Quantcast

silent freewheel?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I am getting a BMX bike and being that there are no gears and that they are realy simple I want something that will make the thing totaly silent, does such a thing exist?

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
In my experience Shimano brand freewheels are silent. Just go to the LBS and buy a Shimano. Heh, I just realized, my freewheel is the only shimano part on my bikes. :brows:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
allow me to retort,

a loud REAR wheel=quality. it has clinicly been proven by the leading independent research group of america.

and who the hell poured sand into your diaper?

:brows:
What about a stealth hub thoes are killer and SILENT. The reason I am anoyed is because I asked a simple question and you have to retort with your BS on quality when simply put, on a cheep BMX bike for getting around on I don't. Eather answer my question or don't respond to the thread.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
allow me to retort,

a loud REAR wheel=quality. it has clinicly been proven by the leading independent research group of america.

and who the hell poured sand into your diaper?

:brows:
Uh, you should read this thread more carefully.

TheMontashu is asking how to silence a freewheel, not a freehub.

As the owner of multiple 5 & 6 speed freewheels, the design of all of them are identical: pawls, springs, and teeth. The quality might go up but the sound is not indicative of the quality.

Freehubs will use different mechanisms, most notably the Chris King Ringdrive helical spines. There the noise is one indicator of quality.

Frankly, I think TheMontashu's requests are abnormally anal, but he does know what he wants, and I respect for it. Not that I respect TheMontashu, just his bike ideas.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I don't know much about silent freewheels, so don't expect anything helpful from me.

But but but are you looking to run micro gearing? If you even think you'll be tempted to get a small chainring up front, then try and get a cassette hub. I'm running a freewheel right now because that's what came stock on my POS bike. I'll be throwing down a few bills to get a cassette hub soon, though.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Uh, you should read this thread more carefully.

TheMontashu is asking how to silence a freewheel, not a freehub.

As the owner of multiple 5 & 6 speed freewheels, the design of all of them are identical: pawls, springs, and teeth. The quality might go up but the sound is not indicative of the quality.

Freehubs will use different mechanisms, most notably the Chris King Ringdrive helical spines. There the noise is one indicator of quality.

Frankly, I think TheMontashu's requests are abnormally anal, but he does know what he wants, and I respect for it. Not that I respect TheMontashu, just his bike ideas.
well at least i thought i was funny.

i was [jokingly] questioning him about why he would want a silent hub, or freewheel, when, stereotypically, most nice bmx, mtb, and even some road hubs are really loud. EG, king or hadley. that is all. im just not a master of the expressionless sarcasm i guess.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
my frind has a shimano free wheel on his BMX, and its loud as hell.:rant:
Hmmm...all mine are silent. Maybe his is old and running low on grease? or not a shimano? or they changed design sometime?:brows:

Either way he can just pick one up at the bike shop and spin it in his hand to see how loud it is. Freewheels aren't rocket science.

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
I am getting a BMX bike and being that there are no gears and that they are realy simple I want something that will make the thing totaly silent, does such a thing exist?
A simple Shimano with a medium grease is damn near silent. I have some on a SS townie and a cruiser. Quality is just fine for what you're looking for, and they are the most quiet FW's I've ever found.