Quantcast

Sierra Club.... who's a member?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Damn whiney asses second home owners!!!!!! I hate those guys!!!!!:twitch::twitch:
Yeah but you're not suing the TRPA for something they never did.

BIG difference.

I only bring it up because anyone who actually lives here knows exactly how to handle clearing your property. These people......the ones propagating what you 'heard' didn't bother to find out, and now blame someone else for their slack.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
There's a lot of specifically "western US" issues there (and granted that's where most public land is) with regard to forest management, and you would know better than I what specifically needs to apply, but Im just defending in general, the idea of this group lobbying to further protect these wild lands. As far as Im concerned, Mt. Biking really isn't even on the radar when it comes to things like that. If indeed fire hazard and trail closures are as serious an issue as you say, then there's a legitimate issue to be had, but not enough of one that Im willing to undo the implied permanence of a wilderness designation that these guys helped create. Im really not as concerned about the access problems of horses or the disabled as I am about preserving what few patches of nature we have left either.

i don't think any legitimate user group, including motorized are advocating for "undoing" or repealing Wilderness that currently exists. So let's take that tangent off the table. It's an impossibility unless the government turns Communist or something...

My contention is that Wilderness is now adapting to a new level in that, it's being pushed for areas that were never intended to be applicable. And with the latest Wild Sky Wilderness that was created that's a pretty good example. The facts are that most environmentalists would like nothing more than to make ALL of the federal forest land Wilderness.

Most people don't know or are informed enough to understand. The Sierra Club among other environmentalists are extremely crafty in pushing their agendas. But i contend it's going too far now.

Me personally i will fight for access for mountain bikes, mainly because you have to prove to me...

1. Mountain biking and recreational activities is a detrimental impact to the environment.

2. That by disagreeing and not supporting Sierra Club i am not caring for the environment.

Nope and nope...

Should we give Sierra Club credit for mobilizing volunteers to protect the environment on how they see fit.

Sure.

But don't give them credit for being the end all solution to protect our forests and wildlands. They certainly use their name and reputation to garner support from people in the from of a blank check, since many are not totally up to speed on the validity of their claims and unaware of how extreme their agenda is in some respects. But the same can be said for Schwinn bikes, and not too many people who ride are sporting those around these days, and for good reason.

And from this i hope to tie into your last point.

From what I gather in this thread, most people dont like the Sierra club because cyclists are excluded from wilderness designated areas at the Sierra Club's advice... I just think that's a pretty trivial reason to denounce something so potentially important.
Maybe so, but i contend it's also a trivial reason to think that if you send your support to Sierra Club and take their word that they are doing right by you, is pretty ignorant in and of itself.

If anything the fact that mountain biking or any other outdoor recreation give people more cause to learn more about environmental issues, to me, that's not trivial at all. Everybody has a stake in these public lands.

Maybe if there wasn't so much exaggeration, misinformation, provided by these groups and in many cases if they were just a little open minded, they would be more successful in accomplishing their goals.

Nature is tougher than many people give it credit for, but it still would be nice for people to examine pursue and explore facts and come to their own conclusions. If indeed people get more involved, it's inevitable that eventually all the knuckleheads will obtain a better grasp at their impact and appreciation for the planet. In my opinion this truly grows when you are afforded that opportunity. And in turn as diverse recreational opportunities are better embraced, advocacy can then turn it's focus more on education to numbskulls like DrtMcgrt, instead of focusing on losing access.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A little late to this thread but you could not possibly be more wrong.

The sierra club had NOTHING to do with people not clearing deadfall or low hanging foliage from their yards.

Lazy ass second homeowners who couldn't be bothered to contact the fire department and get a consultation had everything to do with it. I know this because I DID have someone from the fire department come by and make reccomendations two years ago. Don't believe the hype just because somebody wants someone to blame. Everyone pointing fingers at the TRPA is full of it.
TRPA is also not a grey topic.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon

They will never see them because they will be so shut down,they will be stuck at some keosk and watch a video on what it looks like inside :plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown:
sierra club is bad ,let use our earth properly not all locked up JMHO

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
ok. so i have stayed out of this until now.
but here goes.

i work at the trpa. i have to hear all of the ignorant hear says on a day to day basis.
my neighbor tried to tell me that, 'trpa is going to sue me if i rake up my pine needles'.

recently i was trying to purchase some environmentally snowboard wax. the guy at the shop said, 'environmentally friendly wax is just trpa propaganda'.
what?
trpa doesn't give a s**t what wax you use. the are also not going to sue you if you rake up your pine needles. they will however sue homeowners who go out and cut a bunch of big ol healthy trees because you want to improve your lake view.

who starts these b.s. rumors? crazy townies? second home owners who are too ignorant to actually find out what the real rules and recommendations are? i dunno, but it's silly and ignorant.

if you have a property that you want inspected for defensible space... call the fire district. THEY will come out and do an inspection and they will also approve any trees that should be removed.

I have a lot more I could say... but I'll leave it at that.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
They will never see them because they will be so shut down,they will be stuck at some keosk and watch a video on what it looks like inside :plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown:
Your foresight ends at your nose huh?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
As your oversized gut would demonstrate.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yeah Yeah ,I just gave my opinion and we all know about opinions :shocked:
Not that i'm completely in league with your message, you should feel good in the knowledge that offering up insults is the lowest tactic in debating, and a good indicator of a losing argument.

i'm sure Blue and Boydude realize this deep inside. i think they're mad that you're going to go kill some moss, so lighten up with your moss killing, and maybe they'll let you into their good graces.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Not that i'm completely in league with your message, you should feel good in the knowledge that offering up insults is the lowest tactic in debating, and a good indicator of a losing argument.

i'm sure Blue and Boydude realize this deep inside. i think they're mad that you're going to go kill some moss, so lighten up with your moss killing, and maybe they'll let you into their good graces.
Hey thank you and I do kill moss ,and I get alot of it at my house ,I hate that stuff ,hey this weekend I`am going to go and kill a deer ,if I can find one ,

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sorry to interfere with a quality derailment.

But observing this thread, it's obvious that in viewing mountain bikers as a community, we are diverse as hell. You can't pigeon hole us into any one particular basic shape.

Disagreements aside i think it's great and makes us as a community interesting.

i hope mountain bikers use this as a strength and not a detriment. It's easy to think that other people are stupid, igorant, and don't know what they're talking about, but unless you're riding a 29er, that's just not true.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
that's how i get off. burning down people's houses. it's awesome being as powerful as i am.

also, i totally love destroying low income housing.

I RULE!!!!!
You must have gotten the panic button wired to the bottom of your desk...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise

It's not an insult per say... I just think he point of view is very short sided and it was just kind of a tongue in cheek way to respond..

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
It's not an insult per say... I just think he point of view is very short sided and it was just kind of a tongue in cheek way to respond..
Well that's fine, just understand that i have some moss in my backyard and i have moss killer. You insult anyone again, and the moss get's it....:brow: