Quantcast

SIlly frogs

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
remind me again why we were supposed to care what these people thought about the way we run our country.

French riots spread outside Paris By Kerstin Gehmlich
1 hour, 51 minutes ago

AULNAY-SOUS-BOIS, France (Reuters) - Rioters set fire to hundreds of vehicles in impoverished suburbs of northeastern Paris in an eighth night of unrest that spread for the first time to other parts of the capital and towns in France.

Local officials said they had lost patience with the government. Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and his rival, Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy, opted for low profiles after days of squabbling over how to handle the crisis.

Police reported fewer clashes than previous nights and residents said the Eid al-Fitr holiday ending Ramadan may have calmed areas with many Muslims of North African and black African origin who feel treated as second-class citizens.

But the rioting spread, with some attacks reported in western Paris suburbs -- including the spectacular burning of 23 buses at a depot -- and a few cars firebombed around Rouen in northern France, Dijon in the east and Marseille in the south.

The pattern of violence also changed, shifting from crowds clashing with police to targeted arson attacks, many against businesses and warehouses.

"I've had enough of this," said an angry woman wearing a headscarf in Aulnay-sous-Bois, a northeastern Paris suburb where a large warehouse was burned down overnight. "This must stop quickly. It's just not right."

Mayors from the riot-hit areas were also exasperated after Villepin briefed them on Thursday evening about an "action plan for the suburbs" he aims to present later this month.

"Many of us told him this isn't the time for an umpteenth plan," said Jean-Christophe Lagarde, mayor of Drancy. "All we need is one death and I think it will get out of control."

"IMMENSE VIOLENCE"

Justice Minister Pascal Clement was visibly shaken after being briefed about a handicapped woman in her 50s who was badly burned on Wednesday evening when rioters poured petrol on a city bus she was riding in and set it ablaze.

"This is immense violence," he told reporters in Bobigny, another town in the Seine Saint Denis department between central Paris and Charles de Gaulle airport that has been the worst hit. "I think all French are shocked to see things like this."

With the blazing suburbs making headlines around the world, Foreign Ministry spokesman Jean-Baptiste Mattei complained about foreign coverage of the riots -- without naming any media -- and said foreign tourists were not in danger.

"One is sometimes surprised at the international coverage of these events," he told reporters. "These are very serious incidents ... but we are very far from such a serious situation as some commentaries or television reports lead one to think."

Officials in Seine Saint Denis said 187 vehicles had been destroyed there overnight. Police detained 27 people and reported two injuries.

French media said up to 600 vehicles were destroyed in the whole greater Paris region, including 23 buses at a terminal in Trappes in the southwest near Versailles. An amateur video aired on television showed them all in a row and all in flames.

Security officials said the presence of hundreds of riot police had acted as a deterrent, but rioters nevertheless set fire to two textile warehouses, a bus depot and a school.

"Why a school, why a car? What can you say about such blind violence," one local mayor, Michel Beaumale, said.

FEAR OF VIOLENCE SPREADING

Villepin spent Friday out of public view in his Matignon offices. Mayors who criticized him expressed concern the rioting could spread to other cities with similar suburbs that keep the poor far from rich city centers.

Manuel Valls, mayor of Evry south of the capital, said: "We're afraid that what's happening in Seine Saint Denis will spread. We have to give these people a message of hope."

Rioting among young men of North African and black African origin -- mostly locally born citizens who feel cheated by France's official promises of liberty, equality and fraternity -- began last week after two teenagers of African origin died while fleeing the police.

Villepin and Sarkozy, whose bitter political rivalry has overshadowed the government's reaction, teamed up on Thursday to announce that restoring order was their "absolute priority."

Villepin blamed the riots on gangs he said terrorized residents and sought to keep police out of their districts, and vowed law and order would be restored.

In several interviews on Friday morning, conservative politicians said drug traffickers and Islamist militants were fanning the unrest, although they gave no details.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
My guess is they've already tied the white flag to a stick, and their just waiting to figure out which way is east. They'll all be chanting ali akbar as soon as someone finds a compass.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
no, im an equal opportunity hater. Although being from new york, I do have a special place in my heart for them. Wait till they kill someone you know for no reason, you'll feel the same way. Just cause your some liberal wanker from nz, doesnt mean your safe, you dont grow a beard and bow east your on there s**t list too. Thats the reality of the situation.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
You have a special place for them? The french you mean? You're a racist alright!

USA-ians hating the french is one of the stupidest, pathetic and most played-out behavior. I'm always amazed to see that some people don't see how dumb they look by openly making racist remarks about the french people. That being said, go eat your freedom fries. :rolleyes:

If you hate the french that much, you should take advantage of the fact your in NY and blow-up your very french Statue de la Liberté...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
The Amish said:
no, im an equal opportunity hater. Although being from new york, I do have a special place in my heart for them. Wait till they kill someone you know for no reason, you'll feel the same way. Just cause your some liberal wanker from nz, doesnt mean your safe, you dont grow a beard and bow east your on there s**t list too. Thats the reality of the situation.
You clearly have no clue about 'the reality of the situation'. Go and watch some more Fox News and leave the adults alone.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Amish said:
My guess is they've already tied the white flag to a stick, and their just waiting to figure out which way is east. They'll all be chanting ali akbar as soon as someone finds a compass.
Try not to be an idiot. There is a large Muslim population in France, and the French have done a wonderful job in places like Algiers.

Take out the Battle of Algiers from the movie section of your library and get back to us about your opinion about France and Islam.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Even Islamic extremists don't kill people for "no reason". To think as much is beyond childish.

Not all the problems in the middle east are caused by the west, far from it, but many are made far worse than they need be.

Arab countries have been thoroughly manipulated and abused by the west, especially America for the last 60 years at least. One sided American support for Israel, both in terms of resources and international politics has lead to the deaths of 3 times as many Palestinians as Israelis over the years, and the impoverisment of their lands. Western oil interests and other big business have taken every opportinity to take without giving back from these lands. America has long sought control over middle eastern governments to ensure a reliable oil supply and in doing so has propped up dictator after dictator, and helped them oppress their populations on a massive scale.

Many Arab people are understandably pissed off with this kind of treatment, and most feel, and are, utterly powerless to do anything about it. Western, and mostly American money has ensured their voices are irrelevant. Under Bush, the hypocracy and one sided behaviour has become more pronounced than it has been for decades.

Osama bin Laden, in 1998, issued the following fatwa: " . . . The killing of Americans and their civilian and military allies is a religious duty for each and every Muslim to be carried out in whichever country they are until Al Aqsa mosque has been liberated from their grasp and until their armies have left Muslim lands." You can see where he's coming from.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
ridetoofast said:
so what does this have to do with the situation with the frogs?

just about everything you just mentioned, as usual, is somehow slamming the good ole us of a...i should have expected that.
You don't read too good, do you?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
ridetoofast said:
i read just fine thanks, i just think you reasoning is horse ****.

how about the frogs incredibly liberal immigration policy? think that might have anything to do with it?
I was responding to this:
The Amish said:
I guess you didn't pick up on my paraphrasing?

If you're attributing the reasons for the French riots to their 'incredibly liberal immigration policy' you'd better explain why liberal immigration causes riots.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Changleen said:
I was responding to this: I guess you didn't pick up on my paraphrasing?

If you're attributing the reasons for the French riots to their 'incredibly liberal immigration policy' you'd better explain why liberal immigration causes riots.
He's right about one thing...if you are going to piss off a huge population of poor and angry people, it's best to leave them where they are and not bring them home to vent their anger on you. That sounds like sarcasm, and maybe it is, but it's also common sense...honestly. (However, perhaps it's better not to piss people off, at least when the returns aren't really all that tangible or your motives so noble...? A lesson for all nations, I'd say.)

I don't hate the French people at all. I don't, however, take well to high-minded criticism about my own country's "imperial" tendencies from an imperial power that simply wasn't able to hold on...it's not like they lost a worldwide empire out of a humanist awakening. They just sucked at it. (which the US might, too...not throwing stones myself, just responding...) I also don't think many European nations have room to criticize any 'draconian' tendencies in America's domestic policies, or call the US immoral. The French will support anyone that will buy their arms...they're NO different from anyone else. Yet, somehow, there's this impression (inflated in the US media for sure, but also comes from firsthand experience with certain Frenchmen) that the French see themselves as a spotless nation of free and joyous people who in no way shares the 'evils' of the bad US's capitalist, globalized, "uncultured" society.

Point is...France is a giant glass house, and it looks like some stones are flying. I wish no ill on anyone, though, and hope for a swift end to the violence, and a longer-term solution to alleviate its root causes.

MD

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
For some reason, I have the feeling that if you replaced "Frogs" by "Niggers" or any others insulting names toward jews, mexicans, etc. in some of the above posts, **** would be flying and/or moderators would be moderating.
:confused:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
FlipSide said:
For some reason, I have the feeling that if you replaced "Frogs" by "Niggers" or any others insulting names toward jews, mexicans, etc. in some of the above posts, **** would be flying and/or moderators would be moderating.
:confused:
True, but if it was 'yanks' or 'poms' or 'krauts,' no one would be seething.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Probably...I don't care that much about it, it's just names after all. The point is that using such terms somewhat downgrade the Political Debate forums. It's trolling more than anything else.

Anyway...carry on...I'm may be a frog, but I'm not from France! ;)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
FlipSide said:
Probably...I don't care that much about it, it's just names after all. The point is that using such terms somewhat downgrade the Political Debate forums. If I start a thread about the US mid-west and I refer to the population as a bunch of white-trash. It's trolling more than anything else.
Indeed. And this should probably be called the 'political trolling' forum...

Anyhow, unqualified "I-hate-the-French-ism" is pretty annoying, just like unqualified "I-hate-Americans-ism."

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
The white flags are out.

"Some of the 200 demonstrators — a small turnout in protest-friendly France — waved white flags." some story on yahoo

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
President Bush has authorized the Joint Chiefs to begin drawing up a battle plan to pull France's a$$ out of the fire again. Facing an apparent overwhelming force of up to 400 pissed off teenagers Mr. Bush doubts France's ability to hold off the little pissants. "Hell, if the last two world wars are any indication, I would expect France to
surrender any day now", said Bush.

Joint Chiefs head, Gen. Peter Pace, warned the President that it might be necessary to send up to 5 marines to get things under control. The general admitted that 5 marines may be overkill but he wanted to get this thing under control within 24 hours of arriving on scene. He stated he was having a hard time finding even one marine to help those ungrateful I love you out for a third time but thought that he could persuade a few women marines to do the job before they went on pregnancy leave.

President Bush asked Gen. Pace to get our marines out of there as soon as possible after order was restored. He also reminded Gen. Pace to make sure the marines did not take soap, razors, or deodorant with them. The least they stand out the better.