Quantcast

Sign this petition - stick it to the french!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If the Anglo girls were half as slutty as the French girls would we even be having this conversation. Where is my hash pipe? I'm bored with this.....

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Someone who speaks three languages = Trilingual

Someone who speaks two languages = Bilingual

Someone who speaks one language = American

Harden up and learn another language.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Jozz l'a bien affirmé, plusieurs autres provinces seraient peut-être très contentes de recevoir ta visite...

Québec is the only place where french has a real place in North Am, and before we become assimilated by the anglos, I say it's damn important for people that come here learn french. Plenty of other provinces if you don't want to learn french... Nobody is forcing to stay in the West Island ya know...

Just saying... I respect your point but completely disagree with it and think people coming should be "forced" to learn at least a bit of french.

And why would try to implicate americans or people from other provinces in an issue that's strickly provincial and greatly linked to the greater Montreal area??

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Jozz l'a bien affirmé, plusieurs autres provinces seraient peut-être très contentes de recevoir ta visite...

Québec is the only place where french has a real place in North Am, and before we become assimilated by the anglos, I say it's damn important for people that come here learn french. Plenty of other provinces if you don't want to learn french... Nobody is forcing to stay in the West Island ya know...

Just saying... I respect your point but completely disagree with it and think people coming should be "forced" to learn at least a bit of french.

And why would try to implicate americans or people from other provinces in an issue that's strickly provincial and greatly linked to the greater Montreal area??
Telling me to live elsewhere is not an answer. (as I said earlier, I've never gotten an answer to my rebuttal).

This is CANADA. English is an official language. I was born here. I should be allowed to operate in English when dealing with the government.

I went to school in French immersion from Kindergarten until grade 11. J'ai mon certificat d'Aptitude en Francais. I am able to "parlez-vous" pretty well. But you can't equate moving to Japan and not learning japanese, to being born Anglo in Quebec (again, a province of Canada) and being pissed that English is forbidden. Being able to converse in french at the Gap is VERY different than filling out legal paperwork in a different language. If you actually read what I'm saying, my only problem is not being able to converse with the government in English

The whole french/separatist/stamp out english movement has never made sense to anyone but the french.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Well anyone who isn't a moron would learn both around here.

But When I started at Pratt and Whitney, there was a gang from Quebec City (right out of school) that didn't speak a word of English. Boy were they having a hard time.
French Canadians are the worst
Word. Since I spend the majority of my days keeping Bombardier aircraft from falling out of the sky I, from time to time, have the displeasure of speaking with their technical people. Its like getting the indian tech guy in New Dehli who is clearly speaking a second launguage, except with a french accent, in Montreal. I cannot understand a single thing any of those guys say. Keep that in mind next time you fly United or Delta Express.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Word. Since I spend the majority of my days keeping Bombardier aircraft from falling out of the sky I, from time to time, have the displeasure of speaking with their technical people. Its like getting the indian tech guy in New Dehli who is clearly speaking a second launguage, except with a french accent, in Montreal. I cannot understand a single thing any of those guys say. Keep that in mind next time you fly United or Delta Express.
How does Bombardier compares to Embraer or Airbus in terms of "displeasure of talking with their technical people"?

:brow:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Someone who speaks three languages = Trilingual

Someone who speaks two languages = Bilingual

Someone who speaks one language = American

Harden up and learn another language.
heheh :D :weee: :rant:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
and regarding the tags: France and Quebec have about as much to do with each other as Alabama and England do....technically they are both speaking the same language....but in reality....not really.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Quebec is the thing that is most wrong with Canada.

The tail wags the dog affecting every aspect of life - from politicos giving speeches in two languages, appeasing the Bloc just to get simple legislation passed, never mind the bloodymindedness of the Quebexicans and their language laws. Or how about the money that the rest of the country pays INTO Quebec.

They should have the guts to secede. But apparently a majority of people in Quebec are well aware that the govt teat that they suck on would disappear and voted down that move.

**** em, if i had a Nuclear option i'd push it today.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Quebec is the thing that is most wrong with Canada.

The tail wags the dog affecting every aspect of life - from politicos giving speeches in two languages, appeasing the Bloc just to get simple legislation passed, never mind the bloodymindedness of the Quebexicans and their language laws. Or how about the money that the rest of the country pays INTO Quebec.

They should have the guts to secede. But apparently a majority of people in Quebec are well aware that the govt teat that they suck on would disappear and voted down that move.

**** em, if i had a Nuclear option i'd push it today.
Back to your padded cell please. Drop by a history class on your way there.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I wish I was born in a place/to a family that afforded me the chance to be naturally bilangue. Vraiment.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Same. :thumb:

But in the mean time I say don't sign the petition and stick it to MmmmMmMMMmmike. :D
Like I said, you aren't screwing me. I actually can send my kids to english or french schools. (For now)

What's funny is that the french are screwing themselves. It's now (as it has been for a while) illegal for french people to send their kids to school in english. (which is how you end up with kids being unilingual french). A buddy of mine (who is french), had parents who were smart enough to send him to school in english. Spoke french at home, spoke english at school. The result? perfectly bilingual. But now, doing that is illegal for french people. There's some good thinkin' right there. Forest for the trees, and something about your nose to spite your face and all that......

But what is cool about it here is that you listen to people around here, and for some people (of whom I am envious), there is no distinction between the two languages. The can operate as easily in either language. I'm not that good. But honestly, a single conversation will flip between french and english a dozen times and no-one thinks anything of it.

And again when I was at Pratt, as my french is pretty good, but not great, the guy that sat beside me understood English, but spoke poorly. I understand 100% in french, but it take effort for me to be as witty as I am in english. So I spoke english, he spoke french. We understood each other perfectly. To me this is the perfect arrangement. We can be ourselves, with no real barrier.

Can't we all get along?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
god they are stupid

http://www.montrealgazette.com/SSJB+wants+clampdown+English+schools/2875592/story.html

MONTREAL – As the Société St. Jean Baptiste de Montréal plans an offensive to urge the government to tighten access to English schools, the Lester B. Pearson School Board will be voting on a resolution Tuesday night asking the government to broaden access to English education.

The resolution, planned with the board’s Central Parents Committee, asks the government to ensure that the choice of an English education is – at least in a limited way – made available to more people than is currently the case.

“We’re just asking them to let us live,” said Marcus Tabachnick, chairperson of the Pearson board. “We’re asking them to give us a little oxygen. It’s not an unreasonable request. This is not a monolithic Quebec.”

In October, the Supreme Court struck down Bill 104, an amendment to Quebec’s French Language Charter that tightened access to English schools. The Quebec government has said it would make its remedy known by the end of the National Assembly’s legislative session in June.

The SSJB has been pushing to have the government apply Bill 101 to unsubsidized private schools so there will be no loopholes.

Both the Pearson board and the English Montreal School Board have lobbied hard for the government not to revert to Bill 104’s restrictions, which they say cost them each about 500 students a year.

But Tabachnick said the new resolution isn’t simply a response to Bill 104.

“I don’t care about Bill 104 – the problem is bigger than that,” he said Monday. He said the government has as much of a responsibility to the English community as to anyone else.

“Our French immersion programs have put our kids in a position to live and work and succeed here.”

Nan Beaton, chairperson of the board’s CPC, said she is hoping the resolution will at least raise awareness about the dwindling population in English schools.

Tabachnick is hoping the EMSB – and all anglophone school boards – will adopt similar resolutions in the weeks to come.

“I don’t know how the government will respond, but we have to say something,” he said. “We’re not trying to save schools – we’re trying to save a community.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/SSJB+wants+clampdown+English+schools/2875592/story.html#ixzz0kyN8mwmf