narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
heat oven to 400F w/ some sort of pan / tray in it
slice one fennel bulb, crosswise
put on the heated tray, drizzle oil over it, and generously season w/ S&P
cook for ~10 minutes, turn if necessary, then add halibut steak to tray, also seasoned.
meanwhile, prepare a simple bed of greens. last night i used baby spinach, a small bit of chopped parsley, and watercress.
add finely chopped red onion
dress w/ EVOO, a bit of sherry vinegar, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
check on the fennel; if it's done before the fish, remove, cover and keep warm while the fish is still cooking (you can flip if you need to)_.
when the fish is done, top the greens w/ the roasted fennel and fish, and serve.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
one thing i might do a bit differently next time is to either broil or pan-sear then finish the halibut...roasting it like i did made it taste more like haddock...:think: which isn't a bad thing, really, but the texture was a tad different.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did the halibut w/ roasted fennel again last night...dressed w/ a batch of watercress, oil, lemon juice and a bit of chopped parsley.

side of boiled potatoes w/ a reduced balsamic & butter sauce, and green beans. a couple of glasses of Catena chardonnay rounded it out. tasty!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MizN8 hates fish, so we don't eat it much.

I've been on the look out for some fresh halibut at the store because I think she might like it's non-fishy taste.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
:think:

that must explain yr oceanphobia.

i am definitely trying to get my kids into eating more fish. the ruse which has worked so far is to call it 'stripey fish'; i got a filet of striped bass last summer when it was in season and they loved it. so alternates like halibut and chilean sea bass are ok. bummer is that they are expensive...gotta get the kids into salmon and haddock.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
:think:

that must explain yr oceanphobia.
Maybe. I grew up about an hour from Lake Huron which is ocean-like (can't see across it) and I always found it rather boring. I did like the Oregon coast when we visited, but more for the coast mountains and the tide pools. Ocean - nice place to visit, wouldn't need to live there.
i am definitely trying to get my kids into eating more fish. the ruse which has worked so far is to call it 'stripey fish'; i got a filet of striped bass last summer when it was in season and they loved it. so alternates like halibut and chilean sea bass are ok. bummer is that they are expensive...gotta get the kids into salmon and haddock.
My kids will eat it if they catch it. So they've had fresh trout a couple times. I hate that $hit - smells and tastes just like fish. :dead:

Actually my middle one likes salmon-fishy. :D

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I got addicted to eating halibut when I lived in the Aleutian Islands in the mid 80's.... that is some fine tasting fish!

I also got hooked on silver salmon too... fun to catch, fun to smoke and fun to eat!

:drool:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
My kids will eat it if they catch it. So they've had fresh trout a couple times. I hate that $hit - smells and tastes just like fish. :dead:

Actually my middle one likes salmon-fishy. :D

I love fresh trout. Caught in the early evening, cleaned and then boiled in some fresh stream water with some salt, pepper and fresh dill.

Excellent eating that is...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
N8 said:
I love fresh trout. Caught in the early eveing, cleaned and then boiled in some fresh stream water with some salt, pepper and fresh dill.

Excellent eating that is...
A buddy of mine makes a willow "tennis racket" device and then smokes 'em over the campfire. Still tasted fishy. :D

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
i didn't catch that the 1st time...who boils fish? :dead:

A japanese friend of my parents turned us on to it.

don't knock until you've tried it. It works very well on trout... I can't say about any other fish though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Who am I?
My name is Ish.
On my hand I have a dish.

I have this dish
to help me wish.

When I wish to make a wish
I wave my hand with a big swish swish.
Then I say, "I wish for fish!"
And I get fish right on my dish.

So...
if you wish to wish a wish,
you may swish for fish
with my Ish wish dish.

Sorry, guys. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OGRipper said:
Wow, I was hoping you meant to say "broiled." I mean, a gentle poach might be okay but seriously boiled? Can you tell us how you do it?
the only thing i can see coming from that is fish soup.