Quantcast

sideways bike

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
ummm.. weird. looks fun, but completly pointless.

http://www.sidewaysbike.com/

SidewaysBike
(Not Your Father's Bicycle)
Human balance is detected in the inner ear. There are three semi-circular canals positioned at right angles to each other that detect balance in three axes. These canals are separate and distinct. The three types of balance are Left to Right, Front to Back and Rotational (Yaw). Left to Right balance is what people are most familiar with and is the primary balance used for riding a regular bicycle or indeed flying a plane. In the case of flying a plane there is a visual supplement to left to right balance provided by the observation of the horizon line. Front to Back balance has very little visual input and is the primary balance used in riding a surfboard, windsurfer and snowboard. Front to Back balance is a finer instrument than Left to Right balance and offers a greater degree of artistic feedback. This is evidenced by the difference between skiing and snowboarding. Skiing (Left to Right balance) is faster than Snowboarding (Front to Back balance); however people like to snowboard because of the greater artistic expression. Introducing a new bicycle invention by myself, Michael Killian. This bicycle is ridden sideways and is balanced by using human Front to Back balance. This bicycle uses Front and Rear steering. Click on the images below to get full size pictures.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hmmm, I need one for the next bike happening in SLO. That is the coolest thing ever posted on RideFawnkey. Good job.

p.s. why were you looking for sideways bikes?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
d'oh... i even did a search to make sure it wasn't old news. the inventor was quoted in an article about the British Invention Show on Reuters:

""The beauty of this is that it has absolutely no purpose except fun," he said with a broad smile."