Quantcast

simple and lazy chicken marinades

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I'm looking for some really simple chicken marinades for this summer. I grill a lot so thats the main reason, but I also like to put my chicken in ziplock bags with marinade whenever I go camping. What have you got for me? My most common right now are italian dressing, and my most recent favorite is ceasar dressing.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
narlus said:
roasted habanero w/ grated ginger, fresh lemon juice, and some orange juice. throw some chopped garlic in too.
Understanding that things are relative...this is not what I would call a "simple and lazy" marinade.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'll give you the roasted habanero, which requires some planning. but the rest of the stuff is a quarter step above opening a screw-top bottle.

for a marinade, it's all about balancing sweet, acid, oil and flavors. so, good choices include:

fresh-squeezed citrus
honey
sesame/peanut/veggie oil
soy sauce
chopped herbs
garlic
ginger
spices (cumin, coriander, dry mustard, red pepper, etc).

pick a few you like and try some combos.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
i'll give you the roasted habanero, which requires some planning. but the rest of the stuff is a quarter step above opening a screw-top bottle.

for a marinade, it's all about balancing sweet, acid, oil and flavors. so, good choices include:

fresh-squeezed citrus
honey
sesame/peanut/veggie oil
soy sauce
chopped herbs
garlic
ginger
spices (cumin, coriander, dry mustard, red pepper, etc).

pick a few you like and try some combos.

I totally agree, I mean come on there's lazy and then there's LAZY. If that first one was too much work, it sounds like all you're asking for are recommendations for the best bottled marinades. I don't know any. Narlus' list is good, and he's right, it's all about the balance - not just for marinades, but for everything IMO. I would add fish sauce and sugar to his list.

Another one is a tandoori style marinade, toasted spices (paprika, cumin, coriander) mixed into plain fresh yogurt along with some garlic and ginger. Yum...