Quantcast

Silva vs Griffin - Blockbuster?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White made good on his promise to land a significant fight for suddenly under siege middleweight champion Anderson Silva, telling Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday that he had signed a deal for Silva to face ex-light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin in the co-main event of UFC 101 in Philadelphia on Aug. 8.
I know this will be a popular fight, but I don't think of it as blockbuster.

I think Forrest is done, so I think it will be a snoozefest.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn, I just finished posting this!

Forest only lost to Evans, it's not like Chuck losing his last few. I think he still has a lot of fight in him and at 205, I would say he might even have an advantage.

I am looking forward to the BJ Penn vs. Florian fight more, though. Florian doesn't get much press, but he has finished damn near all his fights that I can think of since TUF, and I think BJ has lost his edge.

<edit> I find is funny that Silva is talking smack about Fedor Emelianenko. I haven't followed him very much, but if Fedor is as bad ass as his highlight reel, I would STFU. He's about 20 pounds bigger and has stone hands.

Last edited:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
I know this will be a popular fight, but I don't think of it as blockbuster.

I think Forrest is done, so I think it will be a snoozefest.
i agree , forrest is a good fighter and got very lucky with beating rampage , but he's no challenge for silva :plthumbsdown:.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I think it'll be a way better fight than Silva's last two fights have been. Those fights were horrible.
I think Forrest will be a hard fight for him. Forrest doesn't suck. He got KTFO by Rashad. But, so has pretty much everybody that's fought him. Forrest is a smart fighter, and he has a lot of heart. He's going to want the win really bad. Same with Anderson. Anderson has nothing to lose in this one. I think it'll be a great fight. Even if it only goes for two rounds.

Does anybody have the link where Silva is talking trash about Fedor? I'd like to check it out. I've been watching Fedor since his first fight on PRIDE. He's been effen up peeps for a long time now. If i remember right, his first fight in PRIDE was against Semmy Schilt. Some kick boxer that is 6'11".

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Does anybody have the link where Silva is talking trash about Fedor? I'd like to check it out. I've been watching Fedor since his first fight on PRIDE. He's been effen up peeps for a long time now. If i remember right, his first fight in PRIDE was against Semmy Schilt. Some kick boxer that is 6'11".
White can't sign Fedor.

White said that Silva also expressed an interest in fighting heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko, who is under contract with Affliction. White has made several attempts to sign Emelianenko, none successful.

Soares confirmed that Silva would like a fight with Emelianenko and said that size wouldn’t be an issue. Silva walks around between fights at 215 and Emelianenko fights around 230.

“We’d come in at about 220 if we ever got that fight,” Soares said. “Anderson thinks that would be a great fight for him. He didn’t say he expected to blow him out, but he thinks he can give him a very good fight.”

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I remember reading that Fedor turned down a 1.5 million dollar sign on bonus. That's a slap to the face.

i just wanted to see what Silva was saying about Fedor.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I remember reading that Fedor turned down a 1.5 million dollar sign on bonus. That's a slap to the face.

Not to sound like a dick, but if he turned down White I am guessing it's because he's scared of the UFC. He doesn't have anyone to fight in Affliction, so he his sandbagging.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

After Arlosky and Sylvia brought down the heavyweights, I haven't cared much about that class. One of my buddies was making a big deal about Affliction, but I skipped it.

I'm curious to see how Brock Lesnar pans out, but there isn't much competition for him.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I don't know if Fedor is really sandbaggin. Couture was supposedly one of the best heavyweights in the world when he fought Tim. He had a lot of problems with him. Fedor finished Timmy in 36 seconds. Andrei doesn't suck either, and he got knocked out in round 1. Sure, UFC has better heavyweights. But they also have an almost unlimited budget compared to affliction.

Fedor obviously saw something that he didn't like in his contract. To turn down a 1.5 million dollar sign on bonus is crazy. But maybe he didn't like the restrictions the UFC wanted to lay on him. I'm sure he didn't get that much from Affliction. But there is obviously something that we don't know about. Maybe he just doesn't like Dana White.

I'm hoping Brock kills Frank. Frank is way too full of himself now. I don't like either of them, but i hate frank even more so.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Fedor obviously saw something that he didn't like in his contract. To turn down a 1.5 million dollar sign on bonus is crazy. But maybe he didn't like the restrictions the UFC wanted to lay on him. I'm sure he didn't get that much from Affliction. But there is obviously something that we don't know about. Maybe he just doesn't like Dana White.
The contract did not allow Fedor to fight in any other org, including combat sambo which is Fedor's pride, and a staple to his existence. Simple as that. UFC contracts have been called 'slave' contracts by numerous fighters for quite some time now. There's plenty of info on it FYI.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think the term "slave contract" is funny because it's actually no different than any other sports contract. If I play in the NFL, I can't also play in the CFL.

One exception is playing for your country vs. your club team in soccer or baseball. But your country team doesn't compete directly with your club team, so there is no conflict.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I agree, the BJ florian fight will be much better. Those guys absolutely fly, and florian has been getting better and better. I hated him at first, I thought he was a wuss, but after seeing his last several fights, he's a killer. I think he has a great attitude and is in with arguably the best camp. BJ is great when he's at his target weight. He looked phenomenal against Pulver, but pulver was probably fighting up a weight class or so. BJ looked sad in his fight against GSP, but he was fighting up. He also has something to prove, as he's moving into that "washed up" territory.

As far as forrest vs. silva, eh. Forrest keeps improving but I don't know if he has that natural fight in him. He seems like more of a brawler to silva's natural talent and fitness. I feel like they're going to have to throw silva against a better competitor to get the fight they want.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Andrei doesn't suck either, and he got knocked out in round 1.
Andrei was winning that fight before he made a terrible choice with a flying knee and got caught by a punch that was a prayer. Granted I still think that Fedor is the best in the world, but he was getting all he could handle before he landed that punch.

Fedor won't sign with the UFC because they won't let him do Sambo comps, and the fact that he gets a huge payday every year from his freakshow fights on NYE.

On to Silva/Forrest. Forrest is a huge Light Heavyweight, but he is a very similar fighter to Franklin. Bigger than everyone in his weight class, does a lot of things very well, but is not the best at anything, and has only shown lightning in his hands a couple of times.. We all saw how that worked out for Franklin, twice.

His only chance to win is to use his size and strength to wear down Silva. The fact that this is only a 3 round fight heavily against Forrest. Silva in the 2nd by whatever he wants.

With chuck pushed to retire, Forrest and Rampage are the biggest draws for the UFC. All they are doing is lining up another blockbuster between the Silva/Forrest winner and the Winner of Rampage vs Machida/evans. All are fights I would love to see.

Florian/Penn will be good. Florian has gotten immensly better, and is faster than penn. Penn has great boxing skills and an iron head. Florian is good on the ground, but Penn is probably the best in the world at Jits in MMA. Should be interesting, but I think that Penn will submit him if he does not gas.

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, Andrei was working him. He had me worried. He had that look in his eye for the first little bit. He looked solid. We were all watching that fight on the edge of the couch yelling because we knew it was only going to take one punch from either of them to really turn the fight.

I can't wait to see the Bj/Florian fight. I hope Florian chokes out another black belt. But i don't see that happening. I see him playing it smart and back pedaling the whole fight to wear Penn out. After he wears him out with some leg kicks and body kicks, then he'll go to ground and pound and get a TKO. At least, that's what i'm hoping happens. I lost a ton of respect for Penn when he fought GSP. All of that talk, and he couldn't back anything up. Then saying that GSP was greased and taking all of the attention off GSP's win. What a douche.

Silva/Griffin. Hmmm. Griffin hasn't fought anybody as precise as Silva. He's going to get cut up pretty damn good. I don't know if Silva can work the Thai clinch against Griffin, but i'm thinking he's just going to work him from a distance. It'll be a good fight. I think one of the best fights would be Lyoto vs Anderson or Rashad vs Anderson. They should do a superfight like that. 5 rounds, no title on the line, and a catchweight. That's what i really liked about PRIDE. They always had crazy fights. Wanderlei was fighting everybody.