Quantcast

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
If you run tubeless (and you should DEFINITELY be running tubeless, get with the program, McFly!) then you should always have these Bad Larry's in your tool kit. These little bastards have saved my bacon more than once on the trail... including a 3/4" long sidewall tear near the bead on my rear tire some 10ish miles from the end of a 30 mile ride. We "wove" the little tire plug in and out of the tear and then coated it with Super Glue (which you should ALSO have in your pack) and KAPLOW the fugger held.

Genuine Innovations Side of Bacon for Tubeless Tire Repair: 20 Pack

That said, you'll want to get one of the 5-pack Genuine Innovations UST Tubeless Plug Patch Kit that include the little tool to insert it into your tire before getting the 20-piece Side of Bacon above.

You're welcome.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
How long have you been riding with the sidewall plug in? I have a tear in my front tire by the bead that I'd love to seal up and go back to tubeless. The only worry is it only has 400 or so miles on it, so I need something that will last me for a bit.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Another good sidewall patch material to use are those plastic credit card solicitations you get in the mail. They're thin, flexible, tear resistant and best of all free. Hold in place with the duck tape that you have wrapped around your pump handle. You do have duck tape packed this way, yes ?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just put a tube in it, "which you should ALSO have in your pack".
b.b.b.but I ride enduro?! no pack to put a tube in?!

I saw these a while back at the auto repair shop (Canadian Tire for those here in Canuckistan). Are these the same as the car ones? would the car ones work in bike tires?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

I saw these a while back at the auto repair shop (Canadian Tire for those here in Canuckistan). Are these the same as the car ones? would the car ones work in bike tires?
How do you enduro without a pack ? I thought that wearing one was mandatory along with goggles on an xc helmet.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Another good sidewall patch material to use are those plastic credit card solicitations you get in the mail. They're thin, flexible, tear resistant and best of all free. Hold in place with the duck tape that you have wrapped around your pump handle. You do have duck tape packed this way, yes ?
$1. Have also used a Kind bar wrapper to patch sidewall tear.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
How long have you been riding with the sidewall plug in? I have a tear in my front tire by the bead that I'd love to seal up and go back to tubeless. The only worry is it only has 400 or so miles on it, so I need something that will last me for a bit.
That particular fix was temporary, it lasted me the rest of the ride and then it required something more substantial. When that is needed, I usually go with an internal auto tire patch glued in place. I've had really good luck with that, when the puncture is big. For normal small to medium punctures these plugs have lasted the rest of the life of the tire, often several hundred miles.

Just put a tube in it, "which you should ALSO have in your pack".
No.

And by "No." I mean I don't want to put a tube in it... my propensity to pinch flat tubes is unsurpassed. Plus, these little plug dealies are actually faster than putting a tube in it, and as mentioned above I've worn tires out with these plugs in them.

Will these work for an anal fistula?

Asking for a friend.
Yes. At least that's what @stoney has told me.
Not sure if they're the same... these are impregnated with some sort of gummy stuff that I am told is meant to soak up the sealant you have in your bike tires and really create a solid seal.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
No.

And by "No." I mean I don't want to put a tube in it... my propensity to pinch flat tubes is unsurpassed. Plus, these little plug dealies are actually faster than putting a tube in it, and as mentioned above I've worn tires out with these plugs in them.
Ok, that makes sense. But it's still a good idea to carry a tube. Besides, a spare tube is dual purpose, you can also use it as a sling/harness to secure a broken collar bone.

I'm still new to running tubeless Only running tubeless in the front since I dented the rear. Really need to get my wheel rebuilt. Sucks cuz it's an I9 and it was only three months old when my dumb-ass sent it off a bridge and cased a root. Also was probably running too low pressure.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

The Crappy Tire ones look a lot thicker than these. And aren't bacon, so....

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Now if you're looking for a truly frustrating and terrifying tire experience, thenI highly recommend a set Kenda Small Block Eights. Make sure to run at lest 45psi. and ride at night on leaf covered old school singletrack. Or any trail really...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What the deuce???!!! My Bacon thread got moved? To "The Shop" even? WTH forum is this? Never seen it before... I'm told to blame @johnbryanpeters...

Ok, that makes sense. But it's still a good idea to carry a tube. Besides, a spare tube is dual purpose, you can also use it as a sling/harness to secure a broken collar bone.
I do actually always carry a tube as well, usually two of them. And a SAM splint on real big rides where I'm way the hell out in the middle of nowhere.

Somewhere around these parts there's a thread RE: what to pack in your pack for long rides...

What the deuce???!!! My Bacon thread got moved? To "The Shop" even? WTH forum is this? Never seen it before... I'm told to blame @johnbryanpeters...

I do actually always carry a tube as well, usually two of them. And a SAM splint on real big rides where I'm way the hell out in the middle of nowhere.

Somewhere around these parts there's a thread RE: what to pack in your pack for long rides...
You committed the cardinal sin of posting something useful, so I moved it. I await my beer.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What's the secret to stop the bacon strips getting dragged out of the tyre by the terrain?

I had that one above on wife's rear tyre trimmed to the height of the nobbies. It dragged out once on last nights ride and I managed to poke it back in, second time it was missing and I had to use a new strip.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
There are a couple of bacon strip kits out there which include some gummy rubber cement. I have one of those and usually throw a substantial amount of it on the freshly cut insert before going back to riding. Then if the cut is too big I'd take the tire out and put a patch on the inside when doing the post ride wash/maintenance.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Haven't had that problem too bad, I have had a few that didn't take at first because I didn't have a good lock on them first and didn't push them down far enough. Then it seems the key is to clip the excess (kind of need some kind of blade to do this though). It's probably the gummy shit in the bacon, once dirt and terrain wash that it it's just fibers and they don't grip, but the gummy shit probably tends to drag it out at first.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Got to use this the other day. It was super convenient to inflate straight through the hole in the tire. I'm sold on it.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Got to use this the other day. It was super convenient to inflate straight through the hole in the tire. I'm sold on it.

That looks great! I want one.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What's the secret to stop the bacon strips getting dragged out of the tyre by the terrain?

I had that one above on wife's rear tyre trimmed to the height of the nobbies. It dragged out once on last nights ride and I managed to poke it back in, second time it was missing and I had to use a new strip.
When I insert the bacons, I fold them in half over the little prong inserter thingy and twist back and forth on the way in and out. I try to make the bacon on the side of the tire twist up into a little knot, so it doesn't walk itself out. So far, I've never had one work it's way out of the tire.