Quantcast

simple question

jonnyknox

Chimp
Sep 10, 2005
i was just talking with a friend today and he asked if i wanted to go biking with him,the only problem is so far i've only done alot of backcountry biking.I'm not to sure if my new bike though is capable of going off drops or good enough for downhill. This summer i bought a Kona dawg-matic for 1700$ in jasper, it has hydraulic brakes and full suspension,ect.(http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/product_detail.aspx?productid=97&parentid=182). but do you think i could use this from dirt jumps and downhill and ect?or should i stick with cross country?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
It is def. a sweet ride for XC and All Mountain stuff, but I dont think it will hold up to the beating of DH and large drops.

jonnyknox

Chimp
Sep 10, 2005
welll i probably will only do like 5 foot drops at most for the time being, nothing to hard...I just want to try out downhill and see what its like.

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
personally i'd say go for it! as long as you're not doing chairlift access downhill. I have a similar bike, cdale jekyll. i do everything on it. dh, fr, dj, street, xc. if you're good enough, imo, you'd have no problem doing some dh, fr, or djs. you might want to throw on some bigger tires tho. then your only worry should be having to true your rims more often.

I will remind you that your bike is not meant to do these thing, but is capable to do them to a certain point. by that i mean, no 30 foot gaps and 10 foot drops! haha. it all depends on your riding style how far you can push this bike.

So go out and have some fun riding with your friend!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I am going to agree with him too. Sometimes it depends on your ride style too. If you suck at landing those 5 footers then your bike is going to go down fast. Also, with that abuse, you might have to get that shock rebuilt more often.

jonnyknox

Chimp
Sep 10, 2005
yea ill probably to smaller stuff to see what type of style i have exactly.....but yea shocks already have been a problem but i dont think its from wear and tear either.