Quantcast

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Why is this stuff so good? Is it the hops they use? The barley? I take a sip and I'm all like "God damn, why does this taste so good!?"

It is a serious question though. I've had a lot of IPA's and this one is right up there at or near the top of the list. I don't know what different ingredients are used that gives this its unique flavor. It's a seasonal beer, so I'll have to be sure to grab a 12 pack or two before the season ends.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/celebrationale.html

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had the same reaction when I first drank it. Several 12 packs later it doesn't seem quite as spectacular but still damn good. I don't see much reason for it to be a seasonal beer.

I think what makes it a little different from most IPAs is that they use some darker malts.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Why is this stuff so good? Is it the hops they use? The barley? I take a sip and I'm all like "God damn, why does this taste so good!?"

It is a serious question though. I've had a lot of IPA's and this one is right up there at or near the top of the list. I don't know what different ingredients are used that gives this its unique flavor. It's a seasonal beer, so I'll have to be sure to grab a 12 pack or two before the season ends.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/celebrationale.html

I have been wanting to try this. So you like it, eh?

Would you suggest it to someone who is not a hop head?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have been wanting to try this. So you like it, eh?

Would you suggest it to someone who is not a hop head?
I like it indeed.

It doesn't have that real hoppy bite that a lot of IPA's have, but it is still an IPA and the hoppiness is there. The way I see it, any beer is worth trying once.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
This is definitely a favorite of mine. I'm going to need to pick up a 12'er before they disappear again for the year.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I like it indeed.

It doesn't have that real hoppy bite that a lot of IPA's have, but it is still an IPA and the hoppiness is there. The way I see it, any beer is worth trying once.
but I have opnly seen it in a 12er & tha is too much of a commitment for me.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I only have about 70 left...time to start rationing.

I also wish it wasn't a seasonal. They could just stop brewing SNPA and do the Celebration and I'd be happy.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm guessing it's the dry-hopping. The addition of hops to the fermenter when fermentation is nearly finished infuses the beer with a hop flavor and aroma you just can't get any other way. I've been putting hops into tanks of Nugget Nectar lately and it's a fairly labor-intensive process which may be why they save it for their seasonal releases.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
alcohol content 6.8% by volume -- that's probably why it tastes so good.

I've heard that bigfoot (alcohol content 9.6% by volume) gets smooth if you keep it for a year or more before consuming -- haven't managed the self-control for that yet...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
It's like they brewed it from the icy tears of winter angels...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm guessing it's the dry-hopping. The addition of hops to the fermenter when fermentation is nearly finished infuses the beer with a hop flavor and aroma you just can't get any other way. I've been putting hops into tanks of Nugget Nectar lately and it's a fairly labor-intensive process which may be why they save it for their seasonal releases.

So there is a lot of work involved in dry hopping, or a lot of work for you due to the large quantities? It's not just a matter of dumping hops into the fermenter? (fyi, wife bought me a "real" homebrew kit and I will get started in two weeks)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
So there is a lot of work involved in dry hopping, or a lot of work for you due to the large quantities? It's not just a matter of dumping hops into the fermenter? (fyi, wife bought me a "real" homebrew kit and I will get started in two weeks)
The fermenter is a sealed system so no air can get in once fermentation starts. For us to get the hops in we: clean and sanitize a second, smaller tank, purge it with C02, open the smaller tank while maintaining positive pressure with C02, dump in some hops, close the tank, allow beer from the fermenter to flood the small tank, recirculate the beer/hops through the small tank to really soak the hops (easier to pump), then pump the whole mess back in to the fermenter. Repeat until all the hops are in the tank. Repeat again for every tank of dry-hopped beer.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
No worries, last nights' run to the beer store yielded a growler and a 12 pack of Olde Saratoga/Mendecino Double IPA, a Growler of Celebration Ale, 12 pack Troegs HopBack and a couple of other large bottles of Troegs (Mad elf and Troegenator Double Bock), a large bottle of Le Fin du Monde, a 12 pack of Hibernator, a 4 pack sampler of Flying Dog and 2 4 packs of Dogfish Head (1 punkin and 1 90 minute IPA). I think we're okay for a little while. :cheers:

Last edited: