Quantcast

Side Load Anyone

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
And I thought a DH bike could handle some harsh side loads...

This is a video of some hairy Boeing test landings. This clip shows them testing "crosswind" landing limits on the 777 and the 747SP.
They perform these tests at a certain remote Brazilian Air Force base that’s famous for its exceptionally strong, "crosswinds”.

I would have never believed that the landing gear of these large planes could take such extreme side loads… wild stuff!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2498234148335857479&q=747+crosswind+landings&pl=true

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Bad ass......that 777 (the very first one), after essentially sitting on concrete blocks for a few years, was eventually repainted sold to an asian carrier....I'd like to see video of the tail skid tests too......

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Thats pretty cool there!

Funny you should post this today, just last night I was talking with one of my friends who flies a lot, and that happened to him on Wednesday. He said coming into a runway sideways is incredibly scary!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I remember flying out from Kansai airport near Osaka on a particularly windy day a few years back. We were waiting just short of the runway and I watched this China Airlines plane come crabbing in like that. Just about shat blue lights as at first glance he appeared to be coming straight for us. At the last minute he straightened up. Must have been trippy for the people on that flight being able to see the runway as they came into land.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm with Burly on the music.

How does the gear operate during a sideways landing? Do the rear wheels pivot, and then drop the nose gear?