Quantcast

Signs your FIT RC2 damper needs a service/rebuild

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The quite soft spring rate for the negative spring was not so bad after all, especially after having removed the top out spring! I now have a good balance between the positive and negative springs at full extension which increased the initial suppleness to what you would expect from a modern fork.
I also swap the fox float fluid for some gold oil in the positive chamber and crank up both compressions a little.
Only drawback is that there is now a top out klonk but nothing I notice while riding tho...

Zap

Chimp
Aug 20, 2017
Austria
Looking for a bladder for the non-inverted RC2.
Anyone around here still got one and would post them to Europe?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Looking for a bladder for the non-inverted RC2.
Anyone around here still got one and would post them to Europe?
I found mine on ebay and it was shipped from Germany.
You will probably find the complete service kit easier than the bladder alone. References can be found earlier in this thread.

Zap

Chimp
Aug 20, 2017
Austria
Yeah, thanks. Found that as well in the mean time. I hoped, FarkinRyan still would have had one to give away, but having a complete kit won't hurt I guess.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have maximised my armchair engineering skills and replace the original negative spring of my old 36 with a cut XS Boxxer spring and a few other pieces in order to allow things to glide freely and rattlefree. Now the fork feels like the front tire is punctured... :panic:
At least I got rid of the top out noise! :thumb:
IMG_20171019_191449_041.jpg

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Actually a long and rather soft negative spring makes plenty of sense to me: it allows the force vs travel curves of the negative and positive springs to blend seamlessly while a shorter but stiffer negative spring will create a combined air spring curve with a kink where the negative spring is fully extended.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
How much positive contribution to the total weight of the fork does the negative spring have?
Can you please rephrase? I am not sure if I understand...

your running a 180mm fork at 130mm of travel?

a clearer picture is forming in my mind
More is not always better. ;)
I have this fork on my hardtail where 180mm of travel would result in a unnecessary high bb and would be way too much anyway.
I can also easily convert it back to its original shape if needed... No worry!

martiege

Chimp
May 28, 2019
Hello, looks like fox removed all the old service instructions from their webpage. Does anyone here have an manual on how to service the cartridge on an fox talas (36 rc2 in my case) before they inverted the installation?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Hello, looks like fox removed all the old service instructions from their webpage. Does anyone here have an manual on how to service the cartridge on an fox talas (36 rc2 in my case) before they inverted the installation?
Yes. PM me your E-Mail and I can share a G Drive folder.

Diogo Costa

Chimp
Oct 16, 2019
@Flo33 Hi, i have a Fox 36mm TALAS 150mm 2005 and i need to service the TALAS (i think its the TALAS I) and the RC2 damper, do you have the service manuals? would be very grateful, regards.

ungertj

Chimp
Apr 13, 2020
Yes. PM me your E-Mail and I can share a G Drive folder.
I'd be interested as well - about to tear apart an 09 36 fit rc2 talas III for as full a rebuild as I can with the parts still available (no bladder's anymore unfortunately)

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
oh how fun......
so,
on that one, you still have some parts stuck in the damper tube that go with the base valve.
the black job to the right of your bladder, goes in the lower, to stop the tube from smacking the lower.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Does anyone know which parts go where on the rc2 damper? It came apart while riding so i don't know where anything goes
Check that and a few posts below. You should find everything you need

Dh-filip

Chimp
Jul 7, 2022
Norway
The bladder doesn't seem to stay in place. i have done it before, but I don't remember how it is supposed to stay in place. And I can't find a manual on how to do it

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
The bladder doesn't seem to stay in place. i have done it before, but I don't remember how it is supposed to stay in place. And I can't find a manual on how to do it
Send me a pm with your email and I can share a google drive fileset with all the original fox info.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The thread of the brake hose guide on my trusty 36 from 2009 just got stripped. Any advice about how to fix that?
20230410_103117.jpg

I just did a full rebuild to get it back to 150-160mm of travel and adjust the damping to my son's weight. Even with 40psi of pressure, the original negative coil would top out... I put another coil instead which balances out the force from the air chamber much better. It took me a few rebuild to get it right but I got there at the end. Nice feeling to see my boy happily jumping around on his "new" bike
20230407_175041.jpg

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Always been paranoid about that. Looks like options are:

Give up and use a zip tie
Drill and tap (if even necessary) for next larger size of bolt
Thread/epoxy in a stud the same size as the original and use a nut to retain the hose guide

Helicoil or similar seems iffy based on the size.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Always been paranoid about that. Looks like options are:

Give up and use a zip tie
Drill and tap (if even necessary) for next larger size of bolt
Thread/epoxy in a stud the same size as the original and use a nut to retain the hose guide

Helicoil or similar seems iffy based on the size.
Happened to my 40. Just zip tied it.