Quantcast

Sigh. Car problems.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So I am really hoping by the end of this rant someone says they went through the exact same thing and here is how to fix it...

So I drive this 1999 Chevy Tahoe that I bought from my father. About 2 years ago he got a brand new transmission put in it. This transmission (which was purchased from Rhino Engines and Transmissions) has a 3 year/75,000 mile warranty on it. Its been a little less than 2 years, and we have only put 45,000 miles on it since the new one was installed. So we are still well within the warranty. Well just a couple weeks ago, I was coming home from riding (temperature was about 45 degrees out) and I got home, parked the car and didn't drive anywhere the rest of the night. That night temperatures dropped to 18 degrees, the following morning it evened out at about 28. Went to go to work, and as the transmission was shifting into third gear, it didn't go into the gear, simply revved the RPM. The Ammco I took it to informed me that for some reason or another, I have no third gear. So they give me a quote to install a new transmission. So I figure, okay, 400 bucks to get a new one put in as long as I can get the warrantied transmission, that's all cool.

Both me and the transmission shop have been calling this completely horrible company for the past week, and neither of us can get anyone to pick up the phones, nor do we get a response from our messages. I have called about 15 times every single day. My messages went from being very polite and very understanding-to threatening to report them to the Better Business Bureau and make sure that their reputation is completely ruined.

The only option the Transmission shop had to offer was that they could get me a new transmission and install it for $2,300. Seeing as how I am a full-time student with only a part time job.. that is not an option.

I don't know. Guess I just wanted to rant, and hope that someone says Ohh here is what you do... :nopity:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
It sounds like your old man got shafted when he put that new tranny in. Google Rhino engones and read all the $hit people say about them.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Take a trip to the trans shop? If your father sold you the car the warranty may be void. It may be within the limits but you didn't own it when the work was done so they don't have to honor it.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well if cash is tight you could always check the junk yard etc... for a 4L80E (might be 4L60) not sure. I know that in chevy's it's pretty common for the trans to die, especially quick if it's lifted or larger tires with the wrong gear ratios.

I would say if no to a junk yard or even craigslist, new or rebuilt would be the only option. I know from summit racing you can get new ones delivered for less than $2300. It's a matter of installing it, which isn't the hardest thing in the world. Rebuilding the current unit to fix the 3rd gear should be cheaper than a new one.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

Sucks about the hassle, but a pulled one isn't too bad to put in. Or find a good local shop.

I bought a '94 Toyota truck from a local dealer 2 months ago as is. It failed DEQ because of an exhaust leak (or so I thought). A shop 2 blocks away is certified Toyota, so I took it to them. They installed the header I got off ebay, replaced the EGR valve, replace 2 fuel injectors that were stuck, gave it a valve adjustment, tune up, new plugs, cap and rotor.

Total bill was $305 for 6 hours labor and the tune up parts. The EGR and injectors they had in a box of stuff, so they just gave them to me. It would have cost me more that that to do it myself.

If you find a good shop, you could get it done for a lot less.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
My fathers 96 chevy started shifting funny. After a while we got a check engine light with an aiflow meter code and an occasional trans control code. I googled both codes and searched all the forums and all i could find was people saying replace the tranny control unit and the airflow meter.

Well after some more trouble shooting and driving around I noticed that the speedometer seemed to be off by a few MPH.

So I changed the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the tailshaft of the transfer case. (2wd will be on the tail of the tranny). It took about 5 minutes to change and $50 for the part. The truck now drives and shifts better than it has in a while.

GM used the speed sensor to control the shifting, the ABS, and control the engine ECU (almost like a crank sensor)

I would throw one in and see what happens

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Do you have any friends/coworkers/family that are lawyers? Get one to type up a small, 1-page letter on legal stationary informing them to pay up or face legal issues. You'll be contacted in no time.

Another trick is to use a different telephone number, they already know yours by heart. Use a friend's home phone number, or if possible something with a different area code. Call asking for Sales, and see how fast you get a callback as well.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for all the useful tips. Yea I am to the point where if I don't get a reply this week, I will make it my part-time job to tarnish their reputation as bad as I possibly can. As for the Honda comment... I have made a promise to myself that as a reward to me for getting my degree, I will treat myself to a brand new Scion xB. Found a company that deals with Rhino directly, going to call them tomorrow and try to get some info. Thanks monkeys :)

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
pull a timothy mcveigh in front of the place or a Ted Kaczynski THAT WILL SHOW THOSE SONS OF BITCHES. You won't have to worry about cars in prison either.

Last edited: