Quantcast

Silva knocked the boy out!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow, what a solid right hand (from a south paw no less). Says he will stick with 185, but is open o fights in 205. A great knockout, but sort of disappointing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
kinda boring fight. i almost wish i made the 90 mile round trip drive to see Affliction.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The fight afterwards was a good knockout, too.

After seeing the Sandman drop like a sandbag, it makes me wonder who in 205 could stand with him.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I want to see the better true light heavyweights fight Silva: Liddell, Rampage, even Forrest.

I looked at the weigh-ins because I thought Silva would be underweight. He was right at 206lbs but Irvin initially weighed 207.5, but they re-weighed him an hour later and he made weight.

I wonder if he struggled making weight, which made him a hair slower. You rarely see someone catch a kick in the first round of a big fight. Later, when people are tired.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Silva fought 205 in Pride years ago and they said he was about 220 naturally. Most of the 205's are about 220-230 before cutting. Irvin might have been spent, but I doubt it.

I think the upper guys in 205 might do it, but every time I think "Silva's going to lose, this dude is bad ass..." he ends up destroying the guy. Look what he did to Rich Franklin, twice!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it almost looked like he took a dive...i mean, he got hit hard, that was clear, but he immediately fell down and into the fetal position...he wasn't "out". maybe if he were a better fighter he could have attempted a defensive move...but instead he literally curled up. The punches afterwards were what gave him the cuts and eventually actually knocked him out, but that seemed a bit silly...like he psyched himself out or something.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
it almost looked like he took a dive...i mean, he got hit hard, that was clear, but he immediately fell down and into the fetal position...he wasn't "out". maybe if he were a better fighter he could have attempted a defensive move...but instead he literally curled up.
He got knocked clean off his foot! In the replay you clearly see the impact, that was a serious shot. The funny thing is it was a right and Silva is a lefty.