Quantcast

Signs for our trail *suggestions*

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
so as most of you know Manhattanprjkt and I have built a sweet piece of singletrack, approx. 3 miles long. Off to the side of the trails are stunts, or in some cases there is an easy line and an advanced line. I am going to print up some signs in the near future to announce the "feature" in advance of someone just happening upon it and getting hurt.

I have some ideas for some of the signs, but was wondering if you have seen signs around and if the signs have pictures and text, or just pictures?
and if just pictures how would you graphically represent:
1. Bridge?
2. Teeter?
3. Drop?
4. ladder to ladder transfer over a log?
5. kicker?
6. skinny?

and how large would you make the signs?

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Get your hands on some real skulls and bones and then hang them over the tough bits. Anyone who goes anyway could never say they weren't warned.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I just whipped this up real quick in powerpoint.

What do you think? Words plus a very easy, recognizable pictogram. I could easily do the rest if you like them.

As for size. 6" x 6" should be big enough. You don't want something too big. If they are brightly colored then they'll be easy to spot in time.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just whipped this up real quick in powerpoint.

What do you think? Words plus a very easy, recognizable pictogram. I could easily do the rest if you like them.

As for size. 6" x 6" should be big enough. You don't want something too big. If they are brightly colored then they'll be easy to spot in time.

A warning for an angry triangular cyclops with a "bridge" goatee?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Falls City just has signs like at a ski resort with the level identified. It was also a requirement for the trail to have a defined alternate route in case the stunt is wet, or you puss out (as I would often do).

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Depending on the "situation" where the trail was built, you might be better off using IMBA recommended signage.

However if you are free to do whatever you like, definitely go with either biohazard or skull and crossbones for the expert lines.