Quantcast

Signs for Sst

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I was thinking some more signs at seatac would be a really good thing. I know someone put up those wooden signs along time ago and they got torn down. Maybe we could try again, at least get some at the entrances that say ride at your own risk, and drops ahead or somthing like that. It would make it a little safer and might keep the city a little more happy. I dont have the resourses to make signs tough, any ideas ??

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'm the someone you refer to.

If I were to undertake a task like that again, I'd just make up signs that I could print out and laminate - keep them on file so you could reprint as they get jacked.

Speaking of signs, I think we should come up with a set of hand signals that we can use when some of us are near the middle trying to communicate with people down low - or when planes are buzzing directly overhead.
Perhaps something along this line...

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
You would be willing to make some signs? That would be great! I could help you out with some cash for the materials. As for the time and work I ussally put in more than my share with a shovel. Not sure how involved you want to get. Do you know what you want to say? The entance should have a warning about riding at own risk, wear protective gear, drops and gaps ahead somthing to that effect. The sign saying to walk back up the road was a good idea as well. With higher traffic from the upper section the look up sign that used to be there might be a good too. Also Drop or Gap signs before all the step downs and drops would be cool, sorta like whistler does. All these things should be obvous to most of the riders but some people riding there dont have a clue, espesally if its your first time there.

the hand signals were cracking me up :)

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Assistance appreciated for sure, BUT I currently have no desire to dive into that...again. I'm being selfish/greedy so far this fall/winter - it's all about riding at present. Just kind of making a productive suggestion. I'm willing to channel any creative energy into a wallride along the fence at the bottom, though.:cool:

The signage you mention is pretty much what we set up, so you're on the right track with that mindset. If you really want to do it up right, you could make the respective signs color-coded. Green being beginner, blue for intermediate and red (hard to print on black) for expert.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Those hand signals are too funny! Yeah, I agree, signs would be good. I am too willing to pitch in some doe, to get them done.

What would also be cool, is to give each run a name. It sucks when you are explaining to your buddies that you just hit the 3rd stepdown to the right, after the 8foot booter, on the middle trail.

The reply is usually "Which is the middle trail"? Which booter? Oh, you mean the one after the small drop? What? Huh? Which one?

Maybe post a new thread and get peeps to throw out names for each run...then just pick the best. You could have a "upper" "middle" and "lower" naming convention for the 3 stages of the flow park. I think its fairly self explanatory where these would start and end.

Ash

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I dont have a printer that would make signs or anything that would make wooden signs. There is no way I could make them, having a shop make them would cost to much $$. So untell someone who has the resourses steps up and prints them I guess it wont get done. I would help determine what signs should say and help hang them, I could pitch in some cash too. I think the most important would be signs at all the entrances that say warning drops and gaps ahead ride at your own risk.

I saw Andy was calling the line against the fence the drop kick line. I thought that was good. The old line that everyone used to do over and over, step down to table, I think that used to be the bread and butter line.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
First off someone has obviously not done any real digging in the area. The dirt is sandy and takes some time to settle down. Its that way for miles, spent 18 years living within miles of that place and its just that way. So shutup and go make your own jumps somewhere with ideal dirt for you.

Back to regularly scheduled program...

I might be able to help out on this project. I work in a metal shop so we have scrap sheet metal that could be used for the signs. I have a good friend with a vinal plotter (that can make diecut stickers) So if something could be done in multi color (sign black all lettering in red)
I know that they will eventually get jacked or destroyed but can be re-done pretty easy. The only real cost on that would be some Lexan to put over the lettering to keep it (or try) a little nicer a little longer but im sure I can cover that.

I could also grab some scrap stuff and torch cut some "Trail rating" type signs. Double Diamond, Diamond, Circle, Square (and rabbit ?? haha) and then they could be bomb canned the correct color and put up in the right location. Maybe some ONEWAY type signs as well??

The older wooden signs were cool but I dont have a wood burner or router or any of that jazz.

I don't have a bunch of extra time to do stuff at work but I would have a few minutes here and there during a lunch break to sheer some metal into squares and debur it.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Ok Specilzed king, I am sure you would prefer bushs and weeds to a jump that you almost hurt yourself on becuse you got bigger balls than brains(and no respect for other people). On the other hand me and alot of other people like the jump, so how about you just dont hit it and shut your mouth, better yet you build a new jump and show us what a great builder(and rider) you are.

Desul that would be much aprectaied, as I said I dont have the resources to make signs, but I will help you hang them and pitch in some cash. I do got the resourse to shovel some dirt everytime I come out.

-Kim

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
BIGHIT756 said:
you need to stop the trash talking. jumps are just fine if you hit them when there ready. f****** idiot. grow up. get a life and get over that mid life crisis that you have

So much anger Jesse, and from one so young and fresh! You shouldn't be so cynical at your age, you've got years to go before you should be a bitter old man like the rest of us. Besides, remember you represent a local shop, you never know, someone you flame here might be in your shop sometime trying to give you his/her money.

Just a suggestion little homie, from one who knows how damaging the Monkey can be.....:dead:

God I love this place.

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
Hello every one. I have the resources at work to make paper signs that I can lamenate. I'll be tree friendly and not use any nails or staples. How many signs are y'alls talking about? I can make them up today. Would be nice to have some ideas on what signs should be made.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
How about we start with 3 signs. They should say caution!! drops and jumps ahead, ride at your own risk! We could put them at the top 2 entrances and the bottom one. If you want you could print some up that just say drop! and post them before some of the drops sorta like whistler.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Yah Andy those signs rock. Sorry to see them gone (well I have seen one or two floating around)

How did you indent the writing? I do have access to wood tools....

Oh and I may get flamed or catch flack for this..But I was planning on bolting them to the F-in tree... Im sorry but I don't give a rats ass about the trees at SST . There were WAY less when it was houses in there... AND the whole place is set to be bulldozed in a few years anyways... So why cry over spilt sap. Its really not an issue at this location

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
DesuL said:
Yah Andy those signs rock. Sorry to see them gone (well I have seen one or two floating around)

How did you indent the writing? I do have access to wood tools....

Oh and I may get flamed or catch flack for this..But I was planning on bolting them to the F-in tree... Im sorry but I don't give a rats ass about the trees at SST . There were WAY less when it was houses in there... AND the whole place is set to be bulldozed in a few years anyways... So why cry over spilt sap. Its really not an issue at this location
I have a dremel tool w/ a router attachment. Back then, I also had being unemployed on my side...waaaaaay too much time on my hands.

You won't get flamed on by ME for the bolting thing - I nailed my signs down. That being said, I would probably just carve the signs directly INTO the tree. Make the losers earn them if they want to snag them.:sneaky:

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Yah I wouldn't think twice about putting them onto the tree... i gotta wicked hatchet to take the bark off... Wonder if a portible butane cracksmoking type torch from radiosmak would do the job to etch the words into the tree.... Id like to see those drunk punks take it now...

" DUDE I STOLE THIS SIGN FROM THE WOODS "

" ummm... Why do you have a 40 ft tree in your room?"

" DUDE I STOLE IT CHECK IT OUT"

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Ok so my boss mumbled (he does this alot) about taking all the scrap metal I want for whatever. I found a few pieces of thinner stuff that we rolled for something and had scrap left over. They would be perfect to band around a tree somehow.

Im borrowing a smaller tipped cutting torch next week so I can cut smaller lines in plate. Some of them could be used as a stencil even to spray paint onto a tree, or a replacement sign once one gets vanalized. Just be able to repaint the DROPOFF or ONEWAY

Also was just gunna try cutting out some Diamonds? I dunno what do people want? I could use more practice cutting with a torch so this would be a good lil f-around thing for me and I can make plenty of spares spares if more are needed.

Also going to ask my friend to print something on his sticker printer saying something like...

Ride at your own risk, trail users assume all liability and understand hazards. Trail Is always changing, always look before you leap and check condition before riding.

His wife is a paralegal so she would know a bit better then me how to word some of this to make sure everyone is taking on thier own risks. Anyways..

Please lemme know what you want ill try and get it made in the next week or so (boss is going on vacation)

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Thats sounds great desul, as I said before signs at the entrance that Say WARNING: Drops ahead, Look before you leap or somthing like that. Let me know when you plain on putting them up and I will try and come out to help. If you want you could just make a few signs that say DROP! or Easy way down with a arrow sign.

-Kim

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Ok so the first one will say... Sandy sand WATCH OUT!!! :nopity:

lol... No but really, what would be the best way to attach these to things/trees? I could drill holes in them? bit nails with a large head, drilll a 3/16" holes for some large nails?

Drop signs im all over... I am kinda new to the trade and need more practice so some of these may turn out really crude, some may be funky, some may just plain suck... and some may surprise myself :D

And Kim you have been there everytime I have been there so im not worried im sure we will connect paths...

Someone ran into my car today and did aobut 3G worth of damage. Not a happy camper.. They broke a $450 rim :( im gunna be working my ass off getting my car on the road for a few days.. then I can get back to bikes.