Quantcast

sick of ie - I'm downloading firefox or opera!

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Back when I used Opera, if I wanted a free version I had to be willing to be served ads. I wasn't, so I stopped using it. Is that still the case?

I used Firefox exclusively now. A downside would be that on one site in particular that I like to use for bike parts, the online shopping cart and their bulletin board don't play well.

Buy a Mac and use Safari! :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Firefox is the best browser technology wise, but it doesn't yet have a plugin to match opera's saved session which keeps me from switching. A saved session features is awesome. Let say you are viewing 5-6 of your favorite sites but for whatever reason have to close the program or shut down the computer. The next time you open opera, you can continue your session from where you left off on the same exact pages. Opera also has tabbed browsing with a windows like taskbar running the top or bottom (you can customize the position of anything in the program) of your window where you can see the titles of the pages you are looking at so you can quickly switch from one window to the other plus it keeps it all in one pane in the windows taskbar so you don't clog up your taskbar with dozens of windows.

I really hope someone makes a save session feature for firefox, but until then I use opera as my primary browser, it saves me a lot of time.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
syadasti said:
Opera also has tabbed browsing with a windows like taskbar running the top or bottom (you can customize the position of anything in the program) of your window where you can see the titles of the pages you are looking at so you can quickly switch from one window to the other plus it keeps it all in one pane in the windows taskbar so you don't clog up your taskbar with dozens of windows.
yea, Firefox has tabbed browsing as well, just not customizable as to where you want the tabs..yea.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
manziman said:
yea, Firefox has tabbed browsing as well, just not customizable as to where you want the tabs..yea.
Yes, I said I'll switch when saved session plugins come along - that feature saves a lot time vs. just saving taskbar real estate...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i put Firefox on g/f's computer and she's not liking it at all. it's not working with one of her class's website, nor does it like opening pdf files. i'm having no issues on my computer with it, so i don't know what the deal is.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the Inbred said:
i put Firefox on g/f's computer and she's not liking it at all. it's not working with one of her class's website, nor does it like opening pdf files. i'm having no issues on my computer with it, so i don't know what the deal is.
I open PDF files in mine so that's an issue with your girlfriend's computer. As for the website.. I don't know, but I've never run across a website I couldn't open.

I like Firefox a lot, but haven't used Opera since way back at it's first inception so I can't really comment on current performance. However, since they're both free, just download them both and keep the one you like better!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ciaran said:
You'll love Opera even better.
Yeah, I still prefer Opera the most - good tabbed browsing interface and the saved session feature is key to making the most of your time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
really? what about it do you like better than IE? i've only kinda played around w/ firefox but i didn't see any great advantages.
You didn't use the tabbed browsing, didja? That tabbed browsing kicks a$$.

I like Opera too, it's just a bit more fickle WRT websites than firefox.

In fact, I'm using Opera 7.54 right this second. :D

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
really? what about it do you like better than IE? i've only kinda played around w/ firefox but i didn't see any great advantages.
Tabbed browsing, as was stated, is awesome. Also, the add-ins for Firefox are very useful - there are a million and one little utilities that you can install.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Hmmmm........ I don't have any of the add-ins. What do they have?

-S.S.-
Too many to list. Go to the website.

There's a ton of browsing customizations - things to tweak what you can do with tabs, buttons, mouse motions, etc. There's spell-check for any text box. There's email notifiers... Just tons of stuff.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Gee, thanks.
:D

-S.S.-
What, I should simply support your laziness that extends to not even being able to visit the Firefox website to obtain a list of plugins?

"Dude, I've got a Playstation 2. What kind of games do they have?"

:p

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
narlus said:
-Tabbed browsing
-Zero pop-ups / pop-unders. EVER.
-Mouse gestures
-Adblock
-I can add my most often used bookmarks / favorites on the toolbar above the browser window.
-It's setup so that your custom settings and bookmarks are stored in a separate folder so when you delete / uninstall the old version and upgrade the browser, they are retained.
-Customization you will never see with IE

Give it some more time, or try Opera. They are both hands down better than IE. :blah:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I recently installed firefox and during the install it somehow fixed my registry so I didn't get an annoying system glitch when windows checked for updates, but generally I found that firefox was considerably slower than IE over my dial up connection and my wife complained that the steps for listing an auction were less friendly than using IE for some reason. I blame that on Ebay though not the browser they change things alot and change them back before anyone notices. I didn't try tweaking the settings to make it faster just yet and I may not. From what I could tell most dial up users have the same problem and the tweaks don't help as much, along with some reports of swamping the physical memory and not clearing out when the window is closed. I don't think tabbed browsing is all that special I can do the same thing in IE by opening multiple windows and alt+tab to switch between them, having multiple tabs seemed to make firefox that much slower for some reason. Then again I didn't use the tabs that extensively.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Dude, don't even think about IE. Do you really want to promote the richest man in the world right now. I think you should encourage a company promoting a very good browser under MAC OSX; cause that's what you are using right??!!??!

Anyhell Mac rules PC SUCKS

peace

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
i tend to alt-tab via multiple IE windows too, so i guess i too question how tabbed browsing makes my life better?
Well, you can control-tab between the tabs so you don't lose that functionality, but I tend to have many items open on my screen, and I'm also the type of person who opens every new link in a new window, so for me, IE gets out of control with 10 IE windows open, plus email, plus IM, plus whatever programs I'm running at the time.

Wow, that was quite a long sentence.

The tabbed browsing keeps everything nice and clean.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i found the ctrl-page up/down feature to be able to toggle between tabs (using a mouse to do this is a pain), but is there a way to make a new window or tab open when you use the google box? you can do this w/ IE but i couldn't find a way to do this w/ firefox.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
narlus said:
i found the ctrl-page up/down feature to be able to toggle between tabs (using a mouse to do this is a pain), but is there a way to make a new window or tab open when you use the google box? you can do this w/ IE but i couldn't find a way to do this w/ firefox.
Don't know about opening the search in a new window, but you can also switch tabs using Ctrl-Tab.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Main reason I like the tabbed browsing is when I am developing or multi-tasking (almost all the time) and have other software applications open, if I need a few instances of a page or different sites up i can have them but it only takes up one item on the task bar leaving room for the other software without driving me nuts for being too cluttered. I can't stand a cluttered task bar... get that AIM open along with several IE pages and a few software apps and all hell breaks loose...

I love FireFox and will continue to use it!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
narlus said:
As a developer, I can assure you that firefox paid attention in layout class. IE failed miserably.

Also tabbed brosing, and extension make firefox the cat's meow. It also isn't loaded with IE's security holes. IE can kiss my ass, long live firefox.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ZoRo said:
Dude, don't even think about IE. Do you really want to promote the richest man in the world right now. I think you should encourage a company promoting a very good browser under MAC OSX; cause that's what you are using right??!!??!

Anyhell Mac rules PC SUCKS

peace
wow, so you drop to flat and promote an OS without any supporting evidence. We have ourselves a live one here. :rolleyes:

Just to point out, safari is about the worst browser ever created. (see IO can do it too). I however, will include evidence: bad page layout, incomprehensible error codes, bizarre crashes, trouble reading CSS etc