Quantcast

Simply incredible....

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
ummm....is it supposed to be some kind of perpetual motion machine? or maybe something to scare little children off of the beach?:hmm::brow:

i'm actually kind of curious if there is a purpose or goal of some sort.....or if this is just some crazy foreign dude making pneumatic pets.....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ummm....is it supposed to be some kind of perpetual motion machine? or maybe something to scare little children off of the beach?:hmm::brow:

i'm actually kind of curious if there is a purpose or goal of some sort.....or if this is just some crazy foreign dude making pneumatic pets.....
Artificial intelligence.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I dig that...

a few years back there was a pretty cool "BEAM" robotics movement... but these things are pretty cool and really basic!

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
He is obviously some sort of idiot then. I mean he can't even speak properly! What a dunce!
And as for the contraptions he has made, well I am sure we all made those years ago!
Lets post our own better inventions here! Oh yeah, hang on, we don't have batteries in the cameras...

But christ. He sure made a fool of himself.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How does a walking PVC pipe "machine" = Artificial intelligence"? I do think they are pretty cool. I just don't see how the presenter can refer to them as "life".
I'd say the key element in his 'invention' isn't that he's made "life", but that he's gotten people to re-think what "life" is.

For one thing, people trying to build AI have been over thinking it way too much. Life is simple. One guy figured a computer would spontaneously become sentient by simply feeding it an enormous amount of data and letting it grow like a child. That's how it'll eventually happen, tho his project didn't get very far.

As for this dude's 'bugs', how is it so different from others? He's growing them, giving them a fundamental understanding of their existence, making them self-sufficient, releasing them and watching them react to their environment.

It's a very cool beginning.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
How does a walking PVC pipe "machine" = Artificial intelligence"? I do think they are pretty cool. I just don't see how the presenter can refer to them as "life".
I didn't quite follow how it could "learn" either. Seems like everything was programmed mechanically to react to various stimuli.

It's basically a mechanical computer, something Leonardo da Vinci came up with going on 550 years ago, with legs.

EDIT: Also, it can't reproduce itself. I'm not sure you can call something "life" if it doesn't have the capablity to propitiate.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I can't tell if that guy is nuts or brilliant. My dad loves his work, We went to Monterey to see some a while back.

Check out Andy Goldsworthy

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
I just got back from a convention this week and he was one of the guest speakers on Tuesday. He joked around a lot, but it was kind of weird to listen to him talk about them being alive and evolving. Neat stuff but the guy is definitely... Shall we say "dedicated?"