Quantcast

Sign this petition - stick it to the french!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lbpsb/

One of the "fun" things about Quebec is that you have very little freedom when it comes to language. French gets rammed down your throat, all in the name of "preserving culture".

So kids with french parents HAVE to send their kids to french schools (by law) and therefore the kids end up not learning English. Similarly, kids of immigrants are also forced to go to school in french. Works great in a world economy....

(I recall as a kid, a new family moved from ENGLAND and the kids were forced into a french class.)

Anyhow, it's freaking retarded. So sign the petition to relax the law.

And look at it this way, by not signing it, you aren't hurting me, as my kids are allowed to go to school in french or english. They are in French immersion by choice. But if you DO sign it, you are sticking it to the french.

Does it get any better than that?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Well anyone who isn't a moron would learn both around here.

But When I started at Pratt and Whitney, there was a gang from Quebec City (right out of school) that didn't speak a word of English. Boy were they having a hard time.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yes except that the chicks are really slutty and "do stuff".
I had heard this. But apperntly it didn't apply to me. as the strength of thier no's were as strong as the English speaking girls. Except one named Tanya, she rocked our worlds and could drink like an Irishman......

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I had heard this. But apperntly it didn't apply to me. as the strength of thier no's were as strong as the English speaking girls. Except one named Tanya, she rocked our worlds and could drink like an Irishman......
He never said they didn't have any standards.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I am immigrating there within a year and I am having a horrible time learning french. I very much dislike the idea that businesses have to have their names in french first and then only in smaller letters and below the french can be the english name.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
He never said they didn't have any standards.
Sluts with standards.... I just can't seem to grasp that concept. My world would be cease to exist if that was the case..... Lets hope. 1.) Your wrong 2.) Self esteem is not on the rise amongst the younger generations of women in my world....

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I am immigrating there within a year and I am having a horrible time learning french. I very much dislike the idea that businesses have to have their names in french first and then only in smaller letters and below the french can be the english name.
How did you get forced into immigrating here?

If you stick to Montreal you won't have any problem getting served in English.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That's not quite exactly right. You'll see when you get here.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yea I don't pretend to know a ton about the place. But thats what I have read. I am in the midst of trying to figure out a name for my park that I won't have to put in french. Making up a word is harder than I thought it would be.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yea I don't pretend to know a ton about the place. But thats what I have read. I am in the midst of trying to figure out a name for my park that I won't have to put in french. Making up a word is harder than I thought it would be.
Check out street view... go up and down Saint-Laurent get an idea of what the names are like... quite mixed:

Google Maps

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
with role models like these, I'm sure you'll be fine.

edit: don't forget to sign the petition!
Aren't you the least bit bothered that you saw this pic and said to yourself "Hey I should save this for a time later when it might be useful in a post or something". Don't tell me you haven't been periodically looking at it and wondering when to pull it out of your hat...... Man you're busted.... If you saved it to your harddrive or photobucket account then you should be ashamed of yourself and self banned from RM.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
How did you get forced into immigrating here?

If you stick to Montreal you won't have any problem getting served in English.
Getting served in a restaurant is a little different than filling out legal forms. Moving back here after 6 years away was a big shock to me. My french had slipped for sure. And getting my wife set up with medicare and all the various Quebec gov't forms that were in FRENCH ONLY was not easy.

Yes Montreal is more english. But much of the legal provincial stuff and websites etc are in french only.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Aren't you the least bit bothered that you saw this pic and said to yourself "Hey I should save this for a time later when it might be useful in a post or something". Don't tell me you haven't been periodically looking at it and wondering when to pull it out of your hat...... Man you're busted.... If you saved it to your harddrive or photobucket account then you should be ashamed of yourself and self banned from RM.
I actually just did a google search for "ugly skank". Came up on the first page.

Would you have preferred my findings under "crack whore"?

edit: Don't forget to sign the petition!

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Getting served in a restaurant is a little different than filling out legal forms. Moving back here after 6 years away was a big shock to me. My french had slipped for sure. And getting my wife set up with medicare and all the various Quebec gov't forms that were in FRENCH ONLY was not easy.

Yes Montreal is more english. But much of the legal provincial stuff and websites etc are in french only.
Just like I'm pretty sure all the forms or documents in Alberta or BC are in English only. When you decide to imigrate somewhere you know speaks a different language you outa know that there will be some difficulties.

If I would move to Japan I would try to learn the language and respect their customs at the best of my abilities, that is just common sense.

As far as the signage (sp?) goes, you will be shock for sure!

Home Depot is Entrepôt de Maison
Second Cup is Deuxième Tasse
StarBuck is now Taureau Étoilé
Walmart is Marché de Waldo!

Welcome to Nazi Quebec, the land of persecuted anglos... :rolleyes:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Just like I'm pretty sure all the forms or documents in Alberta or BC are in English only. When you decide to imigrate somewhere you know speaks a different language you outa know that there will be some difficulties.

If I would move to Japan I would try to learn the language and respect their customs at the best of my abilities, that is just common sense.

As far as the signage (sp?) goes, you will be shock for sure!

Home Depot is Entrepôt de Maison
Second Cup is Deuxième Tasse
StarBuck is now Taureau Étoilé
Walmart is Marché de Waldo!

Welcome to Nazi Quebec, the land of persecuted anglos... :rolleyes:
Ah....I was waiting for that. And I would buy into that IF I WERE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. But alas, Quebec is still part of Canada. I am an anglo that WAS BORN HERE. And the official languages of Canada are English and French. And the vast majority of CANADA speaks English. Quebec is NOT a foreign country, (try as they may). They are a province of Canada. But I have a hard time being served in my own language in the place of my birth. That doesn't seem odd? (And that is a rhetorical question....as I've had this debate a million times before....yet it never gets old for some reason)

Edit: and I've never heard anyone actually come up with a response to my rebuttal either.

And I have argued the other side of this too. When I was in the US ,I would defend the French. The classic line was "Well if they love their French so much, why don't they go back to france?" My answer to that is that the French have been here longer than the "americans" have been in america. That usually shut them up pretty quick.

Last edited:
It would seem to me that either culture requiring the use of a particular language is wrong. I also think that I understand enough of the history of this argument to know that it will not stop.

I would like to learn to speak Quebec French so as to chatter with my riding buddies in their own tongue.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
It would seem to me that either culture requiring the use of a particular language is wrong. I also think that I understand enough of the history of this argument to know that it will not stop.

I would like to learn to speak Quebec French so as to chatter with my riding buddies in their own tongue.
Exactly. I am very happy that I know a second language. My kids are learning it and are doing quite well. But having it forced upon us is just wrong.

And like my example I pointed out earlier, the dudes from Quebec city that didn't speak a word of french? Come on.....you won't get very far in this world like that. They struggled along until they learned English. Unless you can somehow get by with ONLY doing business with other people ONLY in Quebec, I guess you're ok. But nowadays? Fat chance.

Even the most staunch separatists I know all speak English perfectly (better than my French)...like they BARELY have an accent.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have to agree that being unilingual french in North America is quite sad and limitating is you have more ambition than just being confined in Québec or moving to France.
On the other hand, I can garrantee you that there are surprisingly a lot of adult Anglos that were born in Québec city and that are still unilingual English. That IMO is beyond stubborness; it's self-punishment. Why would anyone want to live like a tourist forever in your own birthplace?

In Montréal, my feeling is that both Francos and Anglos should just be happy about the fact that this duality is what makes Montréal so cool. Without the French, Montréal would just be another (boring?) canadian city...and without the anglos, it would not be as developped and important internationally.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I have to agree that being unilingual french in North America is quite sad and limitating is you have more ambition than just being confined in Québec or moving to France.
On the other hand, I can garrantee you that there are surprisingly a lot of adult Anglos that were born in Québec city and that are still unilingual English. That IMO is beyond stubborness; it's self-punishment. Why would anyone want to live like a tourist forever in your own birthplace?

In Montréal, my feeling is that both Francos and Anglos should just be happy about the fact that this duality is what makes Montréal so cool. Without the French, Montréal would just be another (boring?) canadian city...and without the anglos, it would not be as developped and important internationally.
I completely agree....but when I'm trying to fill out a relatively important form for something to do with my taxes....or something (I dunno....something official), I'd like it to be in my own language. Because legal-ese is hard enough in your first language, let alone your second language.

I don't want to stamp out French. I just wish they'd stop trying to stamp out english.