Quantcast

Since everyone is asking about tires....

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
If you run different sized tires, do you put the bigger one on the front, or back?

I have a 2.7 Highroller on the front, and a 2.5 mobster on the back. I figure, the front needs more traction, its first into the turns.

But, people tell me this is backwards...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by BigMike

But, people tell me this is backwards...
People also watch "Friends" and buy H2s to take their 1 kid grocery shopping on pavement.

Bigger up front is choice for everything except trials where more that half of life is sticking your back wheel on cars, bike racks, dogs etc.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Bigger up front. Smaller in the back.

Unlike cars and motorcycles, we have no traction issues in the back due to excess power, so we can get away with a smaller back tire.

Mar 27, 2004
baltimore and boulder
What they said, unless you are real heavy I would say just do maxxis 2.5 front and rear, if you are gonna do offset bigger goes in front. Tire compound and quality of design is more important than size when it comes to traction. I like the slow reazzay minnion the best. Michelins are pretty grippy, but I see to many people flat on them to use them for racing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Only time I hear about people running bigger tires in the back is for trials or hucker hardtails where they want a little bit of extra cush so they throw a Gazzy 3.0 on there and run it at 12psi or whatever.

Bigger = Front.