just got back from riding up from 1 through Wilder and over into UC. I dropped MC down to S&T and climbed back up. I wanted to go down MB to see what's going on over there but I saw the new signs and fixed fence so I just took Fenceline down (and nearly died from a few fallen trees!). Has anyone gone over to MB in the last while? If so what's up?

The trails are sooo nice right now!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Glad to hear MB is aiight (more or less). Where off of MC does this jump trail split??? Now you got me all excited!

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
punkassean said:
Glad to hear MB is aiight (more or less). Where off of MC does this jump trail split??? Now you got me all excited!
Z's trail...I'll show you where next weekend iffin you like, seeing as I will only be doing night rides during the week from now on.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Dood you know I gotz two HID niteriders biaatch! I'll be out of town all week but I'm down for night rides there after...

I'm heading out to UC tomorrow to ride could you PM me some more info...

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
the trail that Jestere is talking about was bulit by a friend of mine, and Jestere(matt) doesnt know this but he trys to keep it a secret. If i see any of you out there i will show you but i can tell you guys were it is. sorry but matt didnt know this

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
What's funny is I was just there yesterday afternoon, I would have found it any day now anyhow...

But I appreciate what Jim is trying to do by "protecting" it, especially on the web.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Global Positioning System. It tells you where you are/something is within 10' anywhere in the world. It was a joke... With the GPS coordinates, anyone could easily find it.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
that is pretty crazy. i have heard about GPS before but i didnt know what you were talking about at the time. have you done the 3 jump on the trail, i have done the rest except that one since they rebulit. i am thinking about it thought

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I use GPS to make sure the truck drivers I manage don't go places there not suppose to, and try to sell our products on the Black Market! .......... its actually pretty helpful. I can watch over them from online all day long. It actually kind of freaked me out at first.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
were is bear vally i dont know because if there is any good biking up there i might want to go. and are you talking about the cliff jumps

i know you were joking about going there, you were just geting the point across that they are rich. you know he didnt even have to pay for his bike

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
i did the trail today and they bulit a new double and they maded the step up into a normal double too. they made the landing smaller but, i think it is to step of a landing for the size of the jump