Quantcast

simple question

jonnyknox

Chimp
Sep 10, 2005
i was just wondering what exactly freeride is.....is it like dirt jumps and some downhill or what......i new to all these different types of biking and im just wondering.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My definition is downhill, but not on a closed course. It is very unlimited and open to what ever. It can be hucking, hitting downhill jumps , doing wooden stunts, riding singletrack, etc.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i see downhill as being a race oriented sport... like going down hills fast

and freeride, is well, just that. Go out with your bike and huck off stuff, ride down hills, jump doubles, ride skinnys. Just be extreme (haha) Its not a timed race style

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
freeride is way to good for a deffinition. pointless thread that is not needed.

aka: the deffinition is up to you man. no one can tell you what freeriding is. freeriding is what you want it to be. that is the deffinition. :thumb:

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
frznnomad said:
freeride is way to good for a deffinition. pointless thread that is not needed.

aka: the deffinition is up to you man. no one can tell you what freeriding is. freeriding is what you want it to be. that is the deffinition. :thumb:
I totally agree!! It's whatever style of riding makes you feel free. For me, it's hucking :D ......for others, it might be singletrack......you decide :think:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I rode to the shops the other day, but I didn't stay on the pavement! I dropped of the kerbs, and bunnyhopped up them, and rode against the traffic, and I even did a skid. Now that's freeride. GNARCORE!

I was carrying a plastic bag on the way home so I was far less rad. :(

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
To (hopefully) add to the discussion... What do you think is more "important", or "freeride".... STYLE or SPEED?

I don't race, I am slower than everyone else but I'll usually hit anything anyone else does. (Unless it's just plain obvious that I'll hurt myself). I may do it slower, but I try to do it with a little style.

Am I freeride yet? Or should I go back to the lounge?

:D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There's a phrase that's been around for years that somehow got replaced by "freeriding." It's called "mountain biking." :D

Seriously, there is no accepted definition of freeriding. Some think freeriding means going out and hitting the nastiest, burliest stunts you can find. Some think it means riding off of designated trails. To me it just means doing what I've always done: Getting out for a ride, any ride, and pushing personal limits focusing more on flow, style, and air than absolute speed. It's about getting my kicks rather than winning. Or make that, rather than making someone else lose.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Did anyone read Mike Ferrentino's article in Bike a while back called Payriding? It's the opposite of freeriding. Instead of getting a 4k bike and finding the nastiest trails, you find the cheapest, worst bike possible and try to ride a normal trail.

Instead of getting the balls to do a 20ft gap, you can get the balls to do the downhill section of your local loop with a old cruiser, front flat, no chain and one pedal.